Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiler for C

Options
  • 07-11-2007 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    This is probably a very simple question.

Is MS Visual Studio 6.0 enough to compile and run programmes written in C?
    Are any modifications necessary? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Nope, thats all you need. Should work "out of the box" too :)

Other popular (free) options include:
    1. installing gcc - the open source (and much more standards compliant) c complier and an editor of your choice

2. Eclipse with gcc

Just to note, i believe the later .Net visual studio is much more compliant with the ANSI C standards, but that probably won't be much of a concern to you till later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Dev C/C++ is a good free compiler :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

sicruise wrote: »
    Dev C/C++ is a good free compiler :)

Dev C++ is not a compiler.

Whilst I have used the Dev C++ environment and I like it, I personally think Eclipse is the way forward...

I believe Emacs/command line is the best way to go for learning from first principles. You really appreciate/understand the development environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

The Application has a component that compiles... we all know it is an IDE smart ass, he wants to know what can he use to "compile" and run programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

sicruise wrote: »
    The Application has a component that compiles... we all know it is an IDE smart ass, he wants to know what can he use to "compile" and run programs.

Yep, its the first option I listed - DEV C uses gcc to compile, albeit a port of it through MINGW, same as some eclipse installations

• Advertisement
Advertisement