Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SAAB 93 What size engine?

Options
  • 07-11-2007 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I am thinking of buying a SAAB 93 in the new year...what engine size do people out there recommend?
    Reading a few threads a lot of people have very mixed opinions of SAAB 93's, why?
    They look great and are a decent machine....
    Are there any fans out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

I am thinking of buying a SAAB 93 in the new year...what engine size do people out there recommend?
    Reading a few threads a lot of people have very mixed opinions of SAAB 93's, why?
    They look great and are a decent machine....
    Are there any fans out there?

IMO the older ones (2.2 diesel) were rubbish, but the 1.9tid is much much better, if you can, get the new 180bhp 1.9 twin turbo diesel

that is assuming you want a diesel of course, I have only driven the Diesel models, so somone else might lend their opinion of the petrol models

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

I drove the 1.8T for a week or two and I was bitterly dissapointed, felt like a tank, had very little acceleration and the gear box was ridiculously clunky... I would stay clear if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 1.8i is supposed to be terrible, and the "1.8"t(badged 1.8t even though it's actually a 2.0) is not supposed to be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

My girlfriend has a 9-3 2.0 s Aero.

It's a lovely unique type of car. Nice and powerful to drive but I am not so sure about the Cabriolet models. It's seems to have a lot of shudders / feedback apparently common in many Cabriolets.

Chevy RV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

A magazine article I read recently said that they dont handle well and are outclassed by alot of rivals like Ford, BMW and Lexus.

See more here: http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review/saab-9-3-saloon/458/ where it says Ride & handling are way off the class pace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

Slightly OT but new they suffer horrendous depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭jack_pearse

Yes but because of that, second hand they are great value.....04 you can get for 15,000 to 20,000 Euro. That's one of the things that's tempting me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes, the old 2.2 diesel is rubbish - a GM engine.

Buy a 1.9 TiD - Fiat engine - and you should be much better. I haven't driven that engine in the Saab, but have in an Alfa and Fiat, and it's very good.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Yes but because of that, second hand they are great value.....04 you can get for 15,000 to 20,000 Euro. That's one of the things that's tempting me

They are good value second hand - I bought the 1.8T Vector earlier in the year . 4 years old and 36% of the original price. Make sure you buy a higher spec model with leather alloys etc. It will be easier to sell on afterwards. Go for the Vector or Aero models.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

I own a 1999 Saab 93 SE, very reliabe, nice to drive and tons of space. Not the prettiest in the world but NONE of the problems my last Alfa Romeo gave me ... that broke my heart (and wallet) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Chevy RV wrote: »
    My girlfriend has a 9-3 2.0 s Aero.

It's a lovely unique type of car. Nice and powerful to drive but I am not so sure about the Cabriolet models. It's seems to have a lot of shudders / feedback apparently common in many Cabriolets.

Chevy RV

This was True for the older style 9-3 (pre 2003). however I have a newer 9-3 Aero Cabrio and it is like a rocket and completely solid. Great fun car to drive.

I did have previously an 05 9-3 1.8t which was very dead so the engine to go for is either the 1.9tid 180 or the 2.0T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

sicruise wrote: »
    I drove the 1.8T for a week or two and I was bitterly dissapointed, felt like a tank, had very little acceleration and the gear box was ridiculously clunky... I would stay clear if I were you.

Considering a 9-3 also at the moment. Surprised to read the critical opinion of the 1.8t. 1.8i is lacking in acceleration but thought that n 1.8t was supposed to be OK - if not a sharp as the 2.0t clearly.

Anyone driven 1.8t versus 1.9TiD ? Theres more to it than 0-60, but figures suggest that 1.9TiD150 and 1.8t dont have that much between them as long as youre willing to shift gears a bit in the petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

steer clear of the 95 and buy a 95 ( alot of 1 year old 5-10,000 miles flouting about )

i dont like the 93 because there nothing but trouble ( like All saabs and volvos )

if it was to me id get a 2.5 saab 9000... blow everyone away in a 4 door " doctors " car

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Humblepie

Only one worth talking about these days is the 9-3 Aero 210 bhp one. Fast machine. Wil outrun a 911 turbo in a from 40-70mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A 03 model 9-3 vector 1.8T, i thought was a lovely car, make sure u get nice set of wheels, otherwise it can make the car look god awful... I saw a grey, new model, with these 15 or 16 inch wheels and it looked too big for the wheels... The wheels on the vector sport look nice, but then again, wheels mightn't be an issue for u... Other than that, i like them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Check out

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/Review.aspx?model=780

Saab are a nice and unique car. I am taking in my new 9-3 2.0T Vector in Janurary from the UK. I wouldnt buy the 1.8i or 1.8T though, you need the 175BHP from the 2.0T to move you along.

These cars can look amazing with the 5 spoke wheels and the fin on the roof. Wheel spin in 3rd gear due to the engine power in the 2.0T = alot of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

2.0t aero or 2.8v6 aero, that is all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

logik wrote: »
    Check out

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/Review.aspx?model=780

Saab are a nice and unique car. I am taking in my new 9-3 2.0T Vector in Janurary from the UK. I wouldnt buy the 1.8i or 1.8T though, you need the 175BHP from the 2.0T to move you along.

These cars can look amazing with the 5 spoke wheels and the fin on the roof. Wheel spin in 3rd gear due to the engine power in the 2.0T = alot of fun :)

Logik, the 1.8t has the exact same engine and turbo as the 2.0t. But SAAB have detuned it from 175 BHP to 150BHP. You could get it remapped yourself for a lot less than what SAAB charge.

Note the use of the small t. Only the Aero's have large Ts (bigger turbo)

BMW do similar with their cars.

*Cough* Will be selling a high spec 04 2.0t Vector Sport auto in January. €52k miles. BSR remapped to 204 BHP.

Will be taking delivery of a 159 TI. :D

Would have considered your Saab mate only that it is against the law for me to drive a AUTO.

Where Against the law = boring a ****. :D

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    Would have considered your Saab mate only that it is against the law for me to drive a AUTO.

Where Against the law = boring a ****. :D

I would have agreed with you until I took this for a test drive. It's actually better for some cars. You'll note the odd comment by peole saying they're disappointed with their SAAB experience.

I've a feeling this has to do with not realising the car is supposed to sound like it's reving to heaven. It's called having a sporty engine! So, they upshift sooner than they should. With the auto (did I mention it's tiptronic with F1 style padels on the steering wheel? :D) you can ignore your natural - I normally drive a 1.4 litre punto - instinct and let her rip to its full potential.

Hmm, Pm me with the details please. Let me know what your looking for price wise.

Advertisement