Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Unfortunately the exact same thing happened to me, I second that advice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TomOC20

How are we people.....first post today :)

I applied for the reserve at the end of may and got my letter today for an interview in 10 days time :D

I just want to get some info, so far I think the topics asked will be:

1. Why do you want to join the Reserve Gards?
    2. Do you work any shifts in your job?
    3. How to handle certain situations ?
    4. Community involvement

Also I know people are saying wear a suit !?! I know its best but its not my preference, is shirt slacks and shoes acceptable do we think ?

Also the letter says bring your original plus a copy of your birth and educational certs plus photo ID !! whats the original ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

TomOC20 wrote: »
    How are we people.....first post today :)

I applied for the reserve at the end of may and got my letter today for an interview in 10 days time :D

I just want to get some info, so far I think the topics asked will be:

1. Why do you want to join the Reserve Gards?
    2. Do you work any shifts in your job?
    3. How to handle certain situations ?
    4. Community involvement

Also I know people are saying wear a suit !?! I know its best but its not my preference, is shirt slacks and shoes acceptable do we think ?

Also the letter says bring your original plus a copy of your birth and educational certs plus photo ID !! whats the original ?????

Hey TomOC
    i had my interview a few weeks it went well..
    they just focused on difficult situations and what you done in that situation (how you handled it)
    and your voluntary work do you help out in the community etc..
    youll be interviewed by a member of the guards and somebody from public jobs..
    i think a shirt & slacks would be fine but not jeans..
    just be confident an you should be grand:)..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 colmwills

Hey Guys. only my 2nd post, just a quick Q for you all, is any body else waiting to start the training, I passed my interveiw and I met with the inspector on Friday, I,m in Donegal. Is any body else waiting and do they know how long it will be, All info welcome.Thanks

i was just wondering is anybody on here a GR member yet and if so can they tell me if you passed the first interview are you basically in providing your BR form is ok and you pass the medical?
    is the meeting with the sergent and super difficult or jus a chat?
    reply would be appreciated Cheers:)

• Advertisement

colmwills wrote: »
    Hey Guys. only my 2nd post, just a quick Q for you all, is any body else waiting to start the training, I passed my interveiw and I met with the inspector on Friday, I,m in Donegal. Is any body else waiting and do they know how long it will be, All info welcome.Thanks

Hey man iv heard theres an intake in september and november so maybe youll be in that batch.
    ive just handed my BR form in so waiting on that.
    how did the super interview go?whats it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Hey TomOC
    i had my interview a few weeks it went well..
    they just focused on difficult situations and what you done in that situation (how you handled it)
    and your voluntary work do you help out in the community etc..
    youll be interviewed by a member of the guards and somebody from public jobs..
    i think a shirt & slacks would be fine but not jeans..
    just be confident an you should be grand:)..
    At around the same stage as yourself, Eliezer Powerful Signal. From what I've read/heard over the past few months, nobody seems to have been turned away following a super interview - and these are usually quite informal compared to the initial PAS interview. I imagine some people may fail the medial due to being overweight, too short-sighted, etc, but there doesn't seem to be many people - at least not on Boards.ie - saying that they've been rejected at that stage. What makes it difficult to gauge is the fact that, if people are turned away following a medical or BR check, I'm thinking they might not exactly be rushing to the computer to leave a post to that effect. Here's hoping a slight paunch and contact lenses won't rule me out! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

i was just wondering is anybody on here a GR member yet and if so can they tell me if you passed the first interview are you basically in providing your BR form is ok and you pass the medical?
    is the meeting with the sergent and super difficult or jus a chat?
    reply would be appreciated Cheers:)

Yes, no need to worry about chat with Serg./Inspector, you are on the way once the checks are completed which could take some months.

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    At around the same stage as yourself, J.C. From what I've read/heard over the past few months, nobody seems to have been turned away following a super interview - and these are usually quite informal compared to the initial PAS interview. I imagine some people may fail the medial due to being overweight, too short-sighted, etc, but there doesn't seem to be many people - at least not on Boards.ie - saying that they've been rejected at that stage. What makes it difficult to gauge is the fact that, if people are turned away following a medical or BR check, I'm thinking they might not exactly be rushing to the computer to leave a post to that effect. Here's hoping a slight paunch and contact lenses won't rule me out! ;)

hi EGOSHEA.it take so long to get everthing sorted i dont like the waiting game :pac: but sure it has to be done.i'd hate to get that far and to fail the medical my hearing isnt the best so im a bit worried..when did you do your interview?have you done your super?

freddiew wrote: »
    Yes, no need to worry about chat with Serg./Inspector, you are on the way once the checks are completed which could take some months.
    Cheers Freddiew thats a weight of my shoulders :)
    are you a member or are you still in the process if ya dont mind me asking:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 limerick2009

hi all
    it is no wonder that they are so few garda reserve qualified or in training due to the length of time it takes to be accepted in the first place.the amount of time it takes from initial application to being accepted for training seems to go on forever.the initial government plan when reserve was setup regarding the numbers is well gone out the window now.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

hi all
    it is no wonder that they are so few garda reserve qualified or in training due to the length of time it takes to be accepted in the first place.the amount of time it takes from initial application to being accepted for training seems to go on forever.the initial government plan when reserve was setup regarding the numbers is well gone out the window now.:)

You'd be surprised it's still on track.

Besides it's a good thing it takes so long, it's important that the checks are done correctly and they do take awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

You'd be surprised it's still on track.

Besides it's a good thing it takes so long, it's important that the checks are done correctly and they do take awhile.

thats correct murphy...
    everyone who are now in the reserve had to wait too..
    AS THE SAYING GOES EVERYTHING COMES TO THOSE WHO WAIT...
    be patient and dont give up at the last fence...
    trail man...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

The only problem is that say as an exmaple you were thinking of undertaking a course at the weekends or something i.e in my case a post grad study course, being left to wait may disrupt the plans for people like me who have applied for the reserves and wiating to be called for a medical i.e I don't know if I would have the time to work full time, study part time, have a social life and put in the hours each week for the reserves.
    hi all

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tashamc

Hi guys, has anyone heard when the next grad is? An approx month as i know they're subject to change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

we were told we'd have a September graduation when we were in Templemore for phase 3 in April, but I haven't heard anything since to confirm or deny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

stiofanD wrote: »
    we were told we'd have a September graduation when we were in Templemore for phase 3 in April, but I haven't heard anything since to confirm or deny that.

and we did phase 3 in july where we were told grad might be october/november..

hurry up and wait:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

anybody hear anything yet???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

freddiew wrote: »

Hi Freddie any chance of answering the pm i sent you, re the asp training in Gorey thanks. :confused:

no news on medical still.surely anyday now in relation to the september intake for people who submitted application a long time.i am hanging by the phone:)

• Advertisement

no news on medical still.surely anyday now in relation to the september intake for people who submitted application a long time.i am hanging by the phone:)

I doubt if you were not called for a medical as of yet you will be taking in this September. I am in the same both. These background checks must be very time consuming.

you never know the call may come soon fingers crossed.apparently you can be called for a medical very soon before the intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

There seems to be a bit of talk on here of September and November intakes. Just wondering has anyone on here actually been called about going down on the September intake?

I passed the medical about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard a thing!!

you never know the call may come soon fingers crossed.apparently you can be called for a medical very soon before the intake.

yeah i know a guy who did the medical on the thurs and was asked to start training on the monday

sf94 wrote: »
    There seems to be a bit of talk on here of September and November intakes. Just wondering has anyone on here actually been called about going down on the September intake?

I passed the medical about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard a thing!!

nobody has been called for it yet but if you ring hq they will tell you that there are intakes in sept and nov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

does everyone get called for an interview with the local Sargent. i have had the super interview and he said i wont here from them till the checks are complete, and that will be for the medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

No everyone doesn't, I only had interview with Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

I'm off on holidays for 3 weeks, anyone think I should contact local station to say I'll be away in case I get called for sergeants / supers interview?

yeah i know a guy who did the medical on the thurs and was asked to start training on the monday

I thought you can't be called to training on a weekday i.e its weekends only. What if you work full time Monday to Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

billyhead wrote: »
    I thought you can't be called to training on a weekday i.e its weekends only. What if you work full time Monday to Friday

Probably meant he got the call to start the training on the Monday

Advertisement