Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Good night lads. goodluck tomorrow redsurfer!! let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

Dental Nurse,

I would think it will be next year before we are called for an interview. Some poeple here are waiting for up to a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all and YOU kerry people :p

just home from the med. exam and wait for it PASSED:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D told i in great shape:confused:, the lad who called me said subject to passing it i am to start at the end of this month:D

with my luck my file will get lost do, it was easy out and a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

redsurfer wrote: »
    hi all and YOU kerry people :p

just home from the med. exam and wait for it PASSED:D:D told i in great shape:confused:, the lad who called me said subject to passing it i am to start at the end of this month:D

with my luck my file will get lost do, it was easy out and a laugh

kerry calling :P

I am delighted for you redsurfer, hopefully yer luck will be in Sunday also ;). You have been putting in the work by the sounds of it so I wouldn't be looking confused at being told you're in great shape :pac:. Were their many there with you today for the medical? Do you know where the others present were from?

thanks

3 other guys all from dublin. two were the res. and one for the full time, and there was one girl, dont know were she from and when i was leaving there was two other guys waiting for the exam

• Advertisement

cmul100 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

You really don't have to be that fit for the medical, I passed the garda one a couple of years back and I was on 20 fags a day with no regular exercise. If I did it, you guys that are training regularly will breeze through it!

Hey, yeah I was told something similar before. The training regime is more a routine for me. I just love to get out there walking & jogging & breaking into sprints...even racing other random people I meet en route for parts of my time out exercising to break it up. That's just what I'm used to doing now at this stage.

In saying that though, I know for a certainty that when I get the call for my medical, I will be nervous and somewhat anxious, but that'll be more down to the fire & determination in me to succeed and pass the medical than worrying about not be fit & healthy enough to pass it.

Thanks though for your optimism :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

well done redsurfer :) , lets celebrate :D

:cool::P:confused::)thanks DK47:pac::D;):p:):rolleyes::o

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Richiedelight

hi there,i agree with a lot of what said,but dont paint everyone with the same brush please.I hope to be that one you mentioned as a good worker etc,that is what people sign up to G.R. for well i hope it is anyway not for a power trip.

billyhead wrote: »
    Dental Nurse,

I would think it will be next year before we are called for an interview. Some poeple here are waiting for up to a year

billyhead i have already done my 3 interviews and written, br checks are sent off just waiting on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

billyhead i have already done my 3 interviews and written, br checks are sent off just waiting on them.

I am in the same boat. I would not keep my hopes up though as to being called this year.

Hi

they did not considtrade on anything really, it was a all rounder, 1st was the blood pressure and lung test ( just blow out hard ), 2nd was the hearing, have to say found that the hardest, ( only as i was nevous ) then change into a sexy hospital sheet and a 12 year old peenys bath-robe that any real playboy must have:cool:, then u go into the doc strip:eek: to ur jocks and get ur weight, height, eyes and a lung check- cough once or twice and that it. staff are great, i had a good laugh at it.

it very straight forward :)

(very much like the f.c.a one )

im so happy for you redsurfer!! did they take blood??? the past few days iv been feeling stuck in a rut. i think im going to go back to college next year if the recruitment is still at a stand-still. ill do social science and law thats 2years then i can do criminology the third year. then after try for the gardai again, ill keep the reserves going though, thats if i get in. Its just a thought iv been having lately. :confused: do ye all think im mad???

do the collage course, you could be waiting a very long time otherwise. no they did not take any blood, they just took the piss:D get it;)

do the collage course, you could be waiting a very long time otherwise. no they did not take any blood, they just took the piss:D get it;)

lol good one...... ill see how it goes... im pretty drunk right now guys :O yey!!

lol good one...... ill see how it goes... im pretty drunk right now guys :O yey!!

oh my god.... how drunk was i last night!! :o hahaha my knee is a write off for the day now anyway, cant even remember falling :eek: anywho hows all the waiting going??????? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

alwaysone wrote: »
    Freddie,

you must have the inside track on info, if "you know that extra powers" are on the way next year.

I am not all that convinced that they are necessary, and might infact complicate the already difficult job AGS has in the first place.

For those who have gone through the hoops with application / medical / background checks / training etc, and are now attested and working, be happy that you have gotten through.

For those of you still waiting at various stages, it will take time.

But in any case dont wish all these extra powers on what still are very early stages for all of us, because extra powers mean extra mistakes and responsability, for which actual extra experience needs to be built up first.

Three years and still loving it, but its still "only" three years

Right that's more than enough posting from me this year, am happier reading the posts

;)
    Just want to throw in my € for what it's worth.I hear people banging on about extra powers ,even though I agree having some in public order would be of benifit. We already have Section 4(3) of the Criminal Law Act 1997 (power of arrest for an ‘arrestable offence’) which in my book is an immense power to have. When you think about it it is any offence which carries a 5 year prison term or more and that can range from simple theft, criminal damage, sale and supply of drugs etc. So never underestimate the considerable powers you have as an attested Garda Reserve. On that note does anybody know of any Reserve who has made an arrest and followed it through to the end or as I suspect just turned them over to a full time member subsections (4) and (5) of the above act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

Hi has anyone claimed expenses for the hep shots and if so how did you go about doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

padlad88 wrote: »
    Hi has anyone claimed expenses for the hep shots and if so how did you go about doing it?

Just keep the receipts and ring HQ and they will send you a claim form

padlad88 wrote: »

did they tell u to get the shots yourself or does an appointed doctor give them to you??? i have mine done already

did they tell u to get the shots yourself or does an appointed doctor give them to you??? i have mine done already

Any Doctor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

If you have your Hep B vaccine aleady then just carry the card, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

lehanemore wrote: »
    If you have your Hep B vaccine aleady then just carry the card, that's all.

what card would that be? I've got two of my shots and am going back for the third this week - do I get a card then ?

stiofanD wrote: »
    what card would that be? I've got two of my shots and am going back for the third this week - do I get a card then ?

Got mine nearly 2 years ago now but never heard anything of a card. Just get your third and final shot, head back a few weeks later for the check up. Ring HQ now for a claim form and sent it off with all the receipts and the form signed by the Doctor when your finished

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Howa doin lads, quick question. Is it possible to join the reserves when still in school? Im in 6th year now and plan on joining the guards full time when they are recruiting again, in the mean time I thought id join the reserves, is this possible when still in school?

heyjay14 wrote: »
    Howa doin lads, quick question. Is it possible to join the reserves when still in school? Im in 6th year now and plan on joining the guards full time when they are recruiting again, in the mean time I thought id join the reserves, is this possible when still in school?

Hey under the condidtions of entry for the reserves found http://www.publicjobs.ie/downloads/08012_Notes_for_Candidates.pdf it states "the person is not less than 18, but under 60, years of age when commencing the prescribed training". So going on that, so long as you're not under 18years of age it doesn't matter if you're in 6th year or out of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Hey under the condidtions of entry for the reserves found http://www.publicjobs.ie/downloads/08012_Notes_for_Candidates.pdf it states "the person is not less than 18, but under 60, years of age when commencing the prescribed training". So going on that, so long as you're not under 18years of age it doesn't matter if you're in 6th year or out of education.

Thats grand, chears

Jason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

Would you not need to have completed your Leaving Cert first in order to meet the educational requirement?

Incorrect, need a leaving cert.

And before someone says it, a leaving cert exemption is only for people who were educated outside the state or people who grew up in a time when the Leaving Cert wasn't a common thing (that's why it only applies to the Reserves as the age limit is 18-60 odd)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

stiofanD wrote: »

Doctor at t-more told us that after the 3 shots you do a blood test and after that you're issued with a card that you will carry on your person for use by emergency services personnel to say you're topped up on Hep B vaccine in the event that you're incapacitated and can't tell them yourself etc.

I'm only after getting my first shot but have already discussed with the doctor and am told that I will be getting my card at the end of the process.

• Advertisement

lehanemore wrote: »
    Doctor at t-more told us that after the 3 shots you do a blood test and after that you're issued with a card that you will carry on your person for use by emergency services personnel to say you're topped up on Hep B vaccine in the event that you're incapacitated and can't tell them yourself etc.

I'm only after getting my first shot but have already discussed with the doctor and am told that I will be getting my card at the end of the process.

Really?

That must be a new thing

Advertisement