Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD Best Choice

• 07-11-2007 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have my media centre components on order. I am currently looking at purchasing an lcd, budget is in and around 1200 euro. Are there any makes models you would suggest work better as a media centre tv? Any brands that i should stay away from? what criteria should i be looking out for?

Thanks,
    d

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

criteria are prettymuch the same as any half-decent LDC/Plasma. Ill move you post for a few day, you will probably get more info on the displays board.

SC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Sharp LC37XD1E - very nice 37" 1080p LCD currently onsale in Currys for the bargain price of 999. I haven't seen much that beats that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

from cnet review
    "Unfortunately, the component video input is far too complicated. Instead of putting dedicated ports on the TV, Sharp has provided a breakout cable, which connects to the PC input. Not only is this untidy, but you'll also find that to switch between PC and component you need to go into the menu system. Separate component inputs would be much better."

cheers for the recommendation, probably wont suit my needs as it will be used for a media centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

no probs, though with a media centre wouldn't you be using hdmi or dvi-hdmi rather than component?

Anyhow I only suggested it as it's the best "bang for buck" around at the moment but if it doesn't suit your needs then it doesn't suit your needs. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Have a look at the Panasonic TX32LXD70

It gets a qualified recommendation form HDTVtest and 93% from HDTV.org.

I own one (as of 8 days ago) and love it. Mind you I've only been using it for watching Freeview TV and haven't tested it with a console or any high-def DVD's.

I got it for £588, not sure what that will translate to in Euros when tax and all are taken into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aidancoughlan

I bought a full HD 1080P Sony Bravia 40" LCD model "40W2000" recently and am very happy with it. see http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63698&commentpage=4

It's an old model being replaced at the moment (won lots of awards in 06/07), and is listing around town at around €1699 in several Sony Centres - with a special offer of DVD & HD recorder/stand thrown in. I know this is out of budget, but the reason I mention is that I found one retailer (Peats) which was returning €400 via a cash-back voucher which you can use for whatever - this bring it in close to €1,200 and you get a very nice telly for the money.

... you can get bargains, I reckon these will tumble in the new year - I see a catalog from EXPERT in the door with a 40" Sony (probably 720P) at €899 which seems a steal.

ps. lots of people told me a 40" TV would look too big in a normal sitting room (ours is 17 * 10)... but now that its out of the box, I reckon that's a load of rubbish. I was considering 42"/43" models, which would not have been too big in my opinion, and I'm sure lots of people will have bigger without it taking over the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

dmck wrote: »
    from cnet review
    "Unfortunately, the component video input is far too complicated. Instead of putting dedicated ports on the TV, Sharp has provided a breakout cable, which connects to the PC input. Not only is this untidy, but you'll also find that to switch between PC and component you need to go into the menu system. Separate component inputs would be much better."

cheers for the recommendation, probably wont suit my needs as it will be used for a media centre.

TBH dmck, its unlikey you will be using component anyway from your HTPC. VGA, DVI or HDMI are much more likely to be used when you build your HTPC.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

Thanks for the reply's, i'm a bit confused regarding connections alright but having had a look around over the weekend the sharp certainly does look like the best bet, however i also read this from the cnet review

"It is very disappointing to see that, via the VGA input, the LC37XD1E can only support resolutions up to 1,280x1,024 pixels, despite having a panel that should be able to display up to 1,900x1,080 pixels. This is sure to annoy people who would like to hook up their Media Center PCs or games consoles via this connection. Plus, the only way to get true 1080p out of this set is to use HDMI, which is far less common on computers than it is on next-generation DVD players"

So is the best connection from my HTPC to the sharp would be DVI-HDMI? Sorry about basic questions but the various connection scenarios are confusing me, i dont want to end up with a set that doesnt give me the best possible pictuire qulaity from my HTPC.

Thanks
    D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Most Sets that come with a "PC input" use a VGA connection which is analog and for a HTPC pretty much redundant , that input is seldom used by anyone that knows that they are doing.

Most HTPC's these days would have graphics card with a DVI output , and these give a much better picture over the VGA connection , especially if your going to be watching downloaded HD content.

DVI and HDMI are pin for pin compatible and a simple cable is all thats needed , costs about 15 euro. Its the best way to connect.
    You'll need a separate audio connection though , but that goes for the VGA as well.

The only reason I could imagine using that VGA connection is if I had a Screen with a 1024 x 768 native resolution ( some plasmas have this ) as this res is not supported by " HDTV out " on some graphics cards which seem to have just the two resolutions of 1920 x 1080 , and 1280 x 720.

Advertisement