Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

bossco wrote: »
    Hi all,

quick question. For almost a year now ive gone through all the stages to get into the reserves, with a view to getting into the full time force. All interviews went well, backround checks fine... but got a letter from Garda HQ to say that beacuse I work in a supermarket there is a conflict of interest with regard to the liquor licence. Even though it sint ME that will be applying for the licence, nor will I ever will be the licence holder. Is there any other reserves out there that work in a supermarket?
    Thanks. :confused:

One Word. ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

bossco wrote: »
    Hi all,

quick question. For almost a year now ive gone through all the stages to get into the reserves, with a view to getting into the full time force. All interviews went well, backround checks fine... but got a letter from Garda HQ to say that beacuse I work in a supermarket there is a conflict of interest with regard to the liquor licence. Even though it sint ME that will be applying for the licence, nor will I ever will be the licence holder. Is there any other reserves out there that work in a supermarket?
    Thanks. :confused:

I agree with DK4 a little bit harsh in my book.For the record this is what I reckon are their grounds for disqualification.
    1.For reward or personal gain, manages or conducts, or assists in the management or conducting of, a concern or premises which is required by law to be operated under a licence, permit or certificate, the grant of which may be opposed by An Garda Síochána.
    2. Is employed in any occupation or holds any appointment or position which, in the opinion of the Garda Commissioner, may cause a conflict of interest with the proper discharge of the duties of a reserve member

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I agree with DK4 a little bit harsh in my book.For the record this is what I reckon are their grounds for disqualification.
    1.For reward or personal gain, manages or conducts, or assists in the management or conducting of, a concern or premises which is required by law to be operated under a licence, permit or certificate, the grant of which may be opposed by An Garda Síochána.
    2. Is employed in any occupation or holds any appointment or position which, in the opinion of the Garda Commissioner, may cause a conflict of interest with the proper discharge of the duties of a reserve member
    This seems pretty ungrounded alright. Maybe there's a possibility to appeal somehow - perhaps by contacting the reserve office and, if necessary, requesting that the matter be brought to the attention of someone higher up. Occasionally, in organisations with alot of administration to wade through, set rules will be enforced with little flexibility and even less notice to whether or not - in practical terms - they apply in a specific situation. A snap decision may have been made re: your application which might be reversed were you to look into it further. My personal advice would be to contact someone who actually has a bit of executive authority themselves, explain how long you've been waiting/how committed you are, etc, and also highlight the extent to which you, personally (as someone who simply works in the shop), are very unlikely to experience a conflict of interest related to this.

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jypo

Id have to agree with EGOSHEA, dont just accept the decision, could be someone going by the book in admin, could be a mistake etc. Definetly a bit harsh, im sure if you looked hard enough there is a conflict of interest in most jobs, so you should get on to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

jypo wrote: »
    Id have to agree with EGOSHEA, dont just accept the decision, could be someone going by the book in admin, could be a mistake etc. Definetly a bit harsh, im sure if you looked hard enough there is a conflict of interest in most jobs, so you should get on to them.

jypo is right, ring them and find out whats going on, go to the garda station where you had the super interview, i know he gave me his number and told me if i ran in to any trouble with my application to give him a call and he would help if he could, you could always just drop in to the station and ask for advice, but definitely ring the reservice office in garda HQ. unless you own the business, are the license holder or are in a managerial position, i couldn't see how working in a supermarket will effect you. but then again i can only give a opinion, not a qualified or informed evaluation of the situation. i'm gutted for you. chin up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

DK47 wrote: »
    jypo is right, ring them and find out whats going on, go to the garda station where you had the super interview, i know he gave me his number and told me if i ran in to any trouble with my application to give him a call and he would help if he could, you could always just drop in to the station and ask for advice, but definitely ring the reservice office in garda HQ. unless you own the business, are the license holder or are in a managerial position, i couldn't see how working in a supermarket will effect you. but then again i can only give a opinion, not a qualified or informed evaluation of the situation. i'm gutted for you. chin up :)

On changing the topic somewhat .. as a reserve and who has a friend a full time member and a member of the garda sports and social club .. he invited me along to one of their party nights.. went along and at the door
    it had a table in front of it with about six men sitting at it... my friend went in no prob..
    then it came to my turn and one well retired gent asked me for my garda number on informing him that i was in the reserves it was like a red rag to a bull and he said in a strong tone that reserves cant join our club..
    my friend back peddled and explained that i was with him and the elderly gentleman reluctantly allowed me in... Took it like water off a ducks back
    but its a good indicator...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

trail man wrote: »
    On changing the topic somewhat .. as a reserve and who has a friend a full time member and a member of the garda sports and social club .. he invited me along to one of their party nights.. went along and at the door
    it had a table in front of it with about six men sitting at it... my friend went in no prob..
    then it came to my turn and one well retired gent asked me for my garda number on informing him that i was in the reserves it was like a red rag to a bull and he said in a strong tone that reserves cant join our club..
    my friend back peddled and explained that i was with him and the elderly gentleman reluctantly allowed me in... Took it like water off a ducks back

Should have told the retired member he was a civilian and shouldnt have been there either;)

Forget those views lads/ladies, its not shared by the majority of members. Same goes for students, as I see it......if you wear "our" uniform....then your are "us"......not a student....not a reserve but a collegue. (Once you have your head screwed on!!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Once you have your head screwed on!!:D

Hopefully that ratio will increase over time :rolleyes:

Hopefully that ratio will increase over time :rolleyes:

I take it that the roll eyes were not sarcasim directed at me....

To be honest it has changed and it visable that the newer reserves are better than a lot (but not all) of the ones we got before. Think thats down to the people like yerselves applying. Good calibire joining.

I take it that the roll eyes were not sarcasim directed at me....

To be honest it has changed and it visable that the newer reserves are better than a lot (but not all) of the ones we got before. Think thats down to the people like yerselves applying. Good calibire joining.

O no, the eyes weren't directed at you, :rolleyes: (These are) :pac:

• Advertisement

Being in the Traffic Corp, would you have much dealings with Reserves?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

That sure is good to know. Thanks for posting this trail_man.

Being in the Traffic Corp, would you have much dealings with Reserves?

All the time.....Traffic members are not just Traffic members. Were Gardaí too you know! We work very closely with the regular unit so I have experience with all the reserves in my division, not just a single district.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

kerry4sam wrote: »
    That sure is good to know. Thanks for posting this trail_man.

Hey kerry 4 sam well when alls said and done as far my last post was concerned and my experience with the social club... overall i get on grand with the full timers and we do have good craic together from time to time
    its not all about duty.. like every organisation or workplace it has all types of people and if we were all the same it would be a boring world to live in..:cool:....

Hey kerry4sam well when alls said and done as far my last post was concerned and my experience with the social club... overall i get on grand with the full timers and we do have good craic together from time to time
    its not all about duty.. like every organisation or workplace it has all types of people and if we were all the same it would be a boring world to live in..:cool:....

Yeah too true trail_man :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 overandout

Hi, anyone notice the GR in the Irish Indo today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

overandout wrote: »
    Hi, anyone notice the GR in the Irish Indo today ?

didn't get the paper but was it a pic or an article or wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 overandout

just a pic, but u can see the GR WH, good to see though !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paurichopkins

HI everyone, i am starting on the 25th, cant wait :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colmwills5

Hey Guys, Does anyone know if u can be transfered within the GR, Lets say from Sligo to Dublin!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

colmwills5 wrote: »
    Hey Guys, Does anyone know if u can be transfered within the GR, Lets say from Sligo to Dublin!!!!!!!!

You have to do your 2 years probation after you get attested. Then you can. Same as the full time members.:pac:

You have to do your 2 years probation after you get attested. Then you can. Same as the full time members.:pac:
    Really?! You need to do your probation before you can be transferred? That's an important thing to know because I'm at the later stages of the application process but I'm going to be moving to Dublin in about 8 months time. I wonder does this mean that I should hold off with the training until I move up there....(if that's even possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colmwills5

Thanks. Im just waiting 4 my medical and then hopefully I can get started. I just hope i,m still in this part of the country when I get started. I would hate to have to reapply if I moved. Do you know is that what you have to do if you leave the area you did the interveiw in.!!!!!

Yeah I heard the same munster. I was recently offered a new job up in Galway but turned it down due to my Reserve application down here. Thankfully I have no regrets :cool: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Really?! You need to do your probation before you can be transferred? That's an important thing to know because I'm at the later stages of the application process but I'm going to be moving to Dublin in about 8 months time. I wonder does this mean that I should hold off with the training until I move up there....(if that's even possible).

Well, going on the wait people are having to go through to get into the G/R by the time 8 months is up they wouldn't have got around to your back round checks so my advise is to apply away and address can be altered or updated at a later stage. People are waiting well in access of 1 year to get through the application stages to admittance. For myself it took only 5 months but i had alot of my security checks done already so family checks took no time. 2 years down the road and no regrets. Also, you can talk to the staff in the college when you are doing your training, they are very understanding and more that likely would bear this in mind when placing you in a station:D

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Yeah I heard the same munster. I was recently offered a new job up in Galway but turned it down due to my Reserve application down here. Thankfully I have no regrets :cool: :)

God I wouldn't sacrifice a potential job for the Reserves.

There is no hassle moving from one place to another place once there's a good enough reason. But best bet is too ring HQ and get the official line

I'm not referring to your particular case Kerry4sam (O and by the way, it's going to be Cork4sam this weekend :pac:) just in general

I'm not referring to your particular case Kerry4sam (O and by the way, it's going to be Cork4sam this weekend :pac:) just in general

Pretend ban issued to Im listening for blasphemy:D:D

Well, going on the wait people are having to go through to get into the G/R by the time 8 months is up they wouldn't have got around to your back round checks so my advise is to apply away and address can be altered or updated at a later stage. People are waiting well in access of 1 year to get through the application stages to admittance. For myself it took only 5 months but i had alot of my security checks done already so family checks took no time. 2 years down the road and no regrets. Also, you can talk to the staff in the college when you are doing your training, they are very understanding and more that likely would bear this in mind when placing you in a station:D
    Thanks for that Munster4868 - the thing for me is that my background checks have already begun and I'm expecting a meeting with a super/sergeant fairly soon. So there's a real chance that I may have just done my training/be in the middle of it when I move to Dublin. Maybe I'll just ring HQ and see what the story might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

colmwills5 wrote: »

Yes, there is no problem getting a transfer, I was in Dublin for my first year then I moved to Co. Wexford and I got a transfer within a month.

Advertisement