Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

editing from dvd's

• 07-11-2007 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I have looked back at previous threads and stickies and could not find an answer to my very basic ( and ignorant ) question.

Basically somebody has asked me ( I am part of a gaa club ) to see if I could take some footage from a few dvd's ( of football matches ) and take a few clips from each and put it together into one piece of about 10 minutes and then burn this onto a dvd. Like a highlights package taken from the original dvd's.

Anyway is there any point in trying to do attack this myself or is it just too hard in terms of learning curve, required software / hardware etc.

I have never touched video ever before but would otherwise be fairly computer savvy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Anyway is there any point in trying to do attack this myself or is it just too hard in terms of learning curve, required software / hardware etc.

I have never touched video ever before but would otherwise be fairly computer savvy.

It's doable, but to an extent you do need to know what you are doing.

Personally, i'd do a job like this on a mac as there seems to better free tools available.

Mactheripper - will rip you dvd into one large vob file.
    I'd then fire the vob into mpeg streamclip and convert it to a quicktime or avi. and then bring that into my editing package to splice and dice.

There are similar tools for windows, there is also a windows version of mpeg streamclip.

As for editing packages, avid free dv (now discontinued :( ), premier pro, imovie, final cut pro/express.. check out the sticky at the top of the forum for more info on different editing packages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Would connecting a DV camcorder to a dvd player and recording the footage onto a DV tape work? (that is if the DVD isn't copyrighted) haven't tried it myself, but have done it with VHS tapes.

since this is a local club football match i'd be surprised if the dvd has css protection. You generally only find that on dvds that you buy in the shops where there is a reason why they are protecting their copyright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

To answer your original question, though, I'd say tell the club to get a professional (or at least a highly knowledgeable amateur) to do this.

have to agree with extopia,

off topic but matrixroyal, what club are you doing it for?

• Advertisement
Advertisement