Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannot Connect To Wireless: Says Its Out of Range When I'm Looking Right At It!!!!

• 07-11-2007 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

:confused:

I have just set up with a Netopia Wireless from Eircom. I have given myself a personalised SSID and when I try to access my new wireless network, I get the following message:

"Windows is unable to connect to the network, the network may no longer be in range"

Etc etc etc..

Where do I even start to fix this? I am sitting right next to the router, I have 5 bars of connectivity and I can "see" the network clearly.

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Oh, now its back in range and is no longer giving me the out of range message, however I am not being given the opportunity to input the Wireless Key which I have manufactured for it.

Any ideas?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Reconfigure router not to use security. See if you can connect then. If you can, add the security and see if you need to input the key then. You can always set up a new connection and enter the key in then so it won't have to ask you for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A client of mine is having the same problems with her eircom router. It wouldnt ask for the key, so we turned it of, and the same problem.

Im going to head up in a while and see for myself. Bloody bizzare.

Hello again all

The latest chapter in this mess is that one of the guys in the house can connect to the router when it is wireless, the other is connected via the ethernet and I am sitting in the middle with feck all.

However, when I bring the router into my room and connect via the ethernet, access the gateway and then reset the router, the wireless connection works a treat.

When I turn the router off to return it to its original location, the wireless signal is lost {obviously} but then refuses to reconnect. It keeps asking for the wireless key, I keep giving it, and I keep getting nowhere.

Any ideas???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

We had a similier problem with our with our lap top re- wireless router and we still have to resolve it.

• Advertisement

latchyco wrote: »
    We had a similier problem with our with our lap top re- wireless router and we still have to resolve it.

let me know if you hear anything, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Aseth

Try changing channels on the router - go to 192.168.1.254 and then click 'wireless'. Then click advanced options on the right and one of the options is default channel. Try changing to something else then 7 and click save settings at the bottom of the page.
    Sometimes if you have cordless phone and the base stands right next to modem it can behave like that - move those 2 things apart and it should work.

Aseth wrote: »
    Try changing channels on the router - go to 192.168.1.254 and then click 'wireless'. Then click advanced options on the right and one of the options is default channel. Try changing to something else then 7 and click save settings at the bottom of the page.
    Sometimes if you have cordless phone and the base stands right next to modem it can behave like that - move those 2 things apart and it should work.

Hi Aseth, I tried that and the wireless connected for a split second and then disconnected almost immediately. Should I just keep moving up thru the channels, or is this signal-dropping something more serious??? Thanks.

Just changed to channel 2 and she is holding beautifully. Hope it works for long. Thanks for the heads up Aseth, top work.!!

Dropped it again, so I changed to channel 3, restarted, and she came back again. But every change of the channel requires access to the router and this isn't always possible. Cotdamn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Aseth

Well wireless is a little tricky. Its basiacally a signal transmitting through the air and depending on the area it may be interfering with other transmitting devices. Its especially true if you're living in a city/town and have lots of neighbours who may be using wireless/radio devices.
    Usually those 2 things[changing channel and making sure cordless phone base is not right next to your router] help. Also true for a microwave oven ;)

I myself live in the area where we have a lot of wireless traffic plus some strong aerials and it tooks us quite long before we figured out right frequency. Other thing we had linksys and it dropped a lot. We changed router and it works fine now :)

It may happen that your problem is due to equipment[router/adapter] or interference. In some location wireless doesn't work. Anyway try moving router to another room - sometimes it helps.
    There are no other things I could think of, hope it will help

Aseth wrote: »
    Well wireless is a little tricky. Its basiacally a signal transmitting through the air and depending on the area it may be interfering with other transmitting devices. Its especially true if you're living in a city/town and have lots of neighbours who may be using wireless/radio devices.
    Usually those 2 things[changing channel and making sure cordless phone base is not right next to your router] help. Also true for a microwave oven ;)

I myself live in the area where we have a lot of wireless traffic plus some strong aerials and it tooks us quite long before we figured out right frequency. Other thing we had linksys and it dropped a lot. We changed router and it works fine now :)

It may happen that your problem is due to equipment[router/adapter] or interference. In some location wireless doesn't work. Anyway try moving router to another room - sometimes it helps.
    There are no other things I could think of, hope it will help

my mobile phone charger was plugged in, you think that might have been responsible??

Also...I'm on channel 3 now, and its holding again, sofar. Could drop again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

IT Loser wrote: »
    let me know if you hear anything, cheers!
    Will do .....

Advertisement