Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

Probably meant he got the call to start the training on the Monday

But if you work Mondays i.e Monday to Friday. I presumed all training in templemore takes place at the weekkends

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

billyhead wrote: »
    But if you work Mondays i.e Monday to Friday. I presumed all training in templemore takes place at the weekkends

:confused:

All training takes place at the weekend.

What I said was, he probably got a call on his phone on the Monday to start training some weekend in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

:confused:

All training takes place at the weekend.

What I said was, he probably got a call on his phone on the Monday to start training some weekend in the future.

Due to cut backs in overtime, weekends are not on the cards at the present time.

You could be asked to go midweek, or Thursday night to be ready for training on the Friday morning at 8am.

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Due to cut backs in overtime, weekends are not on the cards at the present time.

You could be asked to go midweek, or Thursday night to be ready for training on the Friday morning at 8am.

So training for Reserves now happens during the week too?

So training for Reserves now happens during the week too?

Yep can happen mid week, or Fri and Sat, you go down on the Thursday night, as first train is not till 9am from Dublin, and your training starts around 8am just after breakfast.

So its either go down on the Thursday or drive down early Friday morning.

• Advertisement

Yep can happen mid week, or Fri and Sat, you go down on the Thursday night, as first train is not till 9am from Dublin, and your training starts around 8am just after breakfast.

So its either go down on the Thursday or drive down early Friday morning.

I know since I done it, Friday has been added as a potential day for training, but never heard of people going to Templemore during the week for it tho

I know since I done it, Friday has been added as a potential day for training, but never heard of people going to Templemore during the week for it tho

It has not been done as yet, but thats what they are talking about could happen, due to the cut backs so all im saying is be prepared.

As Saturday is also extra money for the trainers.

It has not been done as yet, but thats what they are talking about could happen, due to the cut backs so all im saying is be prepared.

As Saturday is also extra money for the trainers.

O right! hasn't happen yet.

Ah that will never happen. Sure people will have to get off work and stuff. Wouldn't believe that.
    Have you started yet or waiting to start?

O right! hasn't happen yet.

Ah that will never happen. Sure people will have to get off work and stuff. Wouldn't believe that.
    Have you started yet or waiting to start?

Oh i think it will happen at some point, it will be up to the person doing the training, they either can or they cant attend, you will be allowed time off to attend training, as they will give you a letter for your employer.

Yes on Phase4 at the present time, hopefully we who are on P4 now will be attested in October, fingers crossed.

Oh i think it will happen at some point, it will be up to the person doing the training, they either can or they cant attend, you will be allowed time off to attend training, as they will give you a letter for your employer.

Yes on Phase4 at the present time, hopefully we who are on P4 now will be attested in October, fingers crossed.

Ah thats grand if you're given an option so.

Good luck with the rest of phase 4

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

do we have any powers on phase 4, or it strictly observer only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 totallydaft

hey everyone! just wondering if ye pass the medical whats the next stage? just wondering if there is a fitness test to pass also? or is it pass the medical and wait to be called for training?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Yes, just pass the Medical and wait to be called to Templemore for Phase 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 totallydaft

freddiew wrote: »
    Yes, just pass the Medical and wait to be called to Templemore for Phase 1

thanks freddiew! thought there might be a fitness test same as the full-timers,gotta do some more waiting i guess!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 overandout

Hi, anyone got any feedback positive or negative from serving members so far ?
    as in enjoying it, not enjoying it, did you know in UK a special constable can sign in on a shift, then take the keys of a vehicle, sign it out to him/her, and go on patrol by themselves, GR here cant even drive whilst supervised, although I wonder will powers come in dribs and drabs, they should or people could get bored pretty soon ?

Any thoughts people ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

overandout wrote: »
    Hi, anyone got any feedback positive or negative from serving members so far ?
    as in enjoying it, not enjoying it, did you know in UK a special constable can sign in on a shift, then take the keys of a vehicle, sign it out to him/her, and go on patrol by themselves, GR here cant even drive whilst supervised, although I wonder will powers come in dribs and drabs, they should or people could get bored pretty soon ?

Any thoughts people ?
    from what i understand, this is inaccurate, my cousin is a member of the MPS Special Constabulary and is not authorised to patrol on his own or drive a patrol car as he sees fit. Yes they have more powers then the reserve, but not always aloud to use them, he spends most of his time manning the communication room, foot patrol with a PC, security at local and major event, traffic duties. This sounds similar to the role of the reserve. i think it is a good idea to point out that it is in the Garda siochanas and the public's interest that the garda reserve do not have the same powers and responsibility as a full time qualified member. to serve as a independent fully operational member of the garda siochana, you should have full training and work full time at developing your skills. some one who does a couple of hours a week cant develop the same knollage and experience. and i say this as a fan of the reserve and some one who is near the end of the application process. i think it is important that ever one who joins the reserve is clear that you dont hold the tank of garda, you hold the rank of garda reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

DK47 wrote: »
    from what i understand, this is inaccurate, my cousin is a member of the MPS Special Constabulary and is not authorised to patrol on his own or drive a patrol car as he sees fit. Yes they have more powers then the reserve, but not always aloud to use them, he spends most of his time manning the communication room, foot patrol with a PC, security at local and major event, traffic duties. This sounds similar to the role of the reserve. i think it is a good idea to point out that it is in the Garda siochanas and the public's interest that the garda reserve do not have the same powers and responsibility as a full time qualified member. to serve as a independent fully operational member of the garda siochana, you should have full training and work full time at developing your skills. some one who does a couple of hours a week cant develop the same knollage and experience. and i say this as a fan of the reserve and some one who is near the end of the application process. i think it is important that ever one who joins the reserve is clear that you dont hold the tank of garda, you hold the rank of garda reserve.
    Hi, I agree with most of what you say but I think the Reserves should have more powers and I know they will be getting them from next year, Fixed Penalty Fines + Can I remind you that some of the more mature Reserves have more development skills than the Full timers, they know how to speak to the public unlike some of the full time ones I have come across. Remember the Reserves have full time jobs and depending on their jobs HR for example they could teach the full timers a thing or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Hi, I agree with most of what you say but I think the Reserves should have more powers and I know they will be getting them from next year, Fixed Penalty Fines + Can I remind you that some of the more mature Reserves have more development skills than the Full timers, they know how to speak to the public unlike some of the full time ones I have come across. Remember the Reserves have full time jobs and depending on their jobs HR for example they could teach the full timers a thing or two.

May I point out that out of the 7 reserves we have had...only one is what I can describe as sane. He is a good worker and never complains about what he is detailed to do. Our two other reserves are nuts. Totally on a power trip. The other 4 were sacked in student and reserve phases......well asked to resign. And I know this comment will cause up roar, but reserves need to realise they are reserves and not full time member.

I am a huge supporter of the reserve idea.......but im very disapointed with the reserves coming out at present.

The powers reserves have are enough. They patrol with a full time member and if a ticket needs to be issued, the full member can do so. Remember students, who undergo more training, leave T/more on phase 2 with no powers........a problem that needs to be fixed. Couple of weeks ago a reserve turned to a student and in front of a nightclub said, sure your nothing but a student. I have more power than you........that reserve wont see the street anytime soon.

O and just to add.......again I am in full support of the reserves. As many posters here will testify...anyone who has PM'd me for advice on joining has been told forget what people tell you and give it a go!

thats very true freddiew, i think the point i was trying to make is that reserves should not be given the same powers as full times gardi, and i say that because knowing the way this country works we would have 14000 reserves and 400 gardi, ok i'm exaggerating i know. but i do agree that reserves should be given enough powers to do the best job poissible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 alwaysone

Although I agree that different people with different jobs can nuture seperate skill sets, to compare HR with policing is a bit of a stretch

May I point out that out of the 7 reserves we have had...only one is what I can describe as sane. He is a good worker and never complains about what he is detailed to do. Our two other reserves are nuts. Totally on a power trip. The other 4 were sacked in student and reserve phases......well asked to resign. And I know this comment will cause up roar, but reserves need to realise they are reserves and not full time member.

I am a huge supporter of the reserve idea.......but im very disapointed with the reserves coming out at present.

The powers reserves have are enough. They patrol with a full time member and if a ticket needs to be issued, the full member can do so. Remember students, who undergo more training, leave T/more on phase 2 with no powers........a problem that needs to be fixed. Couple of weeks ago a reserve turned to a student and in front of a nightclub said, sure your nothing but a student. I have more power than you........that reserve wont see the street anytime soon.

O and just to add.......again I am in full support of the reserves. As many posters here will testify...anyone who has PM'd me for advice on joining has been told forget what people tell you and give it a go!

yes nice guy, a reserve is a reserve and should be there only to support the full timer. hopfully i will get to be a reserve, but my main reason for joining is because i want to be a Garda, not to have a weekly power trip. from what i understood from the super, do what you told, keep your mouth shut when it should be shut, remember that you are there to support not replace and your colleges will respect you. i think the best thing that can happen is that the reserves are given a clear and defined role. maybe i'v got this all wrong, but idea of a part time fully operational garda really frightens me.

and that is a prime example why the application process should take as long as it does, so individuals as described above dont pass under the bar and make the rest of us look like idiots. I have heard the same story regarding reserve Gardai over stepping the mark, and it means our first half is spent defending why your there to your full time colluege rather than spotting the gou lookin shifty on the other side of the street.

Freddie,

you must have the inside track on info, if "you know that extra powers" are on the way next year.

I am not all that convinced that they are necessary, and might infact complicate the already difficult job AGS has in the first place.

For those who have gone through the hoops with application / medical / background checks / training etc, and are now attested and working, be happy that you have gotten through.

For those of you still waiting at various stages, it will take time.

But in any case dont wish all these extra powers on what still are very early stages for all of us, because extra powers mean extra mistakes and responsability, for which actual extra experience needs to be built up first.

Three years and still loving it, but its still "only" three years

Right that's more than enough posting from me this year, am happier reading the posts

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

DK47 wrote: »
    yes nice guy, a reserve is a reserve and should be there only to support the full timer. hopfully i will get to be a reserve, but my main reason for joining is because i want to be a Garda, not to have a weekly power trip. from what i understood from the super, do what you told, keep your mouth shut when it should be shut, remember that you are there to support not replace and your colleges will respect you. i think the best thing that can happen is that the reserves are given a clear and defined role. maybe i'v got this all wrong, but idea of a part time fully operational garda really frightens me.
    alwaysone wrote: »
    and that is a prime example why the application process should take as long as it does, so individuals as described above dont pass under the bar and make the rest of us look like idiots. I have heard the same story regarding reserve Gardai over stepping the mark, and it means our first half is spent defending why your there to your full time colluege rather than spotting the gou lookin shifty on the other side of the street.

+ 1 lads. Lots of members tar all reserves with the same brush, but is only a few that let the reserve force. Same as its only a few that let us down. Glad ye took my comments as they were meant:)

I'm in the Reserves and I agree with ya 100%. There are a few that give the rest a bad name.

The Reserves is great for someone who is interested in joining the full time, and wants to see is it for him/her or to get experience. Besides that don't know why someone would join, I am friends with alot of people through the Reserves who don't intend to join and have to say they are great people but I always ask them "why?".

And for the extra powers, the Reserves shouldn't get any extra powers. The way things are now are grand. And I always feel that the Reserves who want more are on some sort of power trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

The Reserves is great for someone who is interested in joining the full time, and wants to see is it for him/her or to get experience. Besides that don't know why someone would join, I am friends with alot of people through the Reserves who don't intend to join and have to say they are great people but I always ask them "why?".

Well for some of us (i.e. me!) I'd love to join full-time, but since I'm 35, its simply not an option. The Reserve gives me an opportunity that I wouldn't otherwise have to be a contributing part of an organisation that I respect (and I should add that my respect for AGS has only increased since I started on phase 4)

stiofanD wrote: »
    Well for some of us (i.e. me!) I'd love to join full-time, but since I'm 35, its simply not an option. The Reserve gives me an opportunity that I wouldn't otherwise have to be a contributing part of an organisation that I respect (and I should add that my respect for AGS has only increased since I started on phase 4)

I hear this all the time too, but if you loved to join it so much, why didn't you apply to join the full time before you were 35?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

I hear this all the time too, but if you loved to join it so much, why didn't you apply to join the full time before you were 35?
    because I wasn't living in Ireland.

but even if I had been here and simply chose to pursue another career, why would you have an objection to me voluntarily spending 16+ hours a month helping AGS to keep my local area safer? I'll be honest, I don't understand your objection to Reserves who don't intend to join the full time force either through their own choice or because they are too old.

• Advertisement

stiofanD wrote: »
    because I wasn't living in Ireland.

but even if I had been here and simply chose to pursue another career, why would you have an objection to me voluntarily spending 16+ hours a month helping AGS to keep my local area safer? I'll be honest, I don't understand your objection to Reserves who don't intend to join the full time force either through their own choice or because they are too old.

I'm not attacking you at all. It's very hard to express tone on these forums.

Sure I know why you do it, I've been in the Reserves for two years.

I just feel at this stage, there is no great need for us, the whole thing is one huge PR act.
    If I wasn't heading into the full time, I'll be out of it.

hope these aren't coming across as argumentative or anything, just giving my opinion

Advertisement