Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

whats the next stages so....(after chat with Super)..? Medical then training?...anybody know when the next intake is??

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

eru123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I dropped my BR form in 6 weeks ago and I haven't been called 2 meet my local Sergeant / super yet. Is this unusual? If so, whats the usual length of time you have to wait?
    HQ have received the receipt but not the other part of the form. I reckon my form is being used as a coaster since!!!!

It was about a month for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

shampon wrote: »
    It was about a month for me.
    Thanks. i suppose everyplace is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 em09

Had informal chat with my local sargent 3weeks ago and now have a meeting with my super in the morning...which im pleased about because this is my last stage untill training,but i havent had my medical yet??? which as ye know is ment to be after my meeting with the sargent. has anybody else come across this and know why??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

em09 wrote: »
    Had informal chat with my local sargent 3weeks ago and now have a meeting with my super in the morning...which im pleased about because this is my last stage untill training,but i havent had my medical yet??? which as ye know is ment to be after my meeting with the sargent. has anybody else come across this and know why??

No, medical is the last thing you do before commencing your training. The medical is usually done when all your B/R checks come back ok and you are recommended for the postion from the Super. B/R checks sometimes takes from 3 months min. to 1 year plus max from when the form is handed in. Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 em09

oh i see i thought it was before the super meeting,thanks.

dropped my BR form into Garda Staion 7 weeks ago and didnt hear anything since. Decided to give HQ a call this morning. 2 hours later and i now have an interview on monday morning with inspector and the Garda Reserve Office have emailed me saying they received my BR form and are sending it off for clearance.
    Most benificial phonecall ive made in a while!!!

Also my brother joined the reserves last year. When he sent off his BR form or GR2 form as it was back then, it only took 1 day to be "verifed and allocated an r number". 6 days later he got a date for a medical. Should i expect something similar since my form is nearly identical?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

dropped my BR form into Garda Staion 7 weeks ago and didnt hear anything since. Decided to give HQ a call this morning. 2 hours later and i now have an interview on monday morning with inspector and the Garda Reserve Office have emailed me saying they received my BR form and are sending it off for clearance.

Also my brother joined the reserves last year. When he sent off his BR form or GR2 form as it was back then, it only took 1 day to be "verifed and allocated an r number". 6 days later he got a date for a medical. Should i expect something similar since my form is nearly identical?

Nobody can say fort definite, every case it different.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭glhoran121

once everytjing is correct it will take shortest time it not the checks that hold things up it just the planning for the courses making sure everthing is ready for an intake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Theallad

How did the interview go ?

• Advertisement

Good thanks, inspector was easy going, he didnt try and catch me out or anthing. Just general questions about myself and family. <mod snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Hi all. Great forum and info.
    I put in an application (via Public Jobs) for the Garda Reserve about 6 to 8 weeks ago and have heard nothing since. I put Kildare as the county I'd prefer to serve in. Anyone else get any word back re application and Kildare? or prehaps they are not recruiting for Kildare? Anyone know what counties they are recruiting from at present? Should I maybe apply to Kilkenny, Laois or Wicklow (I live in Carlow) instead? If I do need to inquire further who should I phone? Garda HQ or Public Jobs?
    Thanks in advance for any info.

DustyMan wrote: »
    Hi all. Great forum and info.
    I put in an application (via Public Jobs) for the Garda Reserve about 6 to 8 weeks ago and have heard nothing since. I put Kildare as the county I'd prefer to serve in. Anyone else get any word back re application and Kildare? or prehaps they are not recruiting for Kildare? Anyone know what counties they are recruiting from at present? Should I maybe apply to Kilkenny, Laois or Wicklow (I live in Carlow) instead? If I do need to inquire further who should I phone? Garda HQ or Public Jobs?
    Thanks in advance for any info.

They are recruiting on an on-going basis for all areas. The only thing is that they rotate the locations for the stage1 interview & report-writing. I would just wait a little while longer. To be fair to them aswell, they do give at least 3weeks notice before your stage1 date.

Now, stage1 is being done by PublicJobs so any queries with that section should go to their reserve department and from the medical onward then it moves to Garda HQ Reserve department.

I had a problem with the date for interview i was given and i phoned publicjobs. The guy was very helpful and listed off all the areas in the country i could go for interview.They do interviews every wednesday in Dublin he said as well. But they could be booked out for another month or 2 or 3.

So you can attend an interview outside your prescribed region.
    if you give them a call they'll tell you when the interviews are on in each region, as interviews take place at different times in every region.So if your willing to travel you may be able to speed up your interview. I think anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 andrewb123

Had the meeting with super this morning. went very well and he was very nice. He said he had no reason to not recommend me for the position so hopefully will get to do the medical soon and begin training! Good luck to everyone else in the recruitment process. Might see some of you in Templemore soon!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

Rang the local station where I handed in my B.R form there a few weeks ago. Was ringing to ask where abouts my application was etc. Just being nosey I then rang Reserve HQ and they had said that they had not recieved my form (handed in to local Station March 10) and had only recieved a reciept of it, whatever that meant. Got back onto the local station where they then told me that my form was held up in some office. They apologised and literally within 3 days I had a meeting with the super. I dont know where I stand now though. I had previously been told by the local staion that my Background checks were nearly complete. Anybody have a similar experience???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 andrewb123

Hi everyone,just to let you know i emailed Garda HQ and they confirmed to me that the intake in September is full but there are two more intakes in October and December. Just thought I would share this with you as some people are probably wondering about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 clare33

Finally got news ill be starting training in september.Its one long wait I can tell you that:)
    how long ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 walkthisway

andrewb123 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,just to let you know i emailed Garda HQ and they confirmed to me that the intake in September is full but there are two more intakes in October and December. Just thought I would share this with you as some people are probably wondering about this.
    Finally got news ill be starting training at start of september.Its been one long wait I can tell you that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I passed exam/interview stage in Dec 09, handed in BR form in Jan. Heard nothing since, what should I do? Should add that others who passed exam/interview with me have already had their interviews with sergeant / super whichever it is at local station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

Finally got news ill be starting training at start of september.Its been one long wait I can tell you that!

Congrats on getting the news. Enjoy it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sm900

Hi Folks,

Had my super/insp interview today all went well my backround checks are all done so final stage now is the medical any ideas on waiting time for the medical if everything is done????
    thanks SM900

clare33 wrote: »
    how long ???
    well I applied is september of 2009 so its nearly taken a year to get here!when did you apply?

sm900 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Had my super/insp interview today all went well my backround checks are all done so final stage now is the medical any ideas on waiting time for the medical if everything is done????
    thanks SM900

Are those checks the checks carried out by your local station alone OR all of your background checks have been done by ALL agencies? How did you find out your checks have all been done?

funkyflea wrote: »
    I passed exam/interview stage in Dec 09, handed in BR form in Jan. Heard nothing since, what should I do? Should add that others who passed exam/interview with me have already had their interviews with sergeant / super whichever it is at local station.

I wouldn't do anything just yet, just wait. I do know that is easier said than done though but their is nothing else you can do right now being honest.

kensey wrote: »
    Congrats on getting the news. Enjoy it! :)
    thanks very much!anybody have any idea what the first weekend is like??

thanks very much!anybody have any idea what the first weekend is like??

More of an intro weekend really. You get all your info and books for phase 2 and a good insight into the remainder of you training. Any questions, feel free to PM me

Oh ya, you will be fitted for your uniform which you will receive on phase 3

More of an intro weekend really. You get all your info and books for phase 2 and a good insight into the remainder of you training. Any questions, feel free to PM me

Oh ya, you will be fitted for your uniform which you will receive on phase 3
    very good!do you know how long phase two takes!i know its 3 hour modules but like how many do you do in a week!and as soon as each phase ends do you begin the next one straight away?any cost involved in this uniform?

very good!do you know how long phase two takes!i know its 3 hour modules but like how many do you do in a week!and as soon as each phase ends do you begin the next one straight away?any cost involved in this uniform?

Phase 2 is kinda at the discretion of your group at your training station. They will prob organise something that suits everybody. May e one or 2 evenings per week. At least, this was the way for me...
    As regards, cost involved in your uniform. There is none as you are provided with everything. Right down to the batteries for your torch!!
    You might or might not have a week or two off between phases, again this is something which will be decided at station level.

Hope this helps! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Phase 2 is kinda at the discretion of your group at your training station. They will prob organise something that suits everybody. May e one or 2 evenings per week. At least, this was the way for me...
    As regards, cost involved in your uniform. There is none as you are provided with everything. Right down to the batteries for your torch!!
    You might or might not have a week or two off between phases, again this is something which will be decided at station level.

Hope this helps! :)

Completed Phase 2 not too long ago. When and how often you do the law lectures depends on each individual station and how many are in your group. In DMR the main stations rotate the location for where the lectures are. We had ours Tues and Thurs from 6-9pm for 10 weeks. Others had theirs 9-5 on sundays it really depends on what suits the Sergeant in the station you're assigned to for Phase 2. There was huge variety for when they occurred and how often. We started phase 2 pretty much straight away after phase 1 and started phase 3 a couple of days after we finished the phase 2 law exams.

As above no cost involved for uniform. They even provide you with a huge kit bag to store it all in. There is a serious amount of kit involved.

Advertisement