Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Ok back on topic now please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

Does anybody know if there is further ASP Training planned in Templemore for those attested Reserves who missed out last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

KIERAN61 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there is further ASP Training planned in Templemore for those attested Reserves who missed out last time.

Best bet is to ring them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

KIERAN61 wrote: »

We may be organising training in Gorey would you be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

Hi All

Can anybody tell me what the story is for the Garda Reserve, when you sign up, and get through the process how is it decided to which station you get placed?

I'd assume, somebody couldnt be sent to a station in Donegal if they lived in Waterford.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

heya shanehillview its hr who decide what station you go to in phase 3 back in the college and phase 4 is operational policing. but dont worry its noting like the full time in regard that if your from waterford that you d be stationed in donegal. HR will station you in a divionsial hq closest to you but it wont b the town where you live or work. you wouldnt be traveling more then 20miles anyway.:D

thanks da_flash, the divisional hq is my local station but the next closest station would be an area hq, other than that the next big station would be 40 miles.

considering siging up for the reserves, think it would look good when the full timers start recruiting. will have to do a some research into the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

da__flash wrote: »
    heya shanehillview its hr who decide what station you go to in phase 3 back in the college and phase 4 is operational policing. but dont worry its noting like the full time in regard that if your from waterford that you d be stationed in donegal. HR will station you in a divionsial hq closest to you but it wont b the town where you live or work. you wouldnt be traveling more then 20miles anyway.:D

Hiya shanehillview...
    well actually as a reserve for some time.. i actually live 25 miles away from my station that i am assigned to.i live in between 2 towns in the countryside .. both towns have stations and am known in both towns so it best for me to go to the big smoke and not be known.. i usually do some shopping before i start my hrs and go for a coffee after my shift so i make best use of my time in the reserve...

thanks trailman, what kind of hours do you have to commit, as i work in a bank i would have to do most of my time at weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

thanks trailman, what kind of hours do you have to commit, as i work in a bank i would have to do most of my time at weekends

well as you work in a bank the weekends would be your best bet .
    you could do a minimum of 4hrs but if you have to travel it would be best to to do a full units roster of 8 hrs.. you could work on a friday nite every now and again from 10pm to either 2 am or full roster to 6am..
    or anytime saturday or sunday up to 10pm on sunday as i would imagine that you would want your sunday nights sleep for the bank on monday morning unless its a bank holiday weekend which gives you monday as an option.. really its best to do a full 8hrs shift as if you have to travel a bit then the 1000euro annual allowance just about covers the expense of travel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

thanks da_flash, the divisional hq is my local station but the next closest station would be an area hq, other than that the next big station would be 40 miles.

considering siging up for the reserves, think it would look good when the full timers start recruiting. will have to do a some research into the whole thing
    If you are considering joining fulltime then you will find the Reserves very benifical.It will give you great insight into the force and what you ultimately want to sign up to.Waterford has 3 stations currently where they have Reserves Waterford City, Tramore and Dungarvan. Not sure if they have any in Dungarvan yet though. And yes you could be detailed to Waterford City even though your from the City. Waterford is a training station and is very busy I believe the second busiest outside of Store St in Dublin. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

freddiew wrote: »
    We may be organising training in Gorey would you be interested?

Who is orginising it, and is it been done thru the collage, or what can you tell me, when is the date planned for do you know, and what is the amount of people that can partake in any one session.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wetgarden

Hi all,

I've a question about recruitment for the fulltime Garda.

I'm 33 and will be 34 in November. I'm thinking of applying for the full time force if/when they start to recruit again.
    Because I'm older, I have a lot of experience in dealing with the public and know or at least like to think I would make an excellent member of the force. I don’t want to sound very smart/sure of myself, but I feel I would have a lot to bring to the force. (like everyone who joins!!!). I work as an Engineer and deal with people on an on-going basis (meetings/delegation/decisions etc.).

I know I should have applied before this but with college, work, life, etc. I never did.

I know the age limit is 35, but does anyone have any idea as when they might possibly lift the recruitment ban (maybe before I'm 35). If I was 35/36, would this be an issue or would I be entitled to apply.

I would be grateful for any feedback on this, maybe from some full time members also.

Thanks guys
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

I'm 27 now and have passed everything and waiting for call, but there's no indication that they'll recruit before im 35.....you just dont know whats going to happen and i cant see them changing the age limit as you nee 30 years service before you retire and 65 is max age for retirement,
    I dont think they'll change this just because you feel your a better canditate due to your age and experience.
    I'm sure there are 45 year olds out there with more experience than yourself.
    I dont mean to sound bad but there are a lot of engineers and architects who are finding it hard to get work due to the construction sectors demise and that feel they could make better garda cause they went to college,
    Hopefully if this is what yo reall want you will get in.....they cant keep the ban on recruitment much longer as its creating an awful strain on the force at the moment and all the retirements arent helping...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

itsallgood wrote: »
    I'm 27 now and have passed everything and waiting for call, but there's no indication that they'll recruit before im 35.....you just dont know whats going to happen and i cant see them changing the age limit as you nee 30 years service before you retire and 65 is max age for retirement,
    I dont think they'll change this just because you feel your a better canditate due to your age and experience.
    I dont mean to sound bad but there are a lot of engineers and architects who are finding it hard to get work due to the construction sectors demise and that feel they could make better garda cause they went to college,
    Hopefully if this is what yo reall want you will get in.....they cant keep the ban on recruitment much longer as its creating an awful strain on the force at the moment and all the retirements arent helping...

Agree with what you said there:D:D

itsallgood wrote: »

Well I have to say, you have gotten the wrong end of the stick. I was just making the comment where I work at the moment (thank god, I have a job in this current climate and believe me I'm very grateful - sure that could go tomorrow!). I know several people (very close to myself) who have been made umemployed and 'm sure would make excellent members to the force.

I wasn't meant in a smart manner and I think you know that. I'm sure there are thousands whom would make better members to the force. I was just a comment for Gods sake!!

Even if I was umemployed at the moment, I was just making the point that it would be great to get in as my age and the recruitment ban are against me, thats all.
    Chill out! If I've offended anyone, my apologies but that was not meant in any way and I think you know that!

I was just wondering did anyone know how long more would this recruitment ban would last for!
    :D:confused::mad:

wetgarden wrote: »
    Well I have to say, you have gotten the wrong end of the stick. I was just making the comment where I work at the moment (thank god, I have a job in this current climate and believe me I'm very grateful - sure that could go tomorrow!). I know several people (very close to myself) who have been made umemployed and 'm sure would make excellent members to the force.

I wasn't meant in a smart manner and I think you know that. I'm sure there are thousands whom would make better members to the force. I was just a comment for Gods sake!!

Even if I was umemployed at the moment, I was just making the point that it would be great to get in as my age is against me, thats all.
    Chill out! If I've offended anyone, my apologies but that was not meant in any way and I think you know that!

I was just wondering did anyone know how long more would this recruitment ban would last for!
    :D:confused::mad:

Reread allgoods post there...don't know if they were implying that you were unemployed, I'm sure they didn't mean it:D
    I agree though with what they said about there being an age limit for the 30 years service thing. And also the point that if it's what you really want, hope you get it:D
    With regards to the ban on recruitment, I wish I could tell ya when they will start up recruitment again but I can't, don't think anyone knows:(
    Have you applied for the reserves?

wetgarden wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've a question about recruitment for the fulltime Garda.

I'm 33 and will be 34 in November. I'm thinking of applying for the full time force if/when they start to recruit again.
    Because I'm older, I have a lot of experience in dealing with the public and know or at least like to think I would make an excellent member of the force. I don’t want to sound very smart/sure of myself, but I feel I would have a lot to bring to the force. (like everyone who joins!!!). I work as an Engineer and deal with people on an on-going basis (meetings/delegation/decisions etc.).

I know I should have applied before this but with college, work, life, etc. I never did.

I know the age limit is 35, but does anyone have any idea as when they might possibly lift the recruitment ban (maybe before I'm 35). If I was 35/36, would this be an issue or would I be entitled to apply.

I would be grateful for any feedback on this, maybe from some full time members also.

Thanks guys
    :confused:

Hi Wet Garden

I have attached a link to the thread for applying to the fulltime Gardai, you may be able to find some information in there that you are looking for. Its a good place to find information. You might want to try your query about recruitment age in there.

Shane

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289429&page=126

• Registered Users Posts: 34 limerick2009

i would imagine anyone who is awaiting bk checks a while for garda reserve should be hearing any day now regards a medical.that's on the asumption that a class is being taken to templemore next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

i would imagine anyone who is awaiting bk checks a while for garda reserve should be hearing any day now regards a medical.that's on the asumption that a class is being taken to templemore next month.

i hope so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Not surprisingly I rang HQ today to see what the craic with my form was. Initially said form was prob lost or not sent in yet but when checked said that it had just arrived in the post yesterday and would now be sent on to be checked! whew!! Havent had the sergeant or supers interview yet but person I spoke to told me that the local district station where I submitted has a big backlog of interviews to be conducted. Also confirmed that there would be an intake in both september and november so fingers crossed will have checks ok'd by then. Weird tho how my BR check took 2 months to get from the station to HQ, its there now so thats the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Richiedelight

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Who is orginising it, and is it been done thru the collage, or what can you tell me, when is the date planned for do you know, and what is the amount of people that can partake in any one session.:)

hi there,
    what training is happening in gorey? thats my station....

Hi Wet Garden

I have attached a link to the thread for applying to the fulltime Gardai, you may be able to find some information in there that you are looking for. Its a good place to find information. You might want to try your query about recruitment age in there.

Shane

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289429&page=126

Thanks Shanehillview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

hey guys:)
    i know this question might seem a bit stupid but one of my two referres spelled my name wrong and correct on my the reference itself do you think this will be seen as a big deal or am i overreacting?
    Cheers

hey guys:)
    i know this question might seem a bit stupid but one of my two referres spelled my name wrong and correct on my the reference itself do you think this will be seen as a big deal or am i overreacting?
    Cheers

its not a big deal!!! its not like you can write the thing for him to make sure he spells everything right!!!! dont worry its all good!!

its not a big deal!!! its not like you can write the thing for him to make sure he spells everything right!!!! dont worry its all good!!
    Cheers Dental Nurse im dreading sending this form in iv a feeling somethings going to go wrong :L
    are u currently a member or awaiting a response?

Cheers Dental Nurse im dreading sending this form in iv a feeling somethings going to go wrong :L
    are u currently a member or awaiting a response?

No problem,
    i know its daunting sending them off, im so worried about them!!
    Yeah im waiting on the background checks..... taking forever!! :D

No problem,
    i know its daunting sending them off, im so worried about them!!
    Yeah im waiting on the background checks..... taking forever!! :D
    How long have u being waiting?i done my interview a few weeks ago my form is jus about ready :D
    have u had ur meetings yet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

How long have u being waiting?i done my interview a few weeks ago my form is jus about ready :D
    have u had ur meetings yet?

Hi Eliezer Powerful Signal

People on this forum have been warned and infracted for their use of text speak. Because you're new, I will ask you not to use "u" for "you" and "ur" for "you're", and so on. Your first post on the forum started off "Hi 2 evry1..." so I would ask that you read this before you post again.

It's against the forum charter to use txtspk, so please desist.

Thanks, and back on topic.

• Advertisement

Having difficulty getting some relatives dates of birth for my form BR:(
    A friend directed me to the general register office, sent them an email but they have stated that I will need to fill in application forms and pay fees to get the details:confused:
    Anybody have any other ideas?it would be a great help:D

Advertisement