Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 Greatest Game Design Innovations (excellent article)

Options
  • 07-11-2007 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice article on next-gen.biz about the 50 greatest innovations that shaped our games of today. Basic stuff like avatars, first person perspective, third person perspective etc. to more specific things like text branching, landscape deformation, contextual cameras, sandbox environments etc.

Nice lunchtime reading!
    (Article found via Guardian Games Blog)

From gameplay, to presentation to input devices, videogames are a hotbed of innovation. Ernest Adams notes 50 game design innovations, some that have already made their impact, and others that will shape the future of the medium...

By gameplay I mean the challenges that the game poses to the player, and the actions that the player may take to meet the challenges. The vast majority of these actions are obvious: jumping, steering, fighting, building, trading and so on. But some challenges and actions distinctly advanced the state of the art, and provided new ways for us to play.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Thanks, was looking for something to read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah sittin here in A.I class bored outta my head, so ill enjoy this for the next hour, thanks :D

Advertisement