Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

lehanemore wrote: »
    Doctor at t-more told us that after the 3 shots you do a blood test and after that you're issued with a card that you will carry on your person for use by emergency services personnel to say you're topped up on Hep B vaccine in the event that you're incapacitated and can't tell them yourself etc.

I'm only after getting my first shot but have already discussed with the doctor and am told that I will be getting my card at the end of the process.

This is the case alright. Same for full time. It has been in for a good while. Card is to be kept behind your I.D. card.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

This is the case alright. Same for full time. It has been in for a good while. Card is to be kept behind your I.D. card.

Must look into that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Must look into that. Thanks

Hep B vaccine is well handy to have if you're planning to travel overseas to some places off the beaten track like the african sub continent and parts of asia etc, you never know when it might stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Hey under the condidtions of entry for the reserves found http://www.publicjobs.ie/downloads/08012_Notes_for_Candidates.pdf it states "the person is not less than 18, but under 60, years of age when commencing the prescribed training". So going on that, so long as you're not under 18years of age it doesn't matter if you're in 6th year or out of education.
    sf94 wrote: »
    Would you not need to have completed your Leaving Cert first in order to meet the educational requirement?
    Incorrect, need a leaving cert.

And before someone says it, a leaving cert exemption is only for people who were educated outside the state or people who grew up in a time when the Leaving Cert wasn't a common thing (that's why it only applies to the Reserves as the age limit is 18-60 odd)

cheers for being more accurate than I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

oh and by the way, I got a shot in each arm, one was the Hep B and the other contained a tetanus vaccine amongs other things that I can't remember but they all sounded like diseases I would like to be protected from.

• Advertisement

lehanemore wrote: »
    Hep B vaccine is well handy to have if you're planning to travel overseas to some places off the beaten track like the african sub continent and parts of asia etc, you never know when it might stand to you.

O I got the shots around two years ago when I first joined the Reserves, just never got a card

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

What age/nationality do you have to be to become a guard?

http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=213

All there

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

Thanks for the info. Are the age requirements the same for Reserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dubbhoy

Hey Guys,

I have applied for the post of GR in may 09 and interview is in sept sometime. Just curious to know how long it would befor u get sent to the college ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Thanks for the info. Are the age requirements the same for Reserve?

No, you have to be between 18 and 60 for the reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey i applied in octobur 2007, im still waiting on backround checks since Feb 08!! Im currently still waiting 4 medical test:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Thanks for all the replys lads, appreciate it... Will just wait till I finish up school so.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

Hey i applied in octobur 2007, im still waiting on backround checks since Feb 08!! Im currently still waiting 4 medical test:eek:

hey tommy-kerry, thats a long time, what part of the country you in?

hello again. Do you still have your letter from PAS saying you passed stage1? You know I find it hard to believe that their has been no movement with your application. I would suggest a phonecall to HR in the morning and check on your status again tommy. When last did you enquire? (just as a matter of interest).

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Hi All,
    Seems lots of senior here :---
    I have a question:
    I applied sometime in July for Garda reserve and got an interview call and just finished (writtern and interview) interview today. They told me that they will let me know in 2 weeks. both tests went well.
    What is the next and will i really get call in two weeks or it could be anything,

thanks and sorry if i reply in a wrong post (last few pages are about kerry, tip, ascent etc...made me think that it is not a GR threas :( )

rg

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Seems lots of senior here :---
    I have a question:
    I applied sometime in July for Garda reserve and got an interview call and just finished (writtern and interview) interview today. They told me that they will let me know in 2 weeks. both tests went well.
    What is the next and will i really get call in two weeks or it could be anything,

thanks and sorry if i reply in a wrong post (last few pages are about kerry, tip, ascent etc...made me think that it is not a GR threas :( )

rg

Ah hey, I'm happy to hear stage1 went well for you astraclub. You know most people I have spoken with have said that's the hardest part. You will get your result from today within the next two weeks via post.

If you're lucky to be successful with stage1 then you will be finished with PAS and on to the Garda Reserve department in HQ. You should sit back now and have fun with the start of your waiting game.

Yeah the last few pages were a little off-topic but that's just some banter amongst members here who are getting to know each other and helping each other along while we wait on each of our next stages. To be fair to everyone though, most of the off-topicness is few & far between though.

thanks a million!
    The interviewer seemed a tight "20 minute deadline" people:cool:
    However, question, If i get positive post, is there anymore majoe hurdle or rest are just the steps? I mean any other decisive interview or any chat/into interview? Thanks a milion for your reply.
    Excellent support,!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

:D:D:DIM IN, STARTING THIS MONTH ON THE 25, HELL YEA:D:D

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    thanks a million!
    The interviewer seemed a tight "20 minute deadline" people:cool:
    However, question, If i get positive post, is there anymore majoe hurdle or rest are just the steps? I mean any other decisive interview or any chat/into interview? Thanks a milion for your reply.
    Excellent support,!

hows things ASTRACLUB, you have an interview with the superintendent and local Sargent next, it was an informal, relaxed general chat, in my case any way. the next major hurdles i suppose are, the background checks, the hurdle there seemed to be the time it takes, and the medical, is the final hurdle. good luck:pac:

• Advertisement

redsurfer wrote: »

:D Great news redsurfer , when did you get the news, lets celebrate

can you give us a break down of you timeline. :):D:pac:;):p

Congratulations redsurfer, great news!
    the next major hurdles i suppose are, the background checks, the hurdle there seemed to be the time it takes, and the medical, is the final hurdle
    O O, my bros and my wife's relatives are in India, that means Background check will take (1 year from here and 2 years from there=3 years), :mad::(

let's see what is the interview results first!

:pac::D;):p:):rolleyes::o:eek::cool::P

i got the email yesterday but only checked my emails half a hour ago, i was off visiting my girlfriend, ( never again )

Ok time line. I applyed back in oct 08 i think did the exam in nov then had a meeting with the super. in april. med last week email yesterday

think that the right dates but again every one is different

:pac::D;):p:):rolleyes::o:eek::cool::P

i got the email yesterday but only checked my emails half a hour ago, i was off visiting my girlfriend, ( never again )

Ok time line. I applyed back in oct 08 i think did the exam in nov then had a meeting with the super. in april. med last week email yesterday

think that the right dates but again every one is different

thanks red surfer, girlfriend cant be that bad :P . good luck with everything, i bet this makes it all so much more real :D

yea in one way it does:D and in another i still cant belive it, what the hell i going to do :confused::confused::confused:

yea in one way it does:D and in another i still cant belive it, what the hell i going to do :confused::confused::confused:

your going to have fun, meet great people, develope new skills and get to, well, live a dream. :rolleyes: there is great people out there in the gardi and the reserves that do great work, and being a part of that must be great.

o god, that sounds really life coach ish, what getting in to me :eek:

have u being watching some cop budee movies, hot fuzz comes to mind,

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Im fom Kerry, i checked about 2 weeks ago.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bossco

Hi all,

quick question. For almost a year now ive gone through all the stages to get into the reserves, with a view to getting into the full time force. All interviews went well, backround checks fine... but got a letter from Garda HQ to say that beacuse I work in a supermarket there is a conflict of interest with regard to the liquor licence. Even though it sint ME that will be applying for the licence, nor will I ever will be the licence holder. Is there any other reserves out there that work in a supermarket?
    Thanks. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

bossco wrote: »
    Hi all,

quick question. For almost a year now ive gone through all the stages to get into the reserves, with a view to getting into the full time force. All interviews went well, backround checks fine... but got a letter from Garda HQ to say that beacuse I work in a supermarket there is a conflict of interest with regard to the liquor licence. Even though it sint ME that will be applying for the licence, nor will I ever will be the licence holder. Is there any other reserves out there that work in a supermarket?
    Thanks. :confused:

ah jeez thats hardly fair???????????? congratulations redsurfer :)

Advertisement