Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Corporation move ice ring from Smithfield to Dunloaghre !

Options
  • 07-11-2007 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Dublin city council

[edit]Dub13[edit]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Nice articulate post. :rolleyes:
    Dublin City Council press release on the issue. They say that the company that organised the ice rink has folded.
    Dublin City Council regrets to announce that the Ice Rink Event traditionally held during the Christmas season in Smithfield for the past 5 years will not go ahead this year. Following a public procurement process to operate the rink, the council offered the venue to the partnership, comprising ‘RSVP Event Management’ and ‘Cousins Entertainment Ltd.’, on a concession basis for the next 4 years.

The City Council has been informed of the dissolution of this partnership and the remaining interest, ‘RSVP Event Management’, is not in a position to deliver the project. Accordingly, the City Council had no alternative but to withdraw the offer of the Smithfield venue.

The Council is not involved in the operation or financing of this event but is extremely disappointed to lose such a seasonal annual event at Smithfield.
    So, DCC didn't move the ice rink, the company folded and another company is having an ice rink in another local authority area (Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown County Council).

PS Dublin Corporation was renamed to Dublin City Council in 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

that's just an excuse

there is sculduggery afoot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

northside ice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> southside ice

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I pity the folk in Dun Laoghaire who'll have it outside their window. It was a nightmare to live beside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Dublin city council not Dublin Corporation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

they were scum when they were called dublin corporation

and they are still scum now they are called dublin city council

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

two years ago i went to the smithfield ice place and i swore never again, the scum skating around the wrong way pushing people over was horrendous, 7 people were carried of by St. JOhn's. Give me the RDS any day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

lucozader wrote: »
    they were scum when they were called dublin corporation

and they are still scum now they are called dublin city council

tbh, I'd rather Dublin City Council then Fingal CoCo who I have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

I'd say the ambulance service and the local A&E departments are happy about that move. Although the problem is just being moved further afield. St Michaels A&E in Dun Loaghre will never cope with the influx of injuries.
    Every minor injury was a "major disaster" according to the organisors.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Bang Bang wrote: »
    I'd say the ambulance service and the local A&E departments are happy about that move. Although the problem is just being moved further afield. St Michaels A&E in Dun Loaghre will never cope with the influx of injuries.
    As far as I know the A&E in st. micheals is only open office hours now, mon to fri 9 to 5 or simular. hse cutbacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

spareman wrote: »
    As far as I know the A&E in st. micheals is only open office hours now, mon to fri 9 to 5 or simular. hse cutbacks

That's correct spareman. St Michaels is only open to ambulances between 8am and 7pm. Walk in patients are excepted for a little longer, 8pm I think. So after hours it will be St. Vimcents. Although all children will be Our lady's in Crumlin.
    Another thing, St Michael's do not deal in very much trauma. All othopaedic injuries will be St. Vincent's, with the exception of children. As will all head injuries.
    Basically if you cut yourself shaving then St Michael's should be able to handle that..!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

i personally found it quite dangerous when i went a few years back, and i wouldn't be the worst skater in the world....

They didn't have the ice cold enough, as you skate it melts under the blade, but is meant to re-freeze, but as there wasn't enough cooling it was just sitting as poodles on the surface.

They have no resurfacing machine, the surface of the ice was crap, with holes and cracks all over it...

There was too many people, most of which were beginners, in too small of an area... so there wasn't enough hand rail for the beginners to hold on too....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I lived right above the bloody thing for two years. You could clearly see there how thinly coated the ice was and it was shut down at times because it got so bad. The only cleanup they did afterwards was to push the puddles of water off of the rink (i.e. all the ice that had melted). They might spray a hose on it but that's about the full of it.

We'd then have the additional joy of seeing the ambulances appear regularly and the booming tanoy telling everyone to move to the side as another person had to be carried off the rink due to injuries. That didn't stop some local scum skating around in the wrong direction.

Badly managed dump...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its going to be in Booterstown, so it probably closer to Vincents than Michaels anyway.

What happened was Dublin City Council awarded the Smithfield on Ice contract to a new company. The old company then went to DLR Co Co and offered to run an event for them, which is what is being put on in Booterstown. The new company scheduled to run Smithfield folded and Dublin City Council didn't have time to find someone else to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I wonder why TicketMaster are advertising tickets for the event????

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18003F329E903338

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Good news

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sandraf

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is an ice rink also going up in Smithfield at the moment.

The company that were there last year did go into liquidation or something and Dun Laoghaire Rathdown took over the ice rink idea (in Booterstown). But then some other plonkers decided that Smithfield also needed one.

I really do pity anyone that has to live near it as it really is full of skummy people. Im only in the area at lunch time so am lucky (ish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I se dundalk ice dome are sponsoring among others makes sense I suppose

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Bang Bang wrote: »

since it opened i'd say there has been 5-8 amulance injuries...

mostly minor, worst, sliced finger to bone, theres one or two paras on call all the time there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hockey1

ye i heard that the comp moved to booterstown not the rink they didint get the tender or sommit so wouldint expect to much outa that place this year ye seen that the ice dome are running it. get the experts in and it seems to be a whole different story was there last week with my mates and was class ice was real nice its also covered so no rain was taking to a paramedic down there he said they have had no real inj just mainly pride getting hurt

• Advertisement
Advertisement