Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

spudz21 wrote: »
    Having difficulty getting some relatives dates of birth for my form BR:(
    A friend directed me to the general register office, sent them an email but they have stated that I will need to fill in application forms and pay fees to get the details:confused:
    Anybody have any other ideas?it would be a great help:D

Just ring them up. I rang them up twice and they gave me all the DOB's I needed over the phone.....and they were extremely helpful! Just google them and you'll get the number for the office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

sf94 wrote: »
    Just ring them up. I rang them up twice and they gave me all the DOB's I needed over the phone.....and they were extremely helpful! Just google them and you'll get the number for the office

Thanks, I'll try them tomorrow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

spudz21 wrote: »
    Having difficulty getting some relatives dates of birth for my form BR:(
    A friend directed me to the general register office, sent them an email but they have stated that I will need to fill in application forms and pay fees to get the details:confused:
    Anybody have any other ideas?it would be a great help:D

I just rang my relatives up. Some weren't exactly a barrel of laughs about giving away such info but they gave it. Would it not be an option to just ask them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

How long have u being waiting?i done my interview a few weeks ago my form is jus about ready :D
    have u had ur meetings yet?

i applied in feb, interview in april,sent off form br in june and had both interviews the same week! so just waiting now to see if i passed.... all thats left is medical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Echo1

Thought this would be the best place to post this. Iv decided id like to do my Dissertation on the Garda Reserve but as I wasnt a member I thought serving Reserve's could help suggest a topic area. Im thinking something along the lines of 'Are Garda Reserves adequately trained (or empowered) to furfil their intended function' Im not looking to slate The GR etc I have a genuine interest. Any feedback or suggetions would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Echo1 wrote: »
    Thought this would be the best place to post this. Iv decided id like to do my Dissertation on the Garda Reserve but as I wasnt a member I thought serving Reserve's could help suggest a topic area. Im thinking something along the lines of 'Are Garda Reserves adequately trained (or empowered) to furfil their intended function' Im not looking to slate The GR etc I have a genuine interest. Any feedback or suggetions would be appreciated.
    I work in research myself. Issues to consider would include methodology to be employed, how to contact participants (boards.ie members would not be representative of the group), how you would get clearance from Garda HQ to sample from a more representative list, etc. PM me if you have any specific questions. Sounds like you'll be employing a qualitative design?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    I work in research myself. Issues to consider would include methodology to be employed, how to contact participants (boards.ie members would not be representative of the group), how you would get clearance from Garda HQ to sample from a more representative list, etc. PM me if you have any specific questions. Sounds like you'll be employing a qualitative design?

Hiya egg...
    as a serving member of the reserve personally i think that the concept is working well so far... so good.. but having being out on the beat especially late at night and when people with alcohol consumed or perhaps on some other substance.. things can get hairy and whether you are full time or a reserve you wear the same uniform and would be expected to pull your weight to protect your collegue if required or vice versa applies..
    its only a matter of time until a reserve gets hurt in the line of duty...
    when this happens the reserve gardai concept will hit the front page....

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

trail man wrote: »
    when this happens the reserve gardai concept will hit the front page....

Was only thinking this myself the other day that if a reserve was to get injured on duty the GRA will be using that as an excuse to get it scrapped but then again I thought sure why would a reserve getting injured be grounds for the concept to be looked at ? as the regulars still get injured with all their better training, so it's no different for the reserves,full time member or reserve you're still running the risk of getting injured and still will get injured no matter how much training you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

CO19 wrote: »
    Was only thinking this myself the other day that if a reserve was to get injured on duty the GRA will be using that as an excuse to get it scrapped but then again I thought sure why would a reserve getting injured be grounds for the concept to be looked at ? as the regulars still get injured with all their better training, so it's no different for the reserves,full time member or reserve you're still running the risk of getting injured no matter how much training you have.

spot on co19...
    also anything that saves the goverment money in these recession days will not be scrapped.. maybe reviewed at best ....
    we will have to wait and see how things unfold in in that dept...
    its somewhat like having an a bad bend on a road.. an accident has to happen before it hits the spotlight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

hi there,
    what training is happening in gorey? thats my station....

This is the info i got from page 192 on these threads read back you will see it
    freddiew wrote: »
    We may be organising training in Gorey would you be interested?

That is to do with the asp training but i cannot find any more info about it sorry:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

CO19 wrote: »
    Was only thinking this myself the other day that if a reserve was to get injured on duty the GRA will be using that as an excuse to get it scrapped but then again I thought sure why would a reserve getting injured be grounds for the concept to be looked at ? as the regulars still get injured with all their better training, so it's no different for the reserves,full time member or reserve you're still running the risk of getting injured and still will get injured no matter how much training you have.

Lads, I recall reading that a reserve was seriously injured as a result of physical attack on his first month of service in Templebar in Dublin back in 2007. As far as I remember he was the Chinese lad who was one of the first reservists.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    This is the info i got from page 192 on these threads read back you will see it

That is to do with the asp training but i cannot find any more info about it sorry:(
    hi there,
    what training is happening in gorey? thats my station....

ASP training may be happening in a venue in Gorey not the Station if there are enough to do it, it will save a trip to Templemore. Are you interested? Are you Fulltime or GR.

freddiew wrote: »
    ASP training may be happening in a venue in Gorey not the Station if there are enough to do it, it will save a trip to Templemore. Are you interested? Are you Fulltime or GR.

GR there would prob be about 20 people in my class willing to do it if it was available for us to take up we are all now on phase4 at the present time;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Hey lads, since when have GR been issued with ASPs, and is the training done in the college??

Hey lads, since when have GR been issued with ASPs, and is the training done in the college??

They have been getting them for a while now, as they no longer issue the wooden baton any longer, asp training for other GR is already underway at the collage at the present time, just their is a back log at the moment, so if we could get it done else where it would be great.

They have been getting them for a while now, as they no longer issue the wooden baton any longer, asp training for other GR is already underway at the collage at the present time, just their is a back log at the moment, so if we could get it done else where it would be great.

Thanks for that, so I presume they will recall all our reserves at some stage to train up.

Thanks for that, so I presume they will recall all our reserves at some stage to train up.

Yes some have already done it, so its just a matter of time before the rest of us are called.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 limerick2009

hello all
    i am hoping to get a call any day now in relation to a medical for the gr as my application has been active for quiet a long time.so far so good.i hear there is a class starting training in september.for anyone to be called to training in september i would imagine a call for the medical should be very soon.would be glad to hear from anyone in a similar position to me.has anyone heard about gr medicals taking place soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

hello all
    i am hoping to get a call any day now in relation to a medical for the gr as my application has been active for quiet a long time.so far so good.i hear there is a class starting training in september.for anyone to be called to training in september i would imagine a call for the medical should be very soon.would be glad to hear from anyone in a similar position to me.has anyone heard about gr medicals taking place soon.

You could get the call for the medical on the week before you go down for phase one or even a day or two before the start of phase 1 training,happened a good lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Abed wrote: »
    Lads, I recall reading that a reserve was seriously injured as a result of physical attack on his first month of service in Templebar in Dublin back in 2007. As far as I remember he was the Chinese lad who was one of the first reservists.

He wasn't a reservist, he was a student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

cushtac wrote: »
    He wasn't a reservist, he was a student.
    I think Cushtac's right about him being a full-timer - but not a student, it seems.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2007/12/01/story49335.asp

What would ye all make of pepper spray being introduced over the next while?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wetgarden

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    I think Cushtac's right about him being a full-timer - but not a student, it seems.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2007/12/01/story49335.asp

What would ye all make of pepper spray being introduced over the next while?

I think it should be introduced without hesitation. Crime in my opinion seems to be on the rise in particular lately with the poor state of the economy (and I think it will only get worse). Those scumbags out there are laughing at the gardai and in my opinion any extra equipment that can be provided for their safety and the safety of others is more than welcome:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

He was a student at the time, the Examiner have it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

Hey Guys just handed in my BR Form at last :)
    can anybody tell me what the next stage is?
    the sergent never came out to see me the guard at the desk just said he would send the form off?
    and with regards to the medical how difficult is it to pass as my hearing is not 100%?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭gailgo

hi any one going for interwiew in galway 22-24th of september

cushtac wrote: »
    He was a student at the time, the Examiner have it wrong.

Yes you are correct in that he is from pearse st station

there was also a reserve assaulted but he was doing his regular job as a Bus Driver and that happened in Clanbrassil st. ;)

Yes you are correct in that he is from pearse st station

there was also a reserve assaulted but he was doing his regular job as a Bus Driver and that happened in Clanbrassil st. ;)

Then would I be right in pointing out he wasnt a reserve at the time of the assault.....he was a bus driver??

Then would I be right in pointing out he wasnt a reserve at the time of the assault.....he was a bus driver??

He is still a serving member, he was not be on duty at that time, but yes he was assaulted while working in his permanent position, as a bus driver

Hope the TheNog dont mind me putting this in here, just to make any reserve members, or full time members aware of the problems with the new asp handcuffs, if its a problem please remove it thanks. :eek:
    TheNog wrote: »
    First time I saw the handcuffs I had already seen this vid and its true. Very easy to do without much pressure at all :eek:

Cheap as chips tbh

you can find the full thread on the link below

Asp Handcuffs here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just a tip and minor rant re the Reserve BR form -

I handed mine in about 6 weeks ago but was a tad nervous at the time cos I wasn't sure I'd everything with me (basically made myself look like an eejit altogether, totally unbecoming to a Garda/Reserve :P ) - end result I never made sure your man took a copy of the receipt, and he didnt. End result was I rang them and in fact they never received it at HQ, they're chasing it up now.

Just make sure you go through the motions to avoid delays - it's understandable that many full time members may not have processed a reserve application before and therefore may not be fully familiar with what to do with it.

Advertisement