Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catheter Coming loose.

Options
  • 07-11-2007 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

Anybody have experience of using catheters? We have a problem at the moment that when a new bag is attached to the tube, it seems to keep just sliding straight back off again. I've pushed it all the way in as far as it will go, I've tried twisting the bag tube, I've even tried taping it into place, but to no avail.

One person told me its common to get bad batches of these, whereas someone else said that its just movement causing it to come out. (doubtful, as the person with it doesnt move at all really).

As you can imagine, with the nature of what this product does, the last thing we need is for it to keep coming undone and causing her to get all wet.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

Who is supplying the catheter? Why not check with them, as they are bound to know more about their products than us crips?
    Or go to website of maker and find distributor details and call them?
    And where the hell is your nurse? Use Golden Pages or Google to find you local HSE Health Centre. Call them and as replies to newbie post suggested,get the nurse and OT to do a home visit.
    I was held in hospital for 4 months,bed-blocking,as they wouldn't release me until support framework was in place. A plan had to be drawn up etc and your mum should not have been allowed home without one.
    Now get busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

Who is supplying the catheter? Why not check with them, as they are bound to know more about their products than us crips?
    Or go to website of maker and find distributor details and call them?
    And where the hell is your nurse? Use Golden Pages or Google to find you local HSE Health Centre. Call them and as replies to newbie post suggested,get the nurse and OT to do a home visit.
    I was held in hospital for 4 months,bed-blocking,as they wouldn't release me until support framework was in place. A plan had to be drawn up etc and your mum should not have been allowed home without one.
    Now get busy.

Thanks for your reply. We have checked with the people supplying them and they have said that the product is fine, and that this just sometimes happens. We have been waiting 3 weeks for a visit from the local nurse, who doesnt answer her phone. I have been waiting a week for a return call from our GP for whom I have left 5 messages, and will not take our calls. The number for the local HSE in our area has yet to be answered in the week I've been trying and has no voicemail. We are waiting for an OT to come out, we were told she would ring us when she has a chance to come. The only other medical option is to go, via ambulance to A&E, and that will doubtlessly end, for the fourth time, in her being sent home in a worse state.
    Trust me, I have been busy.
    Incidentally, the reason I ask these questions here is that, thus far, the good folk of boards have always been able to offer practical advice, and this has been a quick way of getting information when it isnt forthcoming through other channels, which it NEVER is. There is no, and I mean NO support in the Northeast of this country for people with serious medical conditions. While you say you bed blocked for four months waiting for a plan, our mum was allowed out of hospital with kidney failure and a heart rate of 20bpm. The very fact that we took our GP's advice and got her admitted her to hospital has stolen from her what little quality of life she had, and left the entire family in a terrible place.
    Perhaps I am incorrect in asking for this type of advice on this forum, but when every other channel has failed us, this originally appeared to offer some helpful advice.

BTW, what do you mean by "us crips"? I dont understand that reference. Are you a gang member?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Archeron wrote: »
    BTW, what do you mean by "us crips"? I dont understand that reference. Are you a gang member?
    I suggest you watch more southpark !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Bethany

This is a dreadful situation for you to be in. If I were you I would be so angry. Now maybe this might be an idea......in medicine as in life the squeakiest wheel gets the most oil and I think you are being saintly in being so patient.
    What I would suggest is ring the Superintendent Public Health Nurse. Don't be fobbed off, this may be a relatively trivial issue but it is causing a lot of grief. Tell him/her your situation and ask for replacement bags/tubes/ of whatever is needed and tell them how patient you've been but that if necessary you will have to contact the media. This is not right and that company is fobbing you off.......Also another course of action if the stuff is being supplied by the HSE, is to contact the HSE by email and tell them you want to report the situation. They are paying the supplier and won't want complaints so should have an interest in sorting this out.
    If the above is taking too long, how about ringing the ward where you Mum was in hospital and looking for the clinical nurse manager. She/He should at least be able to give you alternative tubes etc until the matter is sorted. Bring a sample of what you are using with you. Best of luck and be nice but very firm. It never pays to be too patient.

Advertisement