Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Almera timing belt quote

Options
  • 07-11-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend has been quoted around €800 to get the timing belt changed in her 01 Almera, and this is by a mechanic that she knows. Seems hugely overexpensive to me (seeing as the same guy did the belt and water pump in my Polo for €500) but is this quote right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I thought Almeras didn't have timing belts but chains instead.

could this be why its more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Perhaps its the same problem she has that I've heard a number of perple have had that both the timing chain and air flow meter need to be changed which comes to around that price alright.

Its definitely a chain though (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

The whole idea of timing chains is that u don't have to change them so what makes her and the mechanic think it needs changing ? Anything over 500 quid for a timing belt change is expensive anyway, unless it's from a dealer then it's probably cheap !

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

The whole idea of timing chains is that u don't have to change them so what makes her and the mechanic think it needs changing ?

Because Almera timing chains only last for 60k mls, they have a tendency to stretch, which results in the engine not running a 100%. Disappointing but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, its a well known issue with Almeras of that vintage - there have been several threads about it here before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yep the Mk2 Almera 1.5 petrol uses a chain. I know a few people with this model Almera and several of them have had to get replacement chains and IIRC the quotes were about 650-850 from main dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Because Almera timing chains only last for 60k mls, they have a tendency to stretch, which results in the engine not running a 100%. Disappointing but true.

That's a bit crap, seeing as timing belts last about the same distance. Thanks for the replies. It looks like we're in trouble then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Cosmo K wrote: »
    That's for Almeras that have not had the recall work done on them, like they were supposed to. Faulty oil seals cause chain problems, but Nissan recalled them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

That's for Almeras that have not had the recall work done on them, like they were supposed to

From my experience, even if the chain was replaced under warranty, thats no guarantee it won't happen again. I don't think the mech would suggest replacing the chain just for the fun of it. Not such a nice job, there are easier ways to make money tbh.

Advertisement