Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cunninghams

Options
  • 07-11-2007 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭

Just had the best fish and chips I've had for a long time - a very generous fillet of white fish with just the right amount of crispy batter and lovely chips - from the reincarnated Cunninghams.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You might have just been lucky, as the amount of people complaing about it is very high!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Haven't been in since , but I know the Qs in Dooleys have got a lot longer (damn) but they do stay open later now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

Well i have had chips in there loads of times since it was bought and each time they have been very nice if not better.
    I'm starting to think that the people complaining about the chips are not really complaining about the chips, but the people serving them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

paul666 wrote: »
    Well i have had chips in there loads of times since it was bought and each time they have been very nice if not better.
    I'm starting to think that the people complaining about the chips are not really complaining about the chips, but the people serving them,

Very True

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wellboy1976

Sully is the only one that says he is from Tramore, so am I. Take it from us.................it is stink. Tonys is much nicer.

Dont pull the race card because, foreigners own Tonys too and it is much nicer, the little girl who serves there is very friendly, always smiling, think they are from Moldova.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

To be fair, I aint eaten there in a long time. I had food once since it was taken over and iv just heard comments from locals since then. Iv no idea if it improved, but im sticking with Tonys as they have always had nicer food, better quantites, and cheaper prices. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Have to say Dooley's is a great chipper (best in Tramore if ya ask me!). Food is much nicer then Tonies and I havn't eaten in Cunninghams since the new owners took over. Tonies are a complete rip-off! €1.80 for a battered sausage. They can keep it.

Minto wrote: »
    Have to say Dooley's is a great chipper (best in Tramore if ya ask me!). Food is much nicer then Tonies and I havn't eaten in Cunninghams since the new owners took over. Tonies are a complete rip-off! €1.80 for a battered sausage. They can keep it.

Bit of a biased response considering at least two friends of yours work there :p

Tonys battered sausage is bigger and nicer then Doolys.

Sully wrote: »
    Bit of a biased response considering at least two friends of yours work there :p

Tonys battered sausage is bigger and nicer then Doolys.

Let me get this straight, Sully, your saying you like big sausage? Ok, well each to his own. :p

As for being biased, at least one of those guys is friends with you too. I just think it is nicer, but then there was me thinking my opinion was my own. Silly silly me!

Hey your the one giving out about the price of a sausage, so you must like it to!!

Ah but you see, im not boasting about how great Doolys is :P I know you, and Tonys used to be your thing more then Doolys. Ah yes, your opinion is a bit flawed :p

• Advertisement

Hey your the one giving out about the price of a sausage, so you must like it to!!

Ah but you see, im not boasting about how great Doolys is :P I know you, and Tonys used to be your thing more then Doolys. Ah yes, your opinion is a bit flawed :p

Tonies was grand when they were a bit more generous with their portions and their food was a lot nicer. That was before the new owners. I still eat there, but only because I don't like Junction when I'm drunk!

Oh I agree with you on that, portions dropped since the new owners came. The food quality dropped for a while, but has definately picked up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Was Tony's the same Tony's beside The Forum on The Glen and also had Burger Hill in Mullinavat? I think they had at least one more I can't recall when I knew them too. I worked with them before, though not in any of their chippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It was certainly the same Tonys as the Forum one, there was one in Dungarvan too, don't know if the new owners are the same though

It was a family run business, and the family had a shop in Tramore, Waterford and Dungarvan. Its been said he leased the shop in Tramore & Dungarvan to someone else. Waterford is the same, as I recognise some of them from the old Tonys.

A local chap said they were in a car accident shortly after leaving Tramore, but I dont think it was anything serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think the reason why Cunninghams has received so much slack is because of it's history. I remember going in there as a wee chisler and sitting up on the counter being given sample chips to eat while waiting for my food. It's that sort of friendly attitude and approach towards customers that helped make Cunninghams so popular.

It's just not the same when you go into the place and have you and your order referred to as a number every night. Food, in my mind, tastes better when served to you with a smile and words along the lines of "hope you enjoy your battered sausages" rather than "ORDERRRR FIFTEEEEEEEN!!!" "THANK YOU" "BYE".

This isn't me having a jab at those who work there because I realised that times have changed and you can't kids sitting on counters being fed free chips all day, but I can't help but remember thats what made Cunninghams so great and am sadly disappointed whenever I go in there with the high expectations of yesteryear.

I think the reason why Cunninghams has received so much slack is because of it's history. I remember going in there as a wee chisler and sitting up on the counter being given sample chips to eat while waiting for my food. It's that sort of friendly attitude and approach towards customers that helped make Cunninghams so popular.

It's just not the same when you go into the place and have you and your order referred to as a number every night. Food, in my mind, tastes better when served to you with a smile and words along the lines of "hope you enjoy your battered sausages" rather than "ORDERRRR FIFTEEEEEEEN!!!" "THANK YOU" "BYE".

This isn't me having a jab at those who work there because I realised that times have changed and you can't kids sitting on counters being fed free chips all day, but I can't help but remember that's what made Cunninghams so great and am sadly disappointed whenever I go in there with the high expectations of yesteryear.

Just so people know, this has been like this well before the new owners. I think it all went down hill when they decided to renovate the shop, put up a new menu, increase prices and decrease portions.

Doolys hasn't changed a bit, and is probably the only chipper (beside Billys down the Prom) who kept their image without screwing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Call me crazy, but didn't Dooly's just renovate their premises drastically in the past few weeks? Their battered sausages still taste good though :)

A change of face while keeping a good image is what I meant, sorry. Cunnighams went tacky, Doolys is pretty good (tho, one of the letters on the sign is brighter then others. Really should get that fixed :P)

tho, one of the letters on the sign is brighter then others. Really should get that fixed :P

ROFL! I'll pass that on, lol!

• Advertisement

Am I the only one not to notice? It stands out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

funny thread :D

i remember cunninghams was talked about far and wide!

i went there last summer and was not impressed, the battered sausage i got was basically a battered cocktail sausage. scamers! i had to search for them under the chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Would have given Dooleys the vote up to a few weeks ago but recent visits haven't been up to their usual standard - the chips were quite greasy!!

So much so that i went to Cunninghams as a result and have to say they were excellent. Eve went back twice since and the chips were superb. No grease, just nice and crisp.

Had the chicken too and it was fine but nothing else. Will post back when I get around to having a burger etc!!

Advertisement