Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

When are you due to get the date for.
    Some people are saying there is a good pub across the road from there but i wouldn't drink there the night of you training grad day!

think sometime in december, i'll try find out. ya pollys i hear..wouldnt wanna make a show a myself!! ha! might get kicked out before i even get in!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

eru123 wrote: »
    think sometime in december, i'll try find out. ya pollys i hear..wouldnt wanna make a show a myself!! ha! might get kicked out before i even get in!!:eek:

What happens in pollys stays in pollys just dont sleep there ha.

How many of you's are heading down did they mention an amount or anything

What happens in pollys stays in pollys just dont sleep there ha.

How many of you's are heading down did they mention an amount or anything

ha definitely! gave them a call this morning. There is an intake today and the next intake is for the 3rd December. 40 will be taken in for December. she said the offers are sent out, in order of preference, 4 weeks in advance so thats early November. the next intake is probably going to be in February but thats not confirmed yet.

ha definitely! gave them a call this morning. There is an intake today and the next intake is for the 3rd December. 40 will be taken in for December. she said the offers are sent out, in order of preference, 4 weeks in advance so thats early November. the next intake is probably going to be in February but thats not confirmed yet.

And have you been told when your heading down shoud be brilliant

And have you been told when your heading down shoud be brilliant

no not yet, i'll find out in a few weeks if im in that batch. ya should be good, never thought it'd be around so quick. gotta read up about phase 1 now! (for once im not complainin about havin work to do, ha!)

• Advertisement

no not yet, i'll find out in a few weeks if im in that batch. ya should be good, never thought it'd be around so quick. gotta read up about phase 1 now! (for once im not complainin about havin work to do, ha!)

Haha its something different and you like thats why your not ha
    Are you a college graduate or working because it it fits in perfect if your more in college i noticed????

Haha its something different and you like thats why your not ha
    Are you a college graduate or working because it it fits in perfect if your more in college i noticed????

ya your right. no im still in college, final year now and have 5 weeks off for christmas so plenty of time to kill there! it'll be phase 2 theory theory theroy hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 walkthisway

ya your right. no im still in college, final year now and have 5 weeks off for christmas so plenty of time to kill there! it'll be phase 2 theory theory theroy hopefully!

Well done the first weekend is good, just go easy on the Guinness in Polly's, you'll be bouncing around on mats early in the morning.

Best of luck with the training and enjoy it!

Well done the first weekend is good, just go easy on the Guinness in Polly's, you'll be bouncing around on mats early in the morning.

Best of luck with the training and enjoy it!

Are you a member of the reserve.

Are you a member of the reserve.
    Well im just finishing up my Phase II....still in training

• Advertisement

Well im just finishing up my Phase II....still in training
    Thats brilliant hopefully all goes well.

Whats it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

good to see things are going well for people.
    really fed up waiting at this stage whole process is very disheartning.
    cant help but think whatever departments files get sent to some just get lying around for months..

Thats brilliant hopefully all goes well.

Whats it like?
    ah ye tis good craic like enjoying it so far, first weekend was a good laugh altogether! The training isn't easy by any means especially phase 2!best of luck with it now

good to see things are going well for people.
    really fed up waiting at this stage whole process is very disheartning.
    cant help but think whatever departments files get sent to some just get lying around for months..
    its all a waiting game you know, they can only take in so many reserves at a time otherwise classes would be too big. If you have completed everything and been accepted once you start it moves along swiftly.

its all a waiting game you know, they can only take in so many reserves at a time otherwise classes would be too big. If you have completed everything and been accepted once you start it moves along swiftly.
    ah i completly understand but an update every couple of months would be nice.but hey thats the way it is just have to keep waiting :)
    you been waiting long urself?

ah i completly understand but an update every couple of months would be nice.but hey thats the way it is just have to keep waiting :)

I think you probably did you interview the week after me ha because im waiting nearly the same amount of time but the other guy walkthisway hit the nail on the head in the last post its all waiting game just dont cancel your application due to the wait because you'll regret it because think about it i'm waiting the same amount of time and theres other people i know are waiting this long too you'll hear from them soon.

Well I had my first interview last February, then had my medical in June and started training in September.

I think you probably did you interview the week after me ha because im waiting nearly the same amount of time but the other guy walkthisway hit the nail on the head in the last post its all waiting game just dont cancel your application due to the wait because you'll regret it because think about it i'm waiting the same amount of time and theres other people i know are waiting this long too you'll hear from them soon.

Yea its been over a year.No way im cancelling. Waiting to long now to do that.
    Hopefully we'll be in the December or February intake :)

Well I had my first interview last February, then had my medical in June and started training in September.

that was pretty quick!!
    i know it varies from place to place but how long after the phase 1 weekend was it before you started phase 2? is it evenings or weekends you do your phase 2 training?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

Yea its been over a year.No way im cancelling. Waiting to long now to do that
    Hey JC
    I finally sent in that GR4 form about 2 weeks ago.I decided to ring them there on friday gone,just to make sure they recieved it.The guy in the GR section told me that he was just talkin to his superior about my application and that, it is looking good.He said he is just waiting on the commissioner to sign off on it.He said they do medicals fairly frequent,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

that was pretty quick!!
    i know it varies from place to place but how long after the phase 1 weekend was it before you started phase 2? is it evenings or weekends you do your phase 2 training?
    thanks

For us we finished phase 1 on saturday and started phase 2 the following thursday. There was one girl in our group finished phase 1 saturday and begun phase 2 the next day on the sunday morning. We did phase 2 on tuesday and thursday evenings, while others I know did theirs exclusively on sundays for the whole day. It will depend completely on the training staff attached to the station you are assigned to and what fits in with their schedules. Even if its on a difficult day or time for you the time flies by.

Spartan09 wrote: »
    For us we finished phase 1 on Saturday and started phase 2 the following Thursday. There was one girl in our group finished phase 1 Saturday and begun phase 2 the next day on the Sunday morning. We did phase 2 on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, while others I know did theirs exclusively on Sundays for the whole day. It will depend completely on the training staff attached to the station you are assigned to and what fits in with their schedules. Even if its on a difficult day or time for you the time flies by.

I see, thats good in a way that you're straight into it and there is no waiting around. Had you any choice with regard to the timing of sessions at all? Also was 100% attendance compulsory?(presuming it was!)
    Basically I'm hoping to make the 3rd December intake but i have 2 weeks work placement straight after phase 1, in a different county . I'll be 3 hours away from the training station. Bad timing or what:mad:
    I'll hope for the Sunday sessions!! oh and just one more question, what time did the evening session start and finish at?
    Thanks spartan09

I see, thats good in a way that you're straight into it and there is no waiting around. Had you any choice with regard to the timing of sessions at all? Also was 100% attendance compulsory?(presuming it was!)
    Basically I'm hoping to make the 3rd December intake but i have 2 weeks work placement straight after phase 1, in a different county . I'll be 3 hours away from the training station. Bad timing or what:mad:
    I'll hope for the Sunday sessions!! oh and just one more question, what time did the evening session start and finish at?
    Thanks spartan09

Nope we had no choice, in the station we were at the sessions are always on those days at that time (6-9). Yeah attendance was expected all the time but the training staff were particularly flexible with us and some people missed one or two sessions and the staff took them through the material at the next session during the tea break. I dont know if every station was as flexible as the one we were in.

Nope we had no choice, in the station we were at the sessions are always on those days at that time (6-9). Yeah attendance was expected all the time but the training staff were particularly flexible with us and some people missed one or two sessions and the staff took them through the material at the next session during the tea break. I dont know if every station was as flexible as the one we were in.

suppose ya couldnt be given everyone a choice or there would always be a time that wouldnt suit somebody! And did you cover the full 56 hours, i heard of some people who didnt? I see, that was sound of them.
    Cheers for the info.:)

suppose ya couldnt be given everyone a choice or there would always be a time that wouldnt suit somebody! And did you cover the full 56 hours, i heard of some people who didnt? I see, that was sound of them.
    Cheers for the info.:)

Yep did the full 56, fair bit to cover, although one or two sessions was used for revision and for a practice exam which was a great help. We had the soundest bunch of training staff you could ever wish for, hugely supportive in every way.

Yep did the full 56, fair bit to cover, although one or two sessions was used for revision and for a practice exam which was a great help. We had the soundest bunch of training staff you could ever wish for, hugely supportive in every way.

Cool, ya got to know the stuff inside out so! Ya that makes all the difference, when your superiors are sound it makes everything much easier.
    Thanks for your help. Oh and well done and hope your enjoying it. Might bump into ya down the line!!:D

Cool, ya got to know the stuff inside out so! Ya that makes all the difference, when your superiors are sound it makes everything much easier.
    Thanks for your help. Oh and well done and hope your enjoying it. Might bump into ya down the line!!:D

Absolutely loving every second of it so far, the support and encouragement of the full time members has made all the difference, could not have been more welcoming, despite me being of an age where joining the full time is unfortunately not an option. In the station I'm in there is a full time member there who was previously a reserve and 5 others who were previously reserves are now full time members elsewhere also. There is another reserve there too who has been fantastic in guiding me through the process, his skipper and cig see him as much as part of his unit as the full time members are, a good role model to have.

Absolutely loving every second of it so far, the support and encouragement of the full time members has made all the difference, could not have been more welcoming, despite me being of an age where joining the full time is unfortunately not an option. In the station I'm in there is a full time member there who was previously a reserve and 5 others who were previously reserves are now full time members elsewhere also. There is another reserve there too who has been fantastic in guiding me through the process, his skipper and cig see him as much as part of his unit as the full time members are, a good role model to have.

Hi Spartan09,

Its good to hear that sort of information your giving out.

Well done on getting the position.

Just asking which of the phases was the hardest?

Thats great to hear, hopefully every station is like that. Id say your finding the age limit annoying, but least ya still have the reserve. You could always alter the birthcert though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Hi Spartan09,

Just asking which of the phases was the hardest?

I found phase 2 the most taxing. i didnt come from a legal backround so teh law had my head spinning for a bit but the training staff were brilliant.

by far the best part of trainig is phase 4. this is where everything youve learned phase 1,2 and 3 comes into play (and at that you know feck all!)

in my first 8hour shift, i learned so much its hard to comprehend.

your 3 previous phases will help you know end, but the gardai on your unit will teach you so much more and the streets will test you even harder

but most importantly, enjoy it! no day is the same, every shift is different

Advertisement