Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hey guys, I'm about to apply to the reserves.

Just worried. What is the story with a small tattoo on the inside of my wrist?

I done a quick search of the ES forum as I remember it coming up on a few occasions and I found these two posts which should answer your question:
    official line and at medical.

Please keep this thread here ON TOPIC (meaning relating to Garda Reserves).

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Hey guys.
    I've read through a good few of the posts just wanna ask a quick question get some up to date advice.

I'm 18. Just about to start 2nd year of my degree. Really really want to join the reserves but I think maybe I should hold off for a while and get some volunteer work under my belt? I haven't really done any volunteer work. I have done some fundraising in the form of mini marathons and that kind of thing but I don't think that is what they are looking for.

Thanks in advance!

If you feel that you would be able to juggle all your commitments along with another one, the go for it however if your like me and you take on way, way to much, college, working four nights a week and still finding time for, training, study and the girlfriend then hold off a year or two. I nearly ended up in hospital last year because of what I took on. If you can handle it, do it, if not wait until you have a bit more free time. My two cents!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

shampon wrote: »
    If you feel that you would be able to juggle all your commitments along with another one, the go for it however if your like me and you take on way, way to much, college, working four nights a week and still finding time for, training, study and the girlfriend then hold off a year or two. I nearly ended up in hospital last year because of what I took on. If you can handle it, do it, if not wait until you have a bit more free time. My two cents!!

Well i'm going to give up my part-time job anyway so it will just be college and training for the reserves hopefully! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

Well i'm going to give up my part-time job anyway so it will just be college and training for the reserves hopefully! :)

to be honest its not that much of a commitment that you have to give up the part time job if anythin i d keep the job because in this "recession" and all that crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

I havr never noticed this before... It is old, its from 27/05/2009... Did anyone hear anything more being said about this? What was the outcome? (Please note the interesting part in the red text) So how come the role of the Garda Reserve was not enhanced ? Any suggestions/comments relating to this topic?

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail) Link to this

On 30 April 2009, there were 322 attested reserve gardaí with a further 198 at various stages of training making a total of 520.

The Government is strongly committed to the development of the Garda Reserve. I am fully satisfied that the reserve provides, and will continue to provide, a valuable contribution to the Garda Síochána and to the many communities in which it operates. In particular, I wish to express my appreciation to the members of the reserve who serve on a voluntary basis.

An internal operational review of the Garda Reserve was carried out in 2008. Arising from this review, I understand the Garda Commissioner is examining certain proposals on enhancing the role of the Garda Reserve.

T-K :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail) Link to this

An internal operational review of the Garda Reserve was carried out in 2008. Arising from this review, I understand the Garda Commissioner is examining certain proposals on enhancing the role of the Garda Reserve.

T-K :cool:

I believe, that whole matter is "still under review"

Good find BTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

The year 2020 would be about right for changes in the gr as we know it..:eek:....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 littlebubble25

Hey halfback5...
    I'm also waiting on interview:)...when did you send off your application?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭starman08

how many hours does the training eat up of the total 208? i mean from phase 1 to phase 4?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

Has anyone heard of a definite date for the next intake? There is supposed to be at least one more intake this year but you know how hard it is to get a definitive answer on these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 up the cats

Hi guys,

from what I've read it appears you are not informed that background checks are completed? Is this correct and the notification you receive is date for medical... Anybody know is November the final intake for this year and what months intakes fall on in the new year ahead?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

starman08 wrote: »
    how many hours does the training eat up of the total 208? i mean from phase 1 to phase 4?

starman 136 hours are allocated for training in your first year against the 208 requirement. This leaves you from the time you graduate until the time of the anniversary when you first went to Templemore for Phase 1 to complete the remaining 72 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tcd

I was talking to a full time member last night on o'connell street about the reserves and he had a few things out of interest. Firstly he says he never sees any because most he had seen left after 3-4 months due to lack of powers and responsibilities. He did say there was no anymosity between the full timers and the few reserves that were in the station. Finally i also asked if he would mind going on the beat with a reserve and he said no he would like the man power and he doesnt feel like a baby sitter too but said he doesnt mind going on the beat by himself

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

tcd wrote: »
    I was talking to a full time member last night on o'connell street about the reserves and he had a few things out of interest. Firstly he says he never sees any because most he had seen left after 3-4 months due to lack of powers and responsibilities. He did say there was no anymosity between the full timers and the few reserves that were in the station. Finally i also asked if he would mind going on the beat with a reserve and he said no he would like the man power and he doesnt feel like a baby sitter too but said he doesnt mind going on the beat by himself

I would feel this is an accurate reflection on the general attitude of the full time members and their willingness to go on the beat with Reserves, it has certainly been my experience when I have been out with members and generally interacting with them in the station.

The only thing I would disagree with would be the bit about never seeing any and most having left after 3-4 months. I know a Garda who would work in the same station as the one referred to above and he said that most if not all of the reserves who have been stationed there have remained and some have been there since the very first intake of the reserves. He also noted that not every unit will have a reserve attached to them so the Garda in question may not come into contact with them much. He knew of only of two reserve who left, one to join the full time force and was successful and the other to transfer to a station a little closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

Anyone know when are the next intakes for phase 1 training??

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

01/04/2011 :D...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 andrewb123

trail man wrote: »

is that the date your starting training??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GRHopefull

Hi, i'm very new to this forum but spent about an hour reading most of the previous posts.
    I see the next intake for GR is April 2011 but is anyone still waiting on BR checks to be completed, if so are we able to follow up local Sgt. and get present position??
    I'm not exactly nervous but just concerned as previous posts i've read indicated the BR form was forgotten about until it was followed up by the applicant......
    One more question, on the BR form i included the spouses for my aunts/uncles.... would this lead to (obvious) delays or should I contact Sgt. and explain my error?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 andrewb123

GRHopefull wrote: »
    Hi, i'm very new to this forum but spent about an hour reading most of the previous posts.
    I see the next intake for GR is April 2011 but is anyone still waiting on BR checks to be completed, if so are we able to follow up local Sgt. and get present position??
    I'm not exactly nervous but just concerned as previous posts i've read indicated the BR form was forgotten about until it was followed up by the applicant......
    One more question, on the BR form i included the spouses for my aunts/uncles.... would this lead to (obvious) delays or should I contact Sgt. and explain my error?

Thanks in advance

Hi, I emailed garda HQ few weeks ago and they told me that the next intakes are in this month and December of this year. There was also an intake last month. I am also waiting on BR checks as well,I handed the form in back in June. When did you submit your form?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johnpaul6

andrewb123 wrote: »
    Hi, I emailed garda HQ few weeks ago and they told me that the next intakes are in this month and December of this year. There was also an intake last month. I am also waiting on BR checks as well,I handed the form in back in June. When did you submit your form?

hi lads I submitted my Br form back in Feburary still heard nothing back however I did email HQ , and the girl there said she would check up on application through the station where I submitted it, so theres still hope

rookie09 wrote: »
    trail man wrote: »

laughing%20gifs.gif

rookie09 wrote: »
    andrewb123 wrote: »
    Hi, I emailed garda HQ few weeks ago and they told me that the next intakes are in this month and December of this year. There was also an intake last month...

I have heard same but we won't know for definite until the letters get printed inviting candidates to begin training though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 walkthisway

Hi lads,

Best advice is to contact GR HQ if you want any questions answered. Our batch are still in Phase II training and not due to finish till November so next batch could be around then.

Ive heard a few stories of BR forms going missing in the past, but a long wait is normal. If everything checks out and your BR form isnt being used as a tea mat in a station somewhere you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcoastboy

Lads, as a Garda Reserve for 2 years now, i notice that people turn up and a lot leave after a year, even people with a lot of free time, so you go to all this trouble forms , medical etc, for what.
    The benefits are for me:
    it looks good on application forms for jobs, promotion.
    you are meeting new people, reserves and full timers.
    the €1,000 pays towards a holiday or part of it anyway...
    best of luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GRHopefull

Hi lads,

I accept what Westcoastboy says about a lot of effort.......... going through it now...

Personally, I feel it is worth it,
    1. To prove to myself I can do it
    2. I've always wanted to join the full time force but economics dictate otherwise
    3. It's a very good in-sight into what full time members actually do.. also gives us an oppertunity to give back to community

If persons leave after a year that is their business.... I'm assuming as there are still reserves there over 2yrs it must be some reward
    (no disrespect intended at all).

If a member leaves af 1 year, I assume it's about reserves having limited powers. Surely joining reserves is nothing to do with power/power tripping (or is this the only reason anyone joins reserves to have power/power trip) rather than be a Garda presence (all be it a GR) and a bridge between local community and full time Guards!!

I don't think this is the forum to be discussing the above......

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

clare33 wrote: »
    i found the interview grand , they were really nice , they ask you a lot about how you involve yourself in your community, the written exam was ok you really need to concentrate but it was fine, once you keep your head about you and listen to the questions they ask you you will be fine

Jesus that was a quick reply your on the ball there:D
    Thanks for that again.
    Are you going applying for the full time force?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 clare33

halfback5 wrote: »
    Jesus that was a quick reply your on the ball there:D
    Thanks for that again.
    Are you going applying for the full time force?
    im sittin in front of a computer all day so its easy to reply, ya i hope to apply to the full time force when they open it up . how about you

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

clare33 wrote: »
    im sittin in front of a computer all day so its easy to reply, ya i hope to apply to the full time force when they open it up . how about you

same boat just waiting for the magic email off public jobs saying to book my test. Have you done any prep courses?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 clare33

halfback5 wrote: »
    same boat just waiting for the magic email off public jobs saying to book my test. Have you done any prep courses?
    no i havent done any prep courese yet i not sure if i will i think been your self is the bast prep coures you can do

Advertisement