Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Settings - Seamless Rate Adaptation

Options
  • 07-11-2007 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Just trying to fine tune my router setup (BT Voyager 2110) and just wondered if anyone could shed any light on the following;

Under 'ADSL Configuration', theres a section where 'Seamless Rate Adaptation' can be selected (its unticked right now). Just wondering what the purpose of this feature is (doesnt seem to be covered by the manual i've got)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 footfall

found this on the web

Rate Adaptation - ADSL's lines are sensitive to interferences which damage their performances. The most common type of interference is called "crosstalk", an electro-magnetic interference caused on one pair of cooper lines by another adjacent pair. Changes in the Crosstalk can drop the ADSL line.
    Other interferences can be caused by temperature, AM radio bands disturbances, and water gathered in the binder /shielding.
    ADSL2 solves these problems by adapting the line's data rate in real time upon probing an interference, without any data lose or bit errors correction neccesary, transparently from the user. This is method called "SRA" - Seamless Rate Adaptation, a protocol which, by decoupling the modulation and framing layer, can change the transmission data rate parameters (applied by the modulation layer) without changing any of the frame layer parameters, so there is no need for restarting or resynchronizing the two end systems.

http://www2.rad.com/networks/2005/adsl/adsl2.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks footfall. I suppose it only applies to ADSL2 then.

Advertisement