Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle computer magnets

Options
  • 07-11-2007 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

I have a cycle computer and I've lost the magnet for it. Can I just buy any old spare cycle computer magnet for it or are they brand specific?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I don't believe they are brand specific. At least, I have interchanged magnets amongst different bikes with different computers in the past without any problem.

You might hit an issue with a new magnet though if its size means that it passes either too close, or too far away, from the sensor. But you may be able to deal with that by sliding the sensor up or down the forks so that it is closer to/further from the spokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

penexpers wrote: »
    I have a cycle computer and I've lost the magnet for it. Can I just buy any old spare cycle computer magnet for it or are they brand specific?

Depends on the computer system, i'd a aldi computer on my bike and it works with the old magnet off my sigma computer which is just as well cos the aldi magnet won't fit on my spokes ! Anyway think if u look around u should be able to just buy the wheel magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

What make and model is the computer?
    I might have some CatEye spares (I kept losing the computers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

It's a BikeMate from Aldi. I think I might have a spare magnet at home, just never tried it. Will give it a whirl tonight. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

penexpers wrote: »
    It's a BikeMate from Aldi. I think I might have a spare magnet at home, just never tried it. Will give it a whirl tonight. Thanks.

That's the computer i use and i use a magnet off a Sigma computer and it works perfect, think u can get the Sigma magnets as spares if your stuck !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Pretty sure any magnet will do, given the size issues etc. In theory it should be the case.

BTW, If you ever want to clock up miles superfast, put headphones near the display of the speedometer. I had my trelock speedo register 73 mph one day and it was lying on the kitchen table listening to the pogues:D

Advertisement