Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to buy??

Options
  • 07-11-2007 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I am about to buy my first car but I can not decide what to buy, can someone help?

I have 6k max to spend. Looking for something under 1.4 that is also economical to run. I am concerned about resale value as I will be selling it in a years time as I will be moving abroad. Any suggestions??
    I dont mind what car I drive as its just something to get me from a-b so any suggestions are welcome!

I'm looking at a 99 golf 1.4l (€5,500) but I have been warned off them because apparantly they have bad engines...is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

Thats correct the 1.4 engine suffers from piston slap and because the bottom end of the engine is unservicable the only cure is a new engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

japenese car would be ideal if your looking for something reliable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

What about Honda Civic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

if you can get a clean one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Look at Ford Ka's. Reasonably cheap to buy & run, reliable enough reputation, repair and servicing is cheap, insurance shouldn't cripple you, tax is reasonable enough and if you get a 00 reg with power steering it shouldn't depreciate all that much in a year. Something like this with low mileage (as long as it has service history to back it up) could be a good buy. The mileage shoudl still be low enough next year for it to to lose too much value. It ticks all the boxes for things you are lookig for I think.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=814764

Other small cars for a runabout that might be worth looking at are fiesta and maybe Toyota Yaris?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Buy a banger for a grand if you don't care about cars. Buy a Jap and it'll go for the year. That way no resale hit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 therichmeister

Dont get me wrong, I love my cars, but since Im moving away to travel, I want to save as much as possible, ya get me?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

So thats a no to a golf yea?

I've been offered a 01 yaris at a cut price (from a relative) so I might just take that, at least I'll get my money back on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Dont get me wrong, I love my cars, but since Im moving away to travel, I want to save as much as possible, ya get me?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

So thats a no to a golf yea?

I've been offered a 01 yaris at a cut price (from a relative) so I might just take that, at least I'll get my money back on it

Go for it!

Advertisement