Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all

i got the call last friday to head to the park for the med. this coming thursday and if i pass that im to start in sept. yahoo, nervous as hell do, any tips

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

redsurfer wrote: »
    hi all

i got the call last friday to head to the park for the med. this coming thursday and if i pass that im to start in sept. yahoo, nervous as hell do, any tips

Hey redsurfer, I have yet to do mine so I can't say much more to you than sincere best of luck on Thursday. I'd say your heart skipped a beat when you got the call eh :). Hope it goes well for you & do let us know how you got on.

thanks lad,

yea my heart skipped a few times:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: i training usual 3-4 nights a weeks i dont have a reason to be nervous but by hell i am.

thanks lad girl, (a lickle correction ;))

yea my heart skipped a few times:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: i training usual 3-4 nights a weeks i dont have a reason to be nervous but by hell i am.

It does sound like you would be okay, but you know I'd be the same re: nerves. I am also out training at least every second day, sometimes twice a day when I'm off work but when I think of how much I want to get in it just drives me on even more.

Would you consider a quick checkup at your doctors, & dentist maybe to help put mind at ease aswell?

sorry my dear lady ;)

i seen the doc on wednesday so he can sign off on my med. back ground, teeth and all ok, just nervous, so u in or what stage are u at :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

hi all

good luck with that redsurfer, cant wait to get the call, probably be next yeay at this stage:(

sorry my dear lady ;)

i seen the doc on wednesday so he can sign off on my med. back ground, teeth and all ok, just nervous, so u in or what stage are u at :confused:

ha :cool:

awaiting medical myself, have my 6month checkup at the dentist in the morning - should be fine though.

DK47 wrote: »
    ...cant wait to get the call, probably be next yeay at this stage:(

I hear ya DK. I have come to accept that everything will happen when it is supposed to and not before. Their could be a few more reserves down this way before too long ;)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I hear ya DK. I have come to accept that everything will happen when it is supposed to and not before. Their could be a few more reserves down this way before too long ;)
    hey kerry,do you know more who have applied, or is that us:D got the flu, so have taken some ibuprofen so iam out of it, that stuff drives me mad. so kinda slow, got wet while out for a run, 3 days in a row, well when i say run, i spend more time walking:D:D but iam getting there :cool:

i applyed just shy off a year ago, u do learn to wait in here, as they say in the mighty F.C.A '' hurry up and wait ''

• Advertisement

DK47 wrote: »
    hey kerry,do you know more who have applied, or is that us:D got the flu, so have taken some ibuprofen so iam out of it, that stuff drives me mad. so kinda slow, got wet while out for a run, 3 days in a row, well when i say run, i spend more time walking:D:D but iam getting there :cool:

just the pair of us DK :D ... Ah I feel for you with the flu. I got the flu myself after getting soaked there last week a few times (you'd think I'd learn my lesson, but no, when I get to urge to jog, on with the runners and off I go - hail, rain, shine). We might tackle that great Mount Brandon sometime when we're both at peak fitness...something to aim & keep motivated for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 renegadegav

anyone heading down to templemore on the 24th or 25th from galway or athlone, as i am in need of a lift there. please p.m me if you can help im willing to pay share of petrol money

i applyed just shy off a year ago, u do learn to wait in here, as they say in the mighty F.C.A '' hurry up and wait ''

"hurry up and wait" :D like it! Waiting a year to get to this stage, I'm delighted it's happening for you redsurfer. I admire candidates to keep the dream and don't get demoralised at the slow progress.

just the pair of us DK :D ... Ah I feel for you with the flu. I got the flu myself after getting soaked there last week a few times (you'd think I'd learn my lesson, but no, when I get to urge to jog, on with the runners and off I go - hail, rain, shine). We might tackle that great Mount Brandon sometime when we're both at peak fitness...something to aim & keep motivated for :)

i was convinced it was swine flue!:eek: but no just regular flu.:D hypochondriac!!:cool: mount brandon would be great,once you don't want to run it, unfortunately i'm far from peak fitness :P mount branbon a few time a week would sort that out:D:D

a link to the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform, outlining the duties of a Reserve Garda and the Reserve Garda Powers. worth a read.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/WP07000568

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

i take it nobody knows when the attestation is on in october then??

can anybody here tell me how to go about getting a radio (tetra) as there is no pool radios in the station and i do need one, any ideas would be most appreciated??

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

paulbolg wrote: »

can anybody here tell me how to go about getting a radio (tetra) as there is no pool radios in the station and i do need one, any ideas would be most appreciated??

I say wait till after your attestation before even pushing for one of those

... can anybody here tell me how to go about getting a radio (tetra) as there is no pool radios in the station and i do need one, any ideas would be most appreciated??

Just being curious here : Are reserves generally given a tetra radio when at work? I mean, if the reserve is station-bound, would it still be necessary to have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Reserves do not get a personal issue Tetra. If there are no pool radio's in the station then you need to escalate it to your Sergeant or Inspector. Every station should have at least one pool radio available.

Just being curious here : Are reserves generally given a tetra radio when at work? I mean, if the reserve is station-bound, would it still be necessary to have one?

Yes, reserves should have a tetra radio when out on the beat, its just not their own personal radio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

stiofanD wrote: »
    Yes, reserves should have a tetra radio when out on the beat, its just not their own personal radio

I believe StiofanD the Tetra radios are only in use in Dublin so far we are still using the old bog standard ones here in the southeast???? Any idea when they will be rolled out to the rest of the country.

KIERAN61 wrote: »
    I believe StiofanD the Tetra radios are only in use in Dublin so far we are still using the old bog standard ones here in the southeast???? Any idea when they will be rolled out to the rest of the country.

i live in rural kerry and i know new masts have been erected, and i seen a local garda with a radio last week, never seen a garda around here with a radio before.

Yes, Tetra is only live in DMR at the moment. No idea when it'll be rolled out nationwide, but I'd imagine it will happen on a region by region basis. Could be another year or so before the whole country is covered.

Its definitely worth it though - the tetra radios are 100 times better than the old analogue ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

@Kerry4Sam, down here your means of communication (apart from winking and nodding) will be your own mobile:p

I sh1t you not.

lehanemore wrote: »
    @Kerry4Sam, down here your means of communication (apart from winking and nodding) will be your own mobile:p

I sh1t you not.
    so was that garda i seen with the radio just testing it, come to think f it it was the one and only time.

lehanemore wrote: »

I sh1t you not.

:D perfect, thanks for the heads up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

well kerry for sam..
    you have a lot to learn and unless you use your own mobile down in kerry you will have to resort to using smoke signals as a means of communication... plenty of wet turf should do the trick..:P.

trail man wrote: »
    well kerry for sam..
    you have a lot to learn and unless you use your own mobile down in kerry you will have to resort to using smoke signals as a means of communication... plenty of wet turf should do the trick..:P.

:D yeah I really do have to alot to learn and hopefully that won't change :pac: don't have the time to be watching the guards down here to often but once I don't start seeing any smoke signals any time soon I'll take yer words on the personal mobile usage

hi all

im in dublin awaiting the med exam tomorrow @ 9.00

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

hi all

im in dublin awaiting the med exam tomorrow @ 9.00

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

hey redsurfer, good luck with that, make sure you let us know how you get on:)

Advertisement