Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3g O2 broadband is there a difference

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭chikuu

nicnicnic wrote: »
    I'm with O2 for my phone and considering getting either of the following. Is there any difference between the products

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Services/O2+Broadband

http://www.vodafone.ie/broadband/

Hi nicnicnic,

I have the Vodafone modem since July. Reason for buying it is I cant get Eircom broadband at home yet so I thought Vodafone would be a good option and it was!! Vodafone has the best coverage in Ireland compared to O2, Meteor and Three. I live in the countryside and the Modem works perfect. I dont get the 3.6Mps that they advertise but I get very close to the speed. A downside is its quota. U are only allowed a 5GB quota with vodafone, if you go over the 5GB quota, you must pay 2c per MB which is ok. It used to be 12c per MB but they decreased it as many people went over the quota. I have never gone over it yet. Another issue is cost. For a 18 month contract, u pay €14.99 for the first three months and then €30 for the other 15 months, pricey but worth it I think!

I cant speak for O2, but when I went to buy it first, they said there was no coverage where I lived so I could not get it. If you live in a town or city u should be grand! o2 give a 10GB quota, that twice more than Vodafone! Speed is 3.6Mps aswell. U metioned u were a O2 customer, are u Speakeasy or Pay monthly?? u can check their prices on http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Services/O2+Broadband/Pricing

In the end its ur choice, personally Vodafone, but it depends where u live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

o2 bigger cap better service and edge

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

i'm on 3 and personally ui think its the best cuz not as many people have it yet so less contention

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

i'm on 3 and personally ui think its the best cuz not as many people have it yet so less contention
    Im sorry WHAT!?!?. If anything 3 has the more people than the other two. If anyone reads that comment and it even crosses their mind to get 3 have a look at the 3000+ post thread about how bad they are. 3 are a bunch of crooks and shouldn't be inflicted upon anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

thanks for the replies I'm a pay monthly o2 mobile customer and live in a city so this looks like the best option, the download limit isn't very important to me but an uninterrupted service is. How consistent are the connections with this type of broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

nicnicnic wrote: »
    thanks for the replies I'm a pay monthly o2 mobile customer and live in a city so this looks like the best option, the download limit isn't very important to me but an uninterrupted service is. How consistent are the connections with this type of broadband
    Won't be near as reliable as a fixed connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Won't be near as reliable as a fixed connection.

I agree with this, a fixed connection is more reliable usualy but if you have to choose a mobile broadband connection than 02 might be your better choice if you are interested in downloading a lot (due to the 10GB fair usage policy on O2 rather than the 5GB hard limit on Vodafone).

I've done a little price comparison about the mobile broadband providers here.

My tip would be to get into the store of O2 and Vodafone (or better order online as that gives you a discount with Vodafone) and try it out at your location. Don't just try it once, try it at different times of the day (and weekend) to see how the connection is. Than return the unit that does not perform to your satisfaction within the trial period that both O2 and Voda are giving you.

O2 has the advantage that it goes down to EDGE if HSPA does not work and that is very reliable than.

As you have an O2 contract it's also nearly the same price as Voda if you stay within the limits (but remember Voda only gives you 5GB).

I hope you find the right solution..

What ever you do, don't take 3.. (my personal opinion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If your only choice is mobile broadband then I'd suggest O2 - larger cap, better customer service, better service, faster speeds in non 3G areas.

Of course, check coverage in your area first - who knows, maybe Vodafone is all you can get.

Do not purchase 3 under any circumstances is my opinion.

Advertisement