Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

rookie09 wrote: »
    Yea its been over a year.No way im cancelling. Waiting to long now to do that
    Hey JC
    I finally sent in that GR4 form about 2 weeks ago.I decided to ring them there on friday gone,just to make sure they recieved it.The guy in the GR section told me that he was just talkin to his superior about my application and that, it is looking good.He said he is just waiting on the commissioner to sign off on it.He said they do medicals fairly frequent,
    Thats great news fair play :) last time i rang my checks were still on going :( just wait and hope you'll hopefully be in the next batch of medicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Scouser wrote: »
    I found phase 2 the most taxing. i didnt come from a legal backround so teh law had my head spinning for a bit but the training staff were brilliant.

by far the best part of trainig is phase 4. this is where everything youve learned phase 1,2 and 3 comes into play (and at that you know feck all!)

in my first 8hour shift, i learned so much its hard to comprehend.

your 3 previous phases will help you know end, but the gardai on your unit will teach you so much more and the streets will test you even harder

but most importantly, enjoy it! no day is the same, every shift is different

Jesus sounds brilliant how long are you in it scouse.

Have you had to arrest anyone or chase anyone yet haha?

What duties have you done? and mostly do?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Hi Spartan09,

Its good to hear that sort of information your giving out.

Well done on getting the position.

Just asking which of the phases was the hardest?

The hardest part for me personally was standing on the steps outside the station on the first evening of phase 4 as I was cacking it, first time in uniform and actually out on the streets, going up to the front desk and asking for the Sgt was terrifying but in reality there was nothing worth being nervous about, they were incredibly supportive on the first night. The first night coincidentally turned out to be the busiest and maddest night Ive had so far, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Physically the baton training hurt like hell the few days afterwards, couldnt move my arms without pain for days afterwards but again it was great craic and really enjoyed it so the pain was worth it....!

Spartan09 wrote: »
    The hardest part for me personally was standing on the steps outside the station on the first evening of phase 4 as I was cacking it, first time in uniform and actually out on the streets, going up to the front desk and asking for the Sgt was terrifying but in reality there was nothing worth being nervous about, they were incredibly supportive on the first night. The first night coincidentally turned out to be the busiest and maddest night Ive had so far, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Physically the baton training hurt like hell the few days afterwards, couldnt move my arms without pain for days afterwards but again it was great craic and really enjoyed it so the pain was worth it....!

Haha noway that sounds exactly like the way i'd be on the first night.

Have you done a lot of duties since you've got into the position or is mainly desk duty?

and do the reserve just walk the beat or is it in the patrol car too never seen in reserve in patrol car not driving it obviously ha?

What did you do in the baton training like techniques in all was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Have you done a lot of duties since you've got into the position or is mainly desk duty?

and do the reserve just walk the beat or is it in the patrol car too never seen in reserve in patrol car not driving it obviously ha?

Sgt. Bilko 09, have a look through DUTIES & POWERS thread and EXPERIENCES thread. They really are quiet helpful aswell you know.

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Sgt. Bilko 09, have a look through DUTIES & POWERS thread and EXPERIENCES thread. They really are quiet helpful aswell you know.

I was asking the questions due to more recent occrances not ones that are dated in 2007(i just read this it sounds cheeky but its not ha i just cant be bother re writing it while n work ha)

I was asking the questions due to more recent occrances not ones that are dated in 2007(i just read this it sounds cheeky but its not ha i just cant be bother re writing it while n work ha)

"You can't be bothered writing it while in work"? What does that mean?

IF you want to know more recent experiences, then why can't you locate the experiences thread and post in there? and yeah it did sound cheeky!

"You can't be bothered writing it while in work"? What does that mean?

IF you want to know more recent experiences, then why can't you locate the experiences thread and post in there? and yeah it did sound cheeky!

ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

Does everyone from phase 1 progress to phase 3 at the same time? I can see some people doing more hours per week in some stations than others, therfore completing phase 2 quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Jesus sounds brilliant how long are you in it scouse.

Have you had to arrest anyone or chase anyone yet haha?

What duties have you done? and mostly do?

touching 12months now

iv made a few arrests, plenty of chases, im in a busy station so the work comes to me haha!

im generally out in the car/van or on the beat, mostly in the car tho

<Mod Edit: Scouser, I'm not going to tell you again in one of your posts - this is a discussion forum! Others will inevitably have more or less the same questions, ask the questions in the forums. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

touching 12months now

iv made a few arrests, plenty of chases, im in a busy station so the work comes to me haha!

<Mod Edit: Scouser, I'm not going to tell you again in one of your posts - this is a discussion forum! Others will inevitably have more or less the same questions, ask the questions in the forums. Thanks!

What did you make those few arrests for!!! Under what section?
    As we are very limited in our powers of arrest and you been in it just 12 months and all I would be fascinated to find out for what... Seems like a big return on time done!!! I am in the reserve force for 3.5 years now.

In the station I'm in its almost exclusively beat patrol, helped out on the radio one night but other than that out and about pounding the pavement every night which I enjoy. Have been in the car on response only once but to be honest in the station I'm in the full time members are rarely in the car either. Have been in the van quite a few times bringing prisoners back to the station.

Re the baton training, its quite comprehensive and you learn alot of techniques and they give you plenty of practice in trying to get them right and they assess you on your ability to put them into use in different situations, its really enjoyable.

Spartan09 wrote: »
    In the station I'm in its almost exclusively beat patrol, helped out on the radio one night but other than that out and about pounding the pavement every night which I enjoy. Have been in the car on response only once but to be honest in the station I'm in the full time members are rarely in the car either. Have been in the van quite a few times bringing prisoners back to the station.

Re the baton training, its quite comprehensive and you learn alot of techniques and they give you plenty of practice in trying to get them right and they assess you on your ability to put them into use in different situations, its really enjoyable.

Do you get lectures in the college is well?

Its good to what is going on in the stations seen as the reserve got some much bad publicity.

Have you heard anything about more powers been introduced?

touching 12months now

With all them arrests have been to court with them?

If so whats it like?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to join the reserve and am awaiting medical .

and must say i fully agree with everything gilly has said in this forum she is 100% correct in her statements.

Apart from that i am seeking a career in the gards full time and was advised to do the reserve as an outlook of the job.

I was wondering to reserve members only is it worth my while going for it as i was reading all the posts and there seems to be mixed feels even from reservists themselves as too the treatment of GR?

I was looking at another forums that an MOD sent me where an actual full timers were agruing the fact that part time members get in the way sometimes and if they could stand on there on two feet that would work out perfectly as they are adults and as the are reprensenting the same cause.

and with trainee garda reserve coming surely the reserves that are currently in the position could be used to train them in the procedures of a reservist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Finally got word, Medical next month...all going well, Templemore February '11...Long wait 1 year 6 months....:)

Finally got word, Medical next month...all going well, Templemore February '11...Long wait 1 year 6 months....:)

haha noway say your chuffed well done.

That's great news, that's some wait! Hopefully all will go well for you now :)

Fair play, id say your delighted. If ya've the medical in november den ya should aim for the 3rd december intake! 40 in the class, dunno how many they've got already though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

eru123 wrote: »
    Fair play, id say your delighted. If ya've the medical in november den ya should aim for the 3rd december intake! 40 in the class, dunno how many they've got already though.

Yes! over the moon, time to start up the treadmill...lol too late for that. H.Q say December is full, unless somebody falls out....February is close enough...:cool:

• Advertisement

Yes! over the moon, time to start up the treadmill...lol too late for that. H.Q say December is full, unless somebody falls out....February is close enough...:cool:

Haha, them runs in templemore are frightening ya already!! ha!
    oh did they? i see, i heard they havent sent out any offers yet, early november there goin out. Ya dont know where ya are on the list do ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sm900

hey folks,

just wondering if you can still get into the gr if you have a minor previous public order offence??? (no charges) just a slap on the wrist and if the super intendant gives a good report should that be enough? :confused:

Ya id say you could. Depends on the offence and all the circumstances but as you said, if its a very minor then there shouldnt be a problem. Nobody is perfect and if they exclude everyone who ever had a minor offence then alot of good people would be excluded. Although i could be completly wrong! Apply anyway and you'll be stopped when it comes to your background checks / interview with sergeant if theres a problem.

Anybody going using there reserve uniform as a costume for halloween fancy dress???!!! Ha!:D

sm900 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Had my super/insp interview today all went well my backround checks are all done so final stage now is the medical any ideas on waiting time for the medical if everything is done????
    thanks SM900

You haven't posted in here since August, welcome back to us :pac:
    sm900 wrote: »
    hey folks,

just wondering if you can still get into the gr if you have a minor previous public order offence??? (no charges) just a slap on the wrist and if the super intendant gives a good report should that be enough? :confused:

You were informed that your background checks were ALL done, per your post above from August. I'm just curious though how you found that out ???

I don't think anything posted in here could ease your mind though regards the offences but a brief call to your local station with a sergeant should ease your mind though and give you a more concrete answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sm900

You haven't posted in here since August, welcome back to us :pac:

You were informed that your background checks were ALL done, per your post above from August. I'm just curious though how you found that out ???

I don't think anything posted in here could ease your mind though regards the offences but a brief call to your local station with a sergeant should ease your mind though and give you a more concrete answer.

hey been a while alright i rang hq with regards my progress and they said that my checks were done and will be in contact with medical then i got the call last week for a interview with my local super regarding the previous incident. the super said that it shouldnt hold me back and she would send a positive report so hopefully that will suffice with hq????:confused:

Good job mate great news :)
    Waiting the same amount of time as yourself still no word for me :(
    Best Of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 man mountain

Hi

New to this haven't used boards since 2008, but can i ask do u get called for your medical before the interview with the local station?

Im told there just waiting on one more reference for me and then my BR is checked. Do you get called soon after for the medicial? :p

Hi

New to this haven't used boards since 2008, but can i ask do u get called for your medical before the interview with the local station?

Im told there just waiting on one more reference for me and then my BR is checked. Do you get called soon after for the medicial? :p

As far as i'm aware and in my case anyways you get called for your meetings in your local station before your called for your medical.
    When your BR checks out you will be called for a medical soon after.
    Not sure how long notice you get?
    Can anybody verify how much notice you get before the medical?

As far as i'm aware and in my case anyways you get called for your meetings in your local station before your called for your medical.

I got just over a weeks notice

• Advertisement

I got a month's notice

Advertisement