Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q+A on Import Duty+Tax [Do Not Ask How to Avoid!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The limit is €22 and they've been cracking down on it a lot due to revenue from other taxation falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    The limit is €22 and they've been cracking down on it a lot due to revenue from other taxation falling.

but the time and effort and cost it takes to process a case must be worth more than the tener there trying to charge me?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The limit has to be set somewhere, and then enforced.

Whatever about the time/effort cost, it's still revenue for the Revenue.

Paulw wrote: »
    The limit has to be set somewhere, and then enforced.

Whatever about the time/effort cost, it's still revenue for the Revenue.

Grr wouldn't mind but I could have split up the pellets and the airsoft gun, shipping is free and it would have brought it under the 22€ limit, will know for next time though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Better suited to Online Buying & Auctions.

Lower tax takes elsewhere means that the Revenue & Customs are enforcing the €22 limit much more than they used to.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So now a 'rifle' shaped package is gonna apear in customs with your name on it and you are worried about the duty/vat on 23.03 worth of goods, you will be lucky if the branch don't come out with it instead of customs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

so let me get this straight. I ordered something off dealextreme and it came to about €7.00. Will I not have to pay vat since its under €22?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jayj224

Hi Guys i'm thinking of buying an iphone on ebay and it will be coming from hong kong or Australia am i nearly 100% likely to be caught for customs due to the value of the item. Many Thanks Jason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Trevor451 wrote: »
    so let me get this straight. I ordered something off dealextreme and it came to about €7.00. Will I not have to pay vat since its under €22?

Why do people have to keep asking the same question? Is 7 < 22?
    jayj224 wrote: »
    Hi Guys i'm thinking of buying an iphone on ebay and it will be coming from hong kong or Australia am i nearly 100% likely to be caught for customs due to the value of the item. Many Thanks Jason

Very likely, and also likely to not be a real iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭donster79

I am ordering something online in from the US(contact lenses) which are far cheaper to buy this way. The total cost of what I am ordering will amount to approx 225 US dollars. Does anyone know how much customs will sting me for when they arrive at my doorstep??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Using current rates I think you will be liable only to VAT on these at 21.5%.

US$ 225 = €157.00 (roughly at todays rate)
    €157 @21.5% = €34 (roughly)

So you will have to pay €34 more on delivery.

Duty is normaly charged at 2.9% i think but as it comes to less than €10 I dont think it will be applied.

All these are open to correction. Below is a link to a duty calculator

http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/37834/

Cheers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Just hope your package aint noticed, absolutely hate paying customs anything at all for some reason!

Its unlikely to not get noticed, the funny thing is it will still be far cheaper to buy the lenses this way than through an optician here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

timmywex wrote: »
    Just hope your package aint noticed, absolutely hate paying customs anything at all for some reason!

60% of the time mine gets noticed all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Moved from After Hours.

They let me off with the 1.10 and decided to let me off with the charges, just received and email from them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MrsBunnsy

Hi all,

I bought this perfume from cdwow.ie. Note the part that says "duty free to your door". On receiving the perfume to my door, I was charged a €6.65 handling charge and €12.00 VAT by customs because the perfume came from Hong Kong. I didn't pay the VAT because it makes the perfume more expensive than it is to buy in the shops and also because I thought I was ordering from Ireland. I was even able to pay with my AIB laser card.

They also wrapped the parcel in silver wrapping paper and tied a ribbon around it, and marked it as a gift, which I thought was a bit weird. Are gifts VAT exempt?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MrsBunnsy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I bought this perfume from cdwow.ie. Note the part that says "duty free to your door".

They're not VAT registered in Ireland, and they don't charge VAT or duty on any of their products. They can make any claim they want, as they're not governed by Irish or EU law. Technically, it was duty free all the way to your door though, at which point you were charged the duty. It is not possible to buy duty free items and have them delivered to you, unless their value is under €22.
    On receiving the perfume to my door, I was charged a €6.65 handling charge and €12.00 VAT by customs because the perfume came from Hong Kong. I didn't pay the VAT because it makes the perfume more expensive than it is to buy in the shops and also because I thought I was ordering from Ireland. I was even able to pay with my AIB laser card.

Unfortunately, "thought" isn't good enough. It's up to consumers to be aware of where they're buying from. CDWow should make you aware of this, but probably didn't. I thought everyone knew CDWow were HK based?
    They also wrapped the parcel in silver wrapping paper and tied a ribbon around it, and marked it as a gift, which I thought was a bit weird. Are gifts VAT exempt?

No, gifts are VAT exempt up to €45. This isn't a gift though, as you bought it. You cannot buy a gift, you must receive a gift. If you give it to someone else, then it's a gift, but you still need to pay the VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MrsBunnsy

They don't state anywhere on their website or in their terms and conditions that they are based in Hong Kong and that VAT is applicable to orders over €22. I didn't know they were based in Hong Kong, there is no way of finding that out until you get something from them. They also operated through an irish bank account because otherwise they wouldn't have been able to accept AIB laser payments. And technically it wasn't duty free to my door because duty was charged when it entered the country.

Also I know its not a gift since I bought it, and I know what a gift is, thats why I thought it was weird that cdwow ticked the box beside gift on the hongkong post customs declaration, and wrapped my purchase in wrapping paper with a ribbon. That suggests they were trying to pass it off as a gift.

They arent replying to my emails so I called the NCA, see what they say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I was looking at having a Google phone shipped to me from the USA. Am I likely to get stung for customs on it? I read that the UK don't have import duty for mobile phones and was wondering if Ireland had the same policy.

They also operated through an irish bank account because otherwise they wouldn't have been able to accept AIB laser payments.

Not true, their payment processor can accept Laser cards, they don't need an Irish bank to do this.
    They arent replying to my emails so I called the NCA, see what they say...

Unlikely the NCA can do anything for you, as CDWow are not based here. They certainly will have no power over CDWow.
    Baza210 wrote: »
    I read that the UK don't have import duty for mobile phones and was wondering if Ireland had the same policy.

Not true. All EU countries charge VAT and possibly duty on imports, and phones are no exception. The UK definitely does. A $500 phone will attract a lot of attention.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_009989&propertyType=document

^As per link, nil import duty on mobile phones. However, the Nx1 has GPS so probably falls outside that category anyway. VAT is another story altogether.

Any idea what sort of rate I'd be charged? Thanks.

When people ask about duty, I assume they mean VAT, since that's the one that's always charged. The duty limit is 150 euro, so often your purchase is exempt anyway. In Ireland, Duty is rarely applied on import purchases. They just go with the VAT, which is going to be the bulk of the charge anyway.

VAT will apply to your phone, and it will be 21%. Don't know if duty would be added too.

So it would probably be another hundred euro making it more like €500. Ouch. I shall explore alternatives. Thanks very much for the help.

Yep, plus the handling fee of €5-15 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭new fang

hey, i have recently purchased a laptop from the states (worth ~650 usd + shipping). it was sent through usps (united states postal service). my question is this: will i get my laptop first then a bill for the vat/import duty, or the other way around, meaning they will hold the goods until i pay up? do usps shippings become delivered by an post once they enter the country?

also, what is this retarded "handling fee" and when does it become applicable?

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Has anyone purchased from http://www.abebooks.co.uk and had their stuff sent from the USA and had to pay duty/vat once your parcel got to Ireland/Irish Customs?

As I was thinking a book from them but the seller is in the USA and the total for the book incl shipping is around €28 euros.

I presume if I did order the book I'd have to pay Irish customs, but I want to be sure first.

Thanks.

new fang wrote: »
    my question is this: will i get my laptop first then a bill for the vat/import duty, or the other way around, meaning they will hold the goods until i pay up?

Depends, sometimes it's collect on delivery, other times you're billed first. There's no hard and fast rule.
    do usps shippings become delivered by an post once they enter the country?

An Post, yes.
    also, what is this retarded "handling fee" and when does it become applicable?

A fee charged by the carrier (An Post or courier) for collecting the VAT on behalf of Revenue. It can be up to €15.
    -Orlaith- wrote: »
    As I was thinking a book from them but the seller is in the USA and the total for the book incl shipping is around €28 euros.

I presume if I did order the book I'd have to pay Irish customs, but I want to be sure first.

There is no VAT on books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

jor el wrote: »
    There is no VAT on books.
    Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement