Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

I'm not attacking you at all. It's very hard to express tone on these forums.

I agree totally - can be very easy to misinterpret posts sometimes
    Sure I know why you do it, I've been in the Reserves for two years.

I just feel at this stage, there is no great need for us, the whole thing is one huge PR act.
    If I wasn't heading into the full time, I'll be out of it.

hope these aren't coming across as argumentative or anything, just giving my opinion
    Fair enough.

For what its worth, I think the reserve is still at the development stage - while a lot of full-timers might have met or even worked with a reserve by now, I feel that the force as a whole hasn't quite figured out what to do with us. Obviously extra bodies on the street are good, particularly for major events, but I think the actual role we fill needs a better definition when it comes to day-to-day policing. I think its precisely because the role of a reserve isn't well defined that it is seen by many as simply a stepping stone into the full time force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

freddiew wrote: »
    Hi, I agree with most of what you say but I think the Reserves should have more powers and I know they will be getting them from next year, Fixed Penalty Fines + Can I remind you that some of the more mature Reserves have more development skills than the Full timers, they know how to speak to the public unlike some of the full time ones I have come across. Remember the Reserves have full time jobs and depending on their jobs HR for example they could teach the full timers a thing or two.

Freddiew, i can understand somewhat your frustration (having what you do put down or belittled in some posts (but very rare that happens on this tread) but saying things like above statement really isn't helpful to anybody. It further pushes away the Fulltime member who has his/her problems with the whole reserve thing and with the fulltime member who is all for it might start to question the reserves ego that he/she serves along side every week. I can say the same thing about some HR people i know, they really might want to go for a HR development course in people interaction!!! You will, in every job / career or organisation meet people who need to brush up on some people skills but just because you are better in some areas doesn't make you better than that person. Oh, i am a reserve for the last two years and over those years have learn so much from full time members who at all times showed me the upmost respect. I only hope that over time i will learn more from these members who have enough to be dealing with on top of teaching and looking after me every time i am on with them (cause remember, no matter what you think, the full time member is responsible for our well been and safety when on duty with them, and hell would be paid to the full time member if anything serious happen to a reserve when on duty) Only a thought. As for extra powers, i will leave that to the powers to be to decide that one, i am there to do what is asked of me when i am on duty;)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

freddiew wrote: »
    Hi, I agree with most of what you say but I think the Reserves should have more powers and I know they will be getting them from next year, Fixed Penalty Fines + Can I remind you that some of the more mature Reserves have more development skills than the Full timers, they know how to speak to the public unlike some of the full time ones I have come across. Remember the Reserves have full time jobs and depending on their jobs HR for example they could teach the full timers a thing or two.

Wrong attitude to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jeanxx

Just my two cents on this debate: Reserves should know their place, we are there to assist the full-time members, not replace them and this is one of the first things we learn in Templemore. Still we should be given the respect we deserve for doing something voluntary rather than sometimes being looked at as if we are mad!

On the other hand the full-time members who have no time for reserves just because they don't agree with it, well that's just pure ignorance and fortunately I haven't witnessed too much of that in my station, especially on my unit :) A lot of fulltimers I've been out with or know just accept it now and only a minority seem to still be opposed.

As for extra powers, I don't really think it will be that feasible especially when it comes to Public Order powers, that would mean court time and even as just a college student I wouldn't be too keen on missing lectures to go to court. When I'm a fulltimer yes obviously I'll have to go but that will my job, as a reserve, it isn't. I know some reserves may have to go to court for whatever reason at the moment but it seems very uncommon. I'm happy with the powers we have now and if more come along then great but it's working the way it is at the moment.

Lastly it shouldn't matter what anymore says, reserve or fulltime member etc... if someone really wants to join the reserves then go for it because even being in it for a year now it can rattle ya when someone says something negative but you just get over it and get on with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

billyhead wrote: »
    But if you work Mondays i.e Monday to Friday. I presumed all training in templemore takes place at the weekkends

sorry uys that was a full time member!!! just an example!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Audi2008

Hi im new to this, But i have always wanted to join the guards for years but i wanted to finish off my Degree first. I have 1 year left now!!
    But now with the recession there isnt any recruitment drives and i don't think there will be for another year anyway.

I wanted to know If i was to join the Garda Reserve now since they are recruiting. Would this help me if i was to join the Guards when they opened another recruitment drive?? Or can i only join 1 at a time??
    for example if i joined the Reserve and then the Garda recruitment drive opened again could i join that aswel?? Im sorry if my questions sound very stupid or anything!!!

I want to join the guards to help and as sad as it sounds i wanna make a difference.

Could someone who has joined or is in the process of joining, give me there opinion please!!!

Thanks!!!

Audi2008 wrote: »
    Hi im new to this, But i have always wanted to join the guards for years but i wanted to finish off my Degree first. I have 1 year left now!!
    But now with the recession there isnt any recruitment drives and i don't think there will be for another year anyway.

I wanted to know If i was to join the Garda Reserve now since they are recruiting. Would this help me if i was to join the Guards when they opened another recruitment drive?? Or can i only join 1 at a time??
    for example if i joined the Reserve and then the Garda recruitment drive opened again could i join that aswel?? Im sorry if my questions sound very stupid or anything!!!

I want to join the guards to help and as sad as it sounds i wanna make a difference.

Could someone who has joined or is in the process of joining, give me there opinion please!!!

Thanks!!!

Ya there's no hassle applying for both.

I applied for the Reserves during college also and applied for the full time around a year later. Being in the Reserves and having a degree will stand to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 34 limerick2009

billyhead wrote: »
    Nah still waiting. Pain in the ass waitin tbh

i agree the waiting is tough but i suppose all we can do is hang in there and wait for the call.hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Audi2008

Ya there's no hassle applying for both.

I applied for the Reserves during college also and applied for the full time around a year later. Being in the Reserves and having a degree will stand to ya

But what if i apply for the Reserves and then in the middle of that the New Recruitment Drive opens, can i still apply for that drive aswel at the same time??

What do you think??

Does it take long for the Garda Reserve to process??

How long were you trying to get into the Garda Reserve???

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

But what if i apply for the Reserves and then in the middle of that the New Recruitment Drive opens, can i still apply for that drive aswel at the same time??

What do you think??

It takes ages. Many have been waiting longer than a year although others are processed sooner. I very much doubt that having applied for the reserves would stop you applying for the full-time should a new drive start. I doubt you have anything to lose. But if you really want to be sure, call the Garda Reserve Office (details should be on the garda.ie website or Public jobs website).

All the best.

• Advertisement

What do you think??

You can apply for both at the same time.

From application to starting Training for the Reserves took 6 months for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Clare-Dj-Hire

sorry to butt in but do reserve gardai carry garda badges.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

sorry to butt in but do reserve gardai carry garda badges.?

Yes but are not supposed to carry them home or carry them off duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

well as far a the badge is concerned i personally and the other reserves with me have no choice but to take home our badges and uniforms attire as the station has no place to keep them and even some of the fulltimers dont have lockers . when somebody retires or gets transfered is their only hope of getting a locker.. and if you leave anything lying around so can say bye bye to it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

That use to be to way when the reserve started at first in the major stations, but with the role out of the reserve into lets say not so modern major stations the option of locker room and more importantly handing your badge into the seg. at the end of your duty wasn't working out well, as the seg might lock your badge into his/her drawer and next time you are on duty he/she might be off, thus no badge, and you can't go on duty without the badge (officially). So the badge and uniform is carried home for cleaning and storage purpose by the reserve like the full time member. Not a big deal as the reserve has the same respect for the uniform and what is stands for as the full time member.
    I would say the organisation is becoming more trusting of the reserve personal . Hope that answers it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TomOC20

Had my interview today ! went very well I think , fachtna murphy was my representative from the guards :eek:

2 weeks cant come quick enough :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mahns

Wat ya mean? Murphy de commissioner was your interviewer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

TomOC20 wrote: »
    Had my interview today ! went very well I think , fachtna murphy was my representative from the guards :eek:

I remember my friend telling me there was a super last year doing interviews for the full time who had the same name as the comissioner so maybe it was him??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

The Commissioner doing interviews? either, and more lickly some of the same name was on the board, the Commissioner likes to get his hands durty and get a feel for this on the ground first hand, or the public recruitment ban means even the Commissioner has to get his hand dirty.:D Was this the man on the board,
    250px-An_Garda_S%C3%ADoch%C3%A1na_Commissioner_Fachtna_Murphy.jpg
    would be very surprised if he was, hes one the top men in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Best of luck TomOC, I hope you get the right result :)

Oh the memories. I remember last year when I was at PAS for my full-time interview & report writting : We were just about to commence our report writting when we were informed their would be a delay in the evening interviews as Fachtna Murphy was running late. The entire room fell silent but it was another man on the interview panel with the same name, but My God did it send shivers down my spine at the time though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

DK47 wrote: »
    250px-An_Garda_S%C3%ADoch%C3%A1na_Commissioner_Fachtna_Murphy.jpg

O god you frightened me.....I even stood up!!! If I was wearing a hat i'd had saluted:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

Yeah I had Fachtna Murphy for my interview for the full time last year. Had the same reaction when I was told before the interview. Got there for a 10am interview but as the 9am hadn't turned up so was straight in.

Interview went fine and am on Phase 2 now so i would only have good things to say about him. I think he is/was a Supt. He must get that reaction all the time. I'm not surprised there are alot of Murphy's in the Gardai but having 2 senior officers called Fachtna Murphy has got to be unusual!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

That use to be to way when the reserve started at first in the major stations, but with the role out of the reserve into lets say not so modern major stations the option of locker room and more importantly handing your badge into the seg. at the end of your duty wasn't working out well, as the seg might lock your badge into his/her drawer and next time you are on duty he/she might be off, thus no badge, and you can't go on duty without the badge (officially). So the badge and uniform is carried home for cleaning and storage purpose by the reserve like the full time member. Not a big deal as the reserve has the same respect for the uniform and what is stands for as the full time member.
    I would say the organisation is becoming more trusting of the reserve personal . Hope that answers it.:)

Excellent, well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 limerick2009

good luck to all gr starting their training in late september:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mun23

Im starting on the 25th also! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

how is everyone keeping on phase 4 hope ye are all doing well:D. just a curious question wondering if anyone has heard about the asp training??? :rolleyes:or if possible how do we find out when its on:eek:. any one hear when the graduation is on in oct:eek:?? i no on our warrant cards in the college it said the 10 or 15th of oct just not sure like?????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

Hi Guys

How does the training for the reserves work, is the training full time in templemore. would it be a case that a person would have to two weeks holidays from work to go to templemore?

Thanks
    Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Hi Guys

How does the training for the reserves work, is the training full time in templemore. would it be a case that a person would have to two weeks holidays from work to go to templemore?

Thanks
    Shane

It will probably be a friday and a saturday in templemore initially, then a minimum of 56 hours legal studies in a garda station in your area, this can be done in 3 hour modules in the evenings after work or 8+ hours on saturdays and sundays depending on the agreement your class and training sergeant comes to.

Then an exam and back to templemore for another two days, again probably a friday and saturday, this weekend is more physical and you'll have to pass self defense, baton and hand-cuff techniques. There is also role play to get through (just keep the head and you'll be fine)

Next up is 40 hours minimum at a garda station as an observer of sorts but also training if you're lucky and immersing yourself in the culture. This is where you'll meet real gardai and wonder wtf you have left yourself in for:D You will have a very good understanding of the reserve concept after this:rolleyes::cool:

Back to templemore for attestation on a thursday where you can throw your cap in the air and get numbers to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

lehanemore wrote: »
    It will probably be a friday and a saturday in templemore initially, then a minimum of 56 hours legal studies in a garda station in your area, this can be done in 3 hour modules in the evenings after work or 8+ hours on saturdays and sundays depending on the agreement your class and training sergeant comes to.

Then an exam and back to templemore for another two days, again probably a friday and saturday, this weekend is more physical and you'll have to pass self defense, baton and hand-cuff techniques. There is also role play to get through (just keep the head and you'll be fine)

Next up is 40 hours minimum at a garda station as an observer of sorts but also training if you're lucky and immersing yourself in the culture. This is where you'll meet real gardai and wonder wtf you have left yourself in for:D You will have a very good understanding of the reserve concept after this:rolleyes::cool:

Back to templemore for attestation on a thursday where you can throw your cap in the air and get numbers to wear.

I anxiously await for my day to come to start my training. Bring it on I say!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

lehanemore wrote: »

the role play sounds great :eek: its got cringe written all over it:D:D cant wait all the same !

Advertisement