Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

skiing holiday help please

• 07-11-2007 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Ok my boyfriend and I went skiing for the first time last January (2007) in Soldeu, we stayed in the Sport Hermitage Hotel, even though I was quite pricey it was worth it. The only thing was the snow wasn't great until the 3rd day, we were lucky it snowed at all as we were learning to ski on ice!!!
    So we want to go back skiing this year (20th of January 2008) but don't know where to start, i have a few questions if anyone could help or give sugestions that would be really great.
    1. we are now begginer/intermediste skiers so lots of blue and red slope...we found soldeu was good as we could ski into the next town and not the same slope all the time.
    2. the ski school in soldeu was amazing and we did provate lessons also in the afternoon...that ski school has been voted best in europe and we would love somewhere close to as good as it.
    3. the hotel we stayed in had an amazing 4 floor spa with all sorts of pools and saunas etc...i know we won't find womething as good but a big spa is a must :)
    4. we're not to sure that we want to go back to andorra at all, we would probably prefer somewhere with more guarenteed snow..
    5. the apres ski and townneeds to be lively as we like going out in the evening, or at least having the option.
    6.and finally great food in the hotel as we will be going for half board...
    7. oh and one more this...ski right down to the hotel..i don't want to be getting buses etc. we were right at the gondella last year.
    8.budget is between 1000-1500 rounghly each...
    9.4/5 star hotel
    sorry im being so specific but if anyone has any suggestions we would really appriciate them....thanks so much for reading this...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hi Lucifer,

First off I wouldn't really guage any place on the snowfall last year, unless you were very lucky it was poor across Europe. Last year I went on three different holidays and it only snowed once. Ive been to Soldeu 5 times now and I still think its a great spot for Begineers to Intermediates.

Ill try and give you some answers though
    1. we are now begginer/intermediste skiers so lots of blue and red slope...we found soldeu was good as we could ski into the next town and not the same slope all the time.
    The more you get to know Soldeu the bigger it becomes, if you have decent snowfall the place really opens up. You can go all the way to the left which opens up another mountain that practically empty all day! One morning we the whole place to ourselves with fresh powder everywhere. Thier also alot of runs to the back of El Tarter that most people dont find. My point being is that I wouldnt rule the place out just on poor snow fall last year.
    2. the ski school in soldeu was amazing and we did provate lessons also in the afternoon...that ski school has been voted best in europe and we would love somewhere close to as good as it.

3. the hotel we stayed in had an amazing 4 floor spa with all sorts of pools and saunas etc...i know we won't find womething as good but a big spa is a must

We never stayed in the "fancy" hotels! ;) Our favourite hotel was Hotel Bruxelles in Soldeu. Really good food and the staff are lovely.
    4. we're not to sure that we want to go back to andorra at all, we would probably prefer somewhere with more guarenteed snow..
    5. the apres ski and townneeds to be lively as we like going out in the evening, or at least having the option.

I went to Livigno last year and loved it so much Im going back this year around the same time (26th Jan). The night life is really good, food & wine is excellent and the snowfall was decent.
    Livigno is alot like Soldeu except the town is more spread out you walk between the bars alot and its a greater distance. Thats said they have a superb bus system that constantly runs in a loop and taxis cost nothing, its like 3 or 4 euro per trip.
    6.and finally great food in the hotel as we will be going for half board...
    7. oh and one more this...ski right down to the hotel..i don't want to be getting buses etc. we were right at the gondella last year.
    8.budget is between 1000-1500 rounghly each...
    9.4/5 star hotel

In Livigno you can get hotels right by the piste but I honestly couldn't tell you which of them is good/bad. We've always had to go with self catering or half board hotels to keep the cost down but even if you get a hotel by the piste you will still be getting taxis/walking to the pubs. Its not like Soldeu where everything is really close on saying all that no one had a problem with it last year, its just different.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

Agree with all Static's points there (and if i personally was in your situation would probably take him up on the advice) , but just to confuse matters..

Austria - was in Zell am See, excellent, very high standard of accommodation and the glacier means guaranteed snow

Switzerland - was lucky enough to spend a few days there, you cannot describe what it is like to be skiing at 3000m besides klien Matterhorn. Town and services i found to be second to none. zermatt.ch has loads of info and offers. It is expensive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

edmund_f wrote: »

Austria - was in Zell am See, excellent, very high standard of accommodation and the glacier means guaranteed snow

there also, you can get bus to the main cable car which bring you to the top of the mountain (the name escapes me now), you can also ski/board right into the centre of town, some nice blue/red runs, some scary black runs, lift pass covers above bus, ours covered the whole region, 'zell am see' and 'kaprun'

Picture052.jpg
    just below the mountain top

Picture030.jpg
    red run into the town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Zell am See is also a good place if you are looking for a spa town! They have loads of spas and stuff. The lake will also probably be frozen and apparently that's great too. I'm not so fond of the skiing or the nightlife there but meh.

If I was recommending somewhere in Austria i'd suggest Saalbach/Hinterglemm. Not sure about the spas there but the skiing and nightlife is super. There's also a good taxi shuttle from Salzburg airport which saves a lot of hassle and isn't that expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

thats great thanks, can anyone recommend specific 4/5star spa hotels? i'm having difficulty...thanks so much again all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 pnjones

I used tripadvisor.com when looking for accommodation when skiing , when you find the area you want to visit post a message on the forum for that area and local experts will give you some alternatives and you can checkout the feedback from users who have stayed at the hotels over the past few years..

Advertisement