Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development in Tramore

Options
  • 07-11-2007 9:09pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey..

Anyone have any information on what road changes are being carried out by the ESB field in Tramore? I know they (seem to at least) have begun development of the new shopping center (Tesco, and Lidl) there but I cant recall what road changes are being made and when the ETA for the whole thing is.

Also, Londis is being replaced by some food store. Got a butcher counter, vegatables and such stuff. Seems good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

or any word on the development that is being planned beside the Lido's pizza down on the prom,
    Evidently they're after planning permission for a four story structure with a viewing point on top, to include restraraunt, pub , shops etc. Four stories seems excessive there considering it's surroundings but at least they aint looking for more bad build holiday lets

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

rasper wrote: »
    or any word on the development that is being planned beside the Lido's pizza down on the prom,
    Evidently they're after planning permission for a four story structure with a viewing point on top, to include restraraunt, pub , shops etc. Four stories seems excessive there considering it's surrounding but at least they aint looking for more bad build holiday lets
    That, and also Dunnes.

News & Star has said very little about it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sm123_irl

The hotel \ hostel that was planned next to Lido had its planning permission turned down, Dunnes will be going where South \ CeltWorld was and that go the go ahead at the same time as the Tesco \ Lidi complex. The road leading into that will come off the Meadowbrook round about which will be made bigger and moved slightly with the Summerhill road from the graveyard being closed off from what I have heard.

I do wonder if that is the best location for a Dunnes stores, granted anything is better than the eyesore that is there now but a shopping centre generally can have a run down appearance and play havoc with the traffic flow very quickly.

That said are three supermarkets really going to fight for the Tramore market now, or are the developers going to now amend the PP for other tenants.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im more concerned about the impact it will have on the history of the area - ie railway station. I hope the design is good and the apperance is kept clean, as that area need a good clean up (thanks to Mr.Piper & The Doolys for their effort anyway).

Tesco, Lidi and Dunnes - Cant see Super Value liking that at all.

• Advertisement

Thats what I'm saying, it all looks good in plan and when freshly built but throw a few years and usual degradation onto a complex and can end up a s**thole, I'm sure Souths looked great on paper and even when it was shiny.

Can't touch the station (Thank god), and probably/hopefully be tenfold better after for a long number of years.

rasper wrote: »
    Thats what I'm saying, it all looks good in plan and when freshly built but throw a few years and usual degradation onto a complex and can end up a s**thole, I'm sure Souths looked great on paper and even when it was shiny.

Can't touch the station (Thank god), and probably/hopefully be tenfold better after for a long number of years.

Aye, good thing is some places keep it as good as it appears on paper. Other places don't - and iv never been to fond of Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Given the size of population in Tramore now it could certainly support more than the existing one supermarket, and if trade is attracted into Tramore it can only improve the town and support smaller shops. It will draw trade out of Waterford though and the rumoured demolition of the Poleberry Tesco and rebuilding as a larger Tesco seems very unlikely - has anyone heard anything about that?

looksee wrote: »
    Given the size of population in Tramore now it could certainly support more than the existing one supermarket, and if trade is attracted into Tramore it can only improve the town and support smaller shops. It will draw trade out of Waterford though and the rumoured demolition of the Poleberry Tesco and rebuilding as a larger Tesco seems very unlikely - has anyone heard anything about that?

If I recall, I read in the News & Star that planning got the go ahead for that..

Its no rumour. I think Tramore is going to pull from towns surrounding us, and some Waterfordians. But Waterford will still be key for draging in people from places like KK, Cork, Carlow etc.

The development wont start until the new year sometime, as they were delayed due to problems getting access to the site to do the new road way. Thats all sorted now and there looking for a contractor for the Tesco.

Lidl was objected to by one person, and a decision is due on November 28th. Hope it gets the go-ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

TBH, I think it's kind of stupid to put Lidl and Tesco in the same place. What ever happened to it going down where South used to be?

Are the plans available for viewing anywhere in the town? Tank field or the library, maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

In the CornField there is a tesco and an aldi planned i thought?

Also the new school is going in there, they have the site bought and all i think.

As for the railway station, here's hoping its kept simple and blends in mainly.

Good times ahead for tramore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Also the new school is going in there, they have the site bought and all i think.

Yeah it's about time Tramore got a few more shops! I don't get home that much but when I do things don't seem to change very much in the town, apart from another field full of houses slapped up here and there :(

Minto wrote: »
    TBH, I think it's kind of stupid to put Lidl and Tesco in the same place. What ever happened to it going down where South used to be?

Are the plans available for viewing anywhere in the town? Tank field or the library, maybe?

Lidl tried nearly everywhere but the council kept saying no. In the end it moved in with Tesco on the cornfield. Dont personally see a problem with it, makes it more centralised. Its two completely different type of store attracting two different markets.

Plans are (or at least were) available in Waterford somewhere. Cant recall where the office for it is.

Tesco is, it remains to be seen if Lidl will.. planning has yet to be accepted.

The school has the land, but as usual the government are ignoring us. They cant build until the nod is given, and it aint

Lidi did get permission to be built, even tho is was only conditional.

http://eplan.waterfordcoco.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=06982

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Hopefully the new supermarkets will provide some much needed competition - SuperValu needs a major kick in the arse!!

sm123_irl wrote: »
    Lidi did get permission to be built, even tho is was only conditional.

http://eplan.waterfordcoco.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=06982

If I read that correctly, the conditions were set in July/August. However, the News & Star said a decision was due sometime in the last week or so?

The hotel \ hostel that was planned next to Lido had its planning permission turned down, Dunnes will be going where South \ CeltWorld was and that go the go ahead at the same time as the Tesco \ Lidi complex.

The development beside Lido has been resubmitted , reading it their seems to have been a number of objections from local residents. In two minds over it could be both good and bad for the town , there's an interesting report on shopping and consumers in Tramore. I don't really see what they've changed in the plans so one could take it that there was only a few flaws to correct and they may get PP then.

http://eplan.waterfordcoco.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=07817

Aldi had applied for permission but afaik, got rejected. They are working on another application afaik.

Also, there has been mention of some big development down around the end of Racecourse Road, the big green area by the roundabout at Sumerville. Similar complex to the one up by the ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is there anything else about a planned luxury hotel around Garraus? That is something I feel would add to the image and type of tourist to the town

Does Tramore really need all these new supermarkets? I agree that we need some more to bring competition to SuperValu, but if we have Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi and SuperValu? It can only be a good thing as regards choice for consumers and prices but realistically will they all stay open?

• Advertisement

but if we have Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi and SuperValu? It can only be a good thing as regards choice for consumers and prices but realistically will they all stay open?

I'm sure the German/Irish or Brit big boys are not intending on shutting down early, and they ain't out to fight each other too much so I can only assume that the market is there and will grow.ge

At this stage I myself do not feel that 90% of the Tramore tourists bring anything to the year round residents only misery, feel it's gone beyond the time we should ditch the chips and walzter image thats stuck like a bad smell over the years.
    Who exactly is proud or benefits from this, please no more hotels and their related effects

Sully wrote: »
    Aldi had applied for permission but afaik, got rejected. They are working on another application afaik.

Your wrong there Aldi got permission not sure when they are starting tho. The amusemant park has being sold or so i've being told for aprox 11 million so it will be there for another 4 years before it moves to its new site down where the dump was. So very soon we won't know Tramore at all and we call hopefully look forward to more companies opening up

Are you sure? I could of sworn I read in the News & Star that Lidl got the go ahead, but Aldi didnt. Guess im wrong, I dont know if I have a copy of the article or not.

Iv heard about the Amusment Park - tis part of the Tramore Development Plan. Probably be replaced with apartments or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

i am absolutly 1000000% sure that the ammusement park hasnt been sold. there were talks about selling the land about 10 months ago but it was only talks.
    but it will be sold eventually im sure for the right money

dont ask me why im that sure lol

ok paul I won't ask ya but lets just say I know a few people involved and they have said yes

Well your source for Aldi seems to have got it wrong.. according to the News & Star, January 18th! Could they have got the Amusements wrong to? I know the plan for it, but heard nothing about it being sold (yet).
    Aldi - the German owned international supermarket chain which was already refused planning permission for a store at Crobally, on the main Waterford/Tramore Road, has re-submitted an application. Further information has been sought on the application for 0.84 hectare site. To enable the construction of the discount foodstore as well as a car park and a number of apartments it is proposed to demolish the existing dwelling on the site.

It goes onto discuss other developments at that spot, which "planning permission will be submitted to the Co. Council shortly". (Waterford News & Star, January 18th, 2008)

Thats nearly 2 weeks old Sully so maybe things have changed in those 2 weeks so there is a good chance that i am right.

Thats nearly 2 weeks old Sully so maybe things have changed in those 2 weeks so there is a good chance that i am right.
    Iv never seen planning be so quick, it normally takes longer then 2 weeks to decide on an application!

And according to the Council, it has not been decided. Nor have they received information on it.

http://eplan.waterfordcoco.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=071576

Plus, there seems to be a few objections so id say it would take a while to go through the application. Guess we will have to wait and see! :)

Sully wrote: »
    Iv never seen planning be so quick, it normally takes longer then 2 weeks to decide on an application!

That website is never updated straight away and that application has being in since 17\10\07

• Advertisement

According the the Planning Dept. as soon as the information is received its scanned in - it should take no longer then 5 working days for the website to update. People have up to two weeks to make an observation on the information received and by law they (planning dept) have 4 weeks to decide.

Based on that, I would imagine the further information has yet to be received by the council or its just taking a bit longer then usual for the website to update. Either way, it would seem (based on what they said to me, and general common sense) the application has yet to be finalised.

Advertisement