Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kthulu91

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    I say youll know int he next month or two:) Not long now but dont take my word for it:P

Grand job! Are you the GR yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Kthulu91 wrote: »
    Grand job! Are you the GR yourself?
    Yes for nearly two years now. I had my medical in July 2011 and was in in October 2011 for training. Maybe a 2 to 3 month wait but your nearly there. Congratulations on passing the medical :)

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    Yes for nearly two years now. I had my medical in July 2011 and was in in October 2011 for training. Maybe a 2 to 3 month wait but your nearly there. Congratulations on passing the medical :)

Ah deadly, congrats on becoming a GR :) Yeh I heard that it would be October as well , wasn't sure though. How long is the training anyway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Your right about saying to much...
    Going on any call can be soo different from the next call out..
    Here is a tip... If and when you get inn and go on a call out... Think before you get to your destination of call.. Hazards that maybe ahead, will you get to home safe, always know your surroundings and a way out...
    Once again can't go into any details, but you meet all walks of life...
    Revert back to Training and you wont go wrong...

That a side, The First aid course comes inn handy on the streets..

Was there any physical training i.e running/physical conditioning et cetera during the GR training in Templemore?

Training dates for 2013 :

Class 2 - 14th March 2013
    Class 3 - 6th June 2013
    Class 4 - 5th September 2013
    Class 5 - 17th October 2013

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

DustyMan wrote: »
    Was there any physical training i.e running/physical conditioning et cetera during the GR training in Templemore?
    Physical training yes.. If you got things wrong push ups are on the menu, it was for our group..
    Running, self defence, baton training and handcuffing... Pints in Polly's..
    The night before, we all trained that evening for 3 hrs running through stuff and surporting each other...
    Next day went very well!
    Bring bottles of water for each day and some...

Oh yeah, be aware of the Red Man!!! PMSL... Can't say no more, some guys cried for there mom...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

I seen on one of the other threads that a lad was turned down because he hadnt enough community or voluntary work done , Im only 20 and not long out of school i help out when i can such as our annual sports day and iv started workin 6-8 hours a week in my local towns chairty shop , is that enough or would i have to be in like the RDF or CD

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    I seen on one of the other threads that a lad was turned down because he hadnt enough community or voluntary work done , Im only 20 and not long out of school i help out when i can such as our annual sports day and iv started workin 6-8 hours a week in my local towns chairty shop , is that enough or would i have to be in like the RDF or CD

You never find out why your turned down.
    It's a lot more then how many hours you do volunteering... There's more behind that one!! That's for sure... If your a team player that goes more your way..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

You never find out why your turned down.

Really? I never knew that. Seems very unfair..

As soon as I told them I worked within the community and had a lot of team projects in college with good outcomes they were glad to hear it, so I defintely agree that being a team player is an essential trait if you're looking to go into the GR.
    not to mention you need a thick skin :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Lads,

If i apply for the GR thus year and Im sussessful would it be realistic to think id be in training by the end of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

aido112 wrote: »
    Lads,

If i apply for the GR thus year and Im sussessful would it be realistic to think id be in training by the end of the year?

Absolutely not realistic. Perhaps by end of next year.

TylerIE wrote: »
    Absolutely not realistic. Perhaps by end of next year.

I concur... If applying for the GR.
    But if and when full time comes around, the whole system if much much faster - backgrounds etc very very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CiaranC147

Hi Im new to this but i was just wondering if anyone knows what the protocol is when it comes to getting time off college to attend the Garda Reserve training sessions for the two weeks.

CiaranC147 wrote: »
    Hi Im new to this but i was just wondering if anyone knows what the protocol is when it comes to getting time off college to attend the Garda Reserve training sessions for the two weeks.

you'll just have to disapear for a few days, weeks or so from what I hear :)
    let them know of course !

You'd just have to disappear for the two weeks... As such I'd try talk to them in the GR office and find out when training sessions are likely to take place and plan it to match same. Most colleges will have exam preparation and continuous assessments due in December, exams January and May plus September repeats. So that kinda only leaves you with October/November or Feb/March during the college year unless you wanted to put yourself under undue pressure!

You'd just have to disappear for the two weeks... As such I'd try talk to them in the GR office and find out when training sessions are likely to take place and plan it to match same. Most colleges will have exam preparation and continuous assessments due in December, exams January and May plus September repeats. So that kinda only leaves you with October/November or Feb/March during the college year unless you wanted to put yourself under undue pressure!

does it it take two weeks? I'm pretty sure I'm doing the September class.

Kthulu91 wrote: »
    does it it take two weeks? I'm pretty sure I'm doing the September class.

I think the new programme is two weeks?

I think the new programme is two weeks?

glad to hear it :) Can't wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Hey iv my interview in september 2013, (IF) i get in when would i start training ? April - may 2014 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

email the GR office for a letter stating your attendance there. thats what I did

Got my 'training day' for the Reserves. However had to defer it for now, due to other commitments. I'm leaving Boards.ie in this guise. Wishing everyone interested in a career with AGS the very best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 StepLeader

1,488 people have joined the Garda Reserve
    since its inception in 2006:

981 are currently operational
    224 are in training
    278 resignations (including 40 who
    have joined the full time service),
    2 deaths in service, and
    3 member's services were dispensed
    with.

Source AGS. Annual report 2012

StepLeader wrote: »

981 are currently operational
    224 are in training
    278 resignations (including 40 who
    have joined the full time service),
    2 deaths in service, and
    3 member's services were dispensed
    with.

Source AGS. Annual report 2012

I wonder how many applied!! In total to date...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Seems a very low figure considering the reserve is 7 years old now?

I wonder how many applied!! In total to date...

It would be interesting to know that! This is an edited piece from the GRA website, although it is from 2007 none-the-less it does give an indication of figures. Going By the figures below (7,358 applicants in 2006) it would be reasonable to speculate that around 30,000 + could have applied since that time? But that is merely speculation on my part.

'One in a Hundred

Yvonne Moran
    Irish Daily Mail Saturday, April 7, 2007

One in a hundred Embarrassment as astonishingly low pass rate for controversial Garda Reserve force is revealed

FEWER than one in 100 people who applied to join the controversial Garda Reserve last year were accepted into the part- time force. Just 73 of the 7,358 applicants for Garda Reserve jobs were successful, according to the annual report of the Com- mission for Public Service Appointments.

However, if recruitment continues at the current rate, it will be seven years before the Minister's target of 1,500 reservists is met - a goal he had intended to be reached no later than this summer. Reservists, who can be aged up to 60, have the powers of arrest for road traffic, public order, and theft and fraud offences.

Applicants who tried for the regular Garda Síochána had a greater chance of succeeding than those who had applied to be reservists. A total 1,120 people were accepted as trainee Gardaí out of 9,100 applications last year.'

Actually I found out that 1,700 applied to join the GR in 2009.

http://www.herald.ie/news/recession-drives-1700-to-apply-for-garda-reserves-27947210.html

So again speculating, it's possible that (to give ball park figures) there may be around 1,500 - 2,000 applying each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Why is there such a low pass rate? process seems very straight forward.

carzony wrote: »
    Why is there such a low pass rate? process seems very straight forward.

Hard to say but some applicants actually don't pass the written assessment (i read somewhere that 1 in 3 don't but I find that hard to believe). Some may apply who may not met the requirements and may not get , for e.g a educational exemption i.e again, for e.g, not having Irish from their Leaving Cert. Probably some don't get through the BR checks, through no fault of their own, and also some fail the Medical. Probably some people who apply later withdraw their application for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hard to say but some applicants actually don't pass the written assessment (i read somewhere that 1 in 3 don't but I find that hard to believe). Some may apply who may not met the requirements and may not get , for e.g a educational exemption i.e again, for e.g, not having Irish from their Leaving Cert. Probably some don't get through the BR checks, through no fault of their own, and also some fail the Medical. Probably some people who apply later withdraw their application for whatever reason.

Id say it is even here,

On the day I went for it i heard that 1 in 10 get in :confused:

Advertisement