Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In Praise of.... Good Radio

• 07-11-2007 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading down the front page of this forum, I think it shows there is a lot of things that people don't like, be it from D'arcy to Ryan to stations to ads. Its not down to the forum being unduly negative, but I suppose its down to the fact that only what annoys us really gets people tapping at their keyboards.

But what of the good stuff?

Is there a bit of radio that you've heard recently that made you say to yourself "cor, that was good". Maybe its a programme, or a presenter, an interview or a documentary, even a station that you think is/was good, and worthy of a mention.

This thread should be just about good stuff that you enjoyed and what you recommend to others. I don't really want to see people argue with previous posters, just a list of what makes you happy; a bit like Mike65's preset thread.

Looking forward to a litany of good things. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pokerbratz

right on brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Well I generally find Morning Ireland satisfactory, but there's room for improvement. I also enjoy Sean Moncrieff on the rare occassions I get to listen to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

moncrieff is great as is the 2fm alarm clock. i'd give some big props to the main crew on phantom, particularly the people who do the "specialty" shows. not for their prowess as radio jocks, but for the fact that they know their music and aren't afraid to share that knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bilko

1 the news quiz
    2 Haven't got a clue
    3 Excess Baggage
    4 From our own Correspondent
    5 Off the Ball (though not all 3 hours)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Moncrief is good. Off the ball can be good, but i only hear it occasionally, (and obviously skip the football show, cos football is kinda sucky)

For what it is i like Ian Dempsey in the morning, and Matt Cooper is great at what he does on the last word...

That is all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

John creedon on rte1 @ midnight is a nice relaxing show,plays some nice music, doesn't really go in for any of the funny stuff he used to on the afternoon show.I'd recommend.

World music is another I listen to,can't remember when it's on though or who presents it. I'm a one station man I'm afraid,if I don't like whats on I flick to the mp3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This could be a low-gear engage 4 wheel drive thread ;)

I'll highlight something that I was'nt expecting and which I don't always listen to but am glad its there - the Saturday and Sunday evening line ups on Newstalk programmes like Talking History, The Snug, Culture Shock are all at times exellent and not what you'd expect from a fairly low-budget station like NT, not that the programmes are expensive of course. They have a light touch while not dumbing down.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Another Sean Moncrief and Matt Cooper fan here...

I heard a show on Newstalk a few months ago. It was their Saturday Night Music show (All About Music?). I was driving up to Galway that night, and all the other channels were playing crappy dance music.

It had George Hook and Dana (I know, I know) yakking away to each other and playing their favourite music. Sounds terrible, but it was a really good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I agree with Dubtom, I think John Creedon is great. He plays great music at night, he tends to lean towards latin/Spanish music which is great.

Newstalk is generally great, apart from the mid morning “fluffy” shows.

Jim O’ Neill on today fm is a great DJ, he announces the song ( without a mid-atlantic or D4 accent), gives some info on the band and then shuts up and plays the song.

I’m not sure how to do a poll, but I think this would be interesting:

You have to pick one only for your home.
    TV or Radio?

I could easily live without the tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Sunday mornings on Today fm are excellent, The buisness show is very easy on the ear if like me your not particulary into money markets and shares etc.. but it is very informative, Sunday Suplement is always a good listen, the show from New York a couple of weeks ago was just brillant really intresting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

spadder wrote: »
    You have to pick one only for your home.
    TV or Radio?

I could live without a radio, but not without music (need music..)

I'd manage without a telly, but that's purely cos i watch a lot of tv on my laptop...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I really enjoy Access All Areas which is on Phantom in the mornings. It's good for picking up on new bands or art exhibitions that I may not have heard about.

My favourite, when I get to hear it, it Sunday Miscellany on RTE one on Sunday mornings. I think it's so well put together and nicely executed. If only I could wake up in time to hear it more regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

Favourite radio show has to be Donal Dineen's Small Hours on Today FM. Haven't been able to listen to much more than 20-30 mins of each show the last few weeks as I have to be up early, but last night i stayed up til 2 cos the music was just sooo good:)(didn't have to work today either which helped).

Also like Off the Ball from 7 to 10, usually get a few laughs out of it. Don't often get to listen to Sean Moncrieff, but I love his movies and booze feature on Fridays, it's perfect end of week listening.

Usually can't listen to anything in the mornings (due to general grumpiness) but the Colm and Jimjim show can be funny sometimes. I find that weekends are like a barren desert in terms of radio goodness with the exception of the Corona HHHot Mix when I'm getting ready for the razzledazzle;)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've found Newstalk to be a godsend for when I'm driving. Depending on when I'm on the road, it can be a refreshing alternative to the music on the other stations. I like Off the Ball, Late Night Live, Talking History and The Snug. Depending on what he's covering, I like Dave Fanning's show on Radio 1. The Last Word is usually excellent though I do sometimes dip into RTE's Drivetime (I find George Hook a bit much tbh). I don't really get to listen to daytime radio in work so I can't comment on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

I love Hookie on Newstalk!

And The Archers on Radio4 :o

Most things on Radio 4 actually! :D

Sudzs you have to check out I'm Sorry I Have'nt a Clue which is back on Monday. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

mike65 wrote: »
    Sudzs you have to check out I'm Sorry I Have'nt a Clue which is back on Monday. :)

Mike.

Great! Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Moro23

I love listening to Steve Wright in sunday mornings on BBC radio 2 I've been listening to steve since 1984 when he was on BBC radio 1 and I don't know the name of any of his kids I don't even know if he has any. There is a lesson there for Irish dj's. On irish radio I enjoy Friday night 80's on Today fm and I love it when Tom Dunne Takes over Ray d'arcy's show .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Moro23 wrote: »
    On irish radio I enjoy Friday night 80's on Today fm.

Too damn repetitive, same songs every week, same with their Satuday night disco or whatever it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

I like Moncrieff & Your Call (Brenda Power) on Newstalk & Matt Cooper on Today FM. I like Damien Kiberd when he's on as well.

For music I like Tom Dunne on Today FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Big Tone wrote: »
    Too damn repetitive, same songs every week, same with their Satuday night disco or whatever it's called.

I think you have missed the point of this thread;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Positive thoughts about radio output I enjoy:

Going to start with my favourite radio show of the week, Pete Tong's Essential Selection, a 2-hr round up (used to be three :mad: ) of everything going on in the world of electronic music, broadcast on BBC R1 and on the web from Friday evening @ 7pm.
    The show exudes quality in so many areas; production, research, content, guests....and just the sheer passion which Tong manages to inject even after 14 yrs. Of course it helps if you like dance music and club culture to begin with, but even those with wider tastes would find it hard to better this radio gem.
    With the way the BBC is going, this show's time may be numbered; catch it while you can IMO...

Moving on to something more national; can't fault Cooper's Last Word, weekdays 5-7pm on TodayFM; quality presentation, seems to have an understanding of what listeners actually want to hear on a news magazine. If it weren't for all the ads and O2 branding it'd be perfect.
    Staying with TodayFM, their sunday morning business show (10.30am) is a great lie-in listen. I have nothing to do with economics and business in my day to day life but I find many of the topics on this hour long show to be interesting and I usually learn something too.

Back to BBC output and Radio 4. I listen to this station a lot, mainly for news and it's handful of archaic comedy shows. Other posters have mentioned ISIHAC above, it's one of my favourites since I was very young as well. Humphrey Littleton is the quintessential smartarse quizmaster and the wit and laughs are second to none. I also enjoy the News Quiz. That said, some of the newer breed of Radio4 comedy isn't in the same league and I find myself switching off....but I'm not allowed be negative here so maybe the newer stuff just isn't for me...
    Other Radio 4 shows I like; Brain of Britain, Desert Island Discs, You and Yours....in fact the only thing I don't like on the station is their period dramas and some of their book choices for serialisation.

Nothing else really springs to mind....Liveline (RTE R1 weekdasy 1.45pm) maybe, if only for the diverse swathe of topics and opinions it constantly throws out. Duffy is a good host and the show is usually well researched; the only thing tha has me turning off is too much focus on certain subjects over a lengthy period....or someone with a very silly or downright misinformed opinion being given ample airtime.

Honourable mention for a show on my local radio station, LMFM. It's morning magazine, Loose Talk (weekdays 9am-11am) deals with local issues and serves as a forum for people to air views on the usual local issues. There's nothing stunning about it, but for a local show they get good guests (politicians, who they aren't afraid to ask the awkward questions of) and they cover a wide range of subjects.

Last favourite show and perhaps a bit of an odd choice: there's an hour long show of jazz, swing and big band that used to air on late sunday afternoons (perhaps it's moved, can't find it in the schedules) that is really a great way to just wind down or sit listneing to in a darkened room. I wouldn't be a jazz fan and certainly wouldn't listen to radio 3 much, but I found myself tuning into this show every week for ages and I always came away with a smile.

Wertz check out That Mitchell and Webb Sound which is even better than the tv version. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/thatmitchellandwebbsound/

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 here&there

Living abroad and having English as a non-native language, I enjoy the RTE spoken output very much. Fine examples to me are, among others Sunday Miscellany which has a brilliant simple idea and lovely crafted, The Curious Ear, Shanks Mare (now off air, but still remembered). I remember also 5-7 Live when it was on shortwave years ago - what an experience! A few documentaries as well.

Love this calm side of Radio, and I just need to say Irish speech is fantastic. Cheers to anyone from RTE reading ))

Advertisement