Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development in Tramore

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

At the risk of coming across as a Brendan McCann, I see that the residential property beside the Ala Uddin Indian restaurant on Turkey road has been granted permission for yet another Takeaway.
    I would have thought (maybe I'm wrong) but the last thing that it needed was another dingy takeaway.
    So do the planning authority have any say what type of business a residential property changes to e.g strip club,night club or takeaway, or does it solely grant permission to commercial use. It's a real question if anyone knows?

http://eplan.waterfordcoco.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=07866

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Meh, it probably wont last long. I assume that's the same Paddy Early that used to run Londis? The one on Priests Road that never took of? Never liked that store for various reasons. I don't think he used to run it, I think he leased it out and no manager succeeded with the shop.

I hope thats true, but still theres now a property that can be sold with FPP for another sleazy chipper on what is a very main and symbolic street of our town, it's all about impressions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

That street is hardly symbolic. Its always been run-down. The few houses that are actually lived in are old but the rest is either derlicit, empty shop units, flats or takeaways. The spot where Charlie Strings was for a large period of time a whole. Freddies club was the only decent looking place.

But I wouldnt like to see another takeway there.

Just because the street has always been an eyesore does not mean unfortunately that it is not a symbol of the town.
    The fact is that it is the first view of the heart of the town that the vast majority of visitors get on driving in or through, so therefore a symbol of town.
    The fact that the remaining residential properties are "old" and part of the original town is all the more reason to preserve and restore.
    Remember this years quote in the lonely planet that "Tramore has more fast food restaurants per sq. mt. than"???

• Advertisement

Its hardly the first street of the town. Most tourists look more at the Majestic and the Promenade. They take little notice of that small stretch of road. My point is, its an eyesore and therefore tourists would have a negative view on it. Symbolic streets should be preserved that way - this street may be considered that, but it hardly is at the moment and a tourist wouldnt even consider it anything special. Though, thats just my opinion.

Its a seaside resort and we dont have an awful lot of fast food restaurants. Its what you expect in such a town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

that lonely planet quote is so stupid. i think they said the exact same thing in last year's edition.

just for the record:
    1. Tony's
    2. Welcome Chinese Takeaway
    3. The Sandcastle Shop
    4. Beach Grill
    5. Dooley's
    6. Lido's
    7. Milennium (formely Coney Island)
    8. Cunninghams
    9. Misty's
    10. Corner Kebab Shop (closed now i think)
    11. Alauddin (the Indian place on Turkey Road)

hardly a huge number for a seaside town.

Note: Sandcastle Shop and Mistys are open during the summer months only. Kebab Shop is closed but I assume for renovation. Each take away is spread out over the town center, and I dont think its a large number for the type of town we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sully wrote: »
    Note: Sandcastle Shop and Mistys are open during the summer months only. Kebab Shop is closed but I assume for renovation. Each take away is spread out over the town center, and I dont think its a large number for the type of town we are.
    I heard on Beat news the other day that the junction was closed for hygiene reasons by the health board, ill try find a link

Interesting. I just saw it covered up (the windows) and assumed it was under renovatioon. Never knew it was that bad..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

I heard on Beat news the other day that the junction was closed for hygiene reasons by the health board, ill try find a link
    oh my god i ate out of there a few months ago now im feeling sick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

They seem to be revamping the inside as well though. I passed there in a car last night and the window were the coke cooler usually is was not blocked in and it looked as if they've taken out the counter. So maybe they are using the time, to really change the place.

On a side note, does anyone know if Charlie's was open last night? I passed there at about 10 past 2 and the place looked closed.

Does Charlies not close at 2 anyway?

From the Irish Times

Take-away shut down over food safety

A take-away restaurant in Waterford was ordered to shut down for breaches of food safety legislation that may have put the health of its customers in danger.

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) said two enforcement orders were served on food businesses in January for such breaches.

A closure order was served by environmental health officers on Junction House Take-Away, Strand Street, Tramore, Co Waterford.

An improvement order was also issued on Steering Wheel Public House on Main Street, Clondalkin, Dublin 22.

FSAI chief executive John O'Brien said the steps were necessary to protect consumers' health.

Dr O'Brien said most enforcement orders are "due to the same easily preventable faults". These include poor hygiene, inappropriate storage or inadequate refrigeration, inadequate cooking or re-heating, cross-contamination from raw to cooked foods, infected food handlers and inadequately trained or supervised staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

Charlies was open.
    redz is closed now till easter charlies took all its business
    its a shame really as redz is 100 miles a better club than that other kip
    but someone got greedy and charged at the door and the price of drink rocketed after midnight
    its one or the other but not both. we aint all fools
    leason learned now!!

i will never go into that juntion takeaway again
    it takes alot for a place to get shut down. they get random inspections and if they dont adhere to the rules they get a warning and then another inspection and so on
    so it must of been stink in there

Minto wrote: »
    They seem to be revamping the inside as well though. I passed there in a car last night and the window were the coke cooler usually is was not blocked in and it looked as if they've taken out the counter. So maybe they are using the time, to really change the place.

On a side note, does anyone know if Charlie's was open last night? I passed there at about 10 past 2 and the place looked closed.

2.10? I drove past at half past and the whole area was mobbed with people! Guards watching from the Junction as per usual. Looked like a busy night in Charlie's!
    paul666 wrote: »
    Charlies was open.
    redz is closed now till easter charlies took all its business
    its a shame really as redz is 100 miles a better club than that other kip
    but someone got greedy and charged at the door and the price of drink rocketed after midnight
    its one or the other but not both. we aint all fools
    leason learned now!!

People in Tramore I have spoken to preferred the Baldy Man, and hated the idea of up stairs being closed since Redz kicked in. Why it was decided to change, is beyond me. People wanted upstairs, and it was taken from them. Prices do go up after midnight, but to be fair most clubs have an enterance fee. Its closed until Paddys Day and I believe they are making MORE changes to Redz, something about having upstairs opened the odd time for bands etc. Might be worth something?

From what I hear, the whole Sands Complex business has dropped considerably. Bad management? Seems to be. The whole block seems to be doing poorly lately, and its under new management. Charlie's really put in good competition but rumour has it that place is possibly going to close up to!
    i will never go into that juntion takeaway again
    it takes alot for a place to get shut down. they get random inspections and if they dont adhere to the rules they get a warning and then another inspection and so on
    so it must of been stink in there

Used to be a very busy takeaway, a gold mine. Always called "Chernobyl Chipper" (never eaten in there) and now we know why!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Sully wrote: »
    2.10? I drove past at half past and the whole area was mobbed with people! Guards watching from the Junction as per usual. Looked like a busy night in Charlie's!

Are you talking about Saturday night? Cos, the place looked locked up tight on Friday night. Tonies was also closed very early on Friday night.
    paul666 wrote:
    Charged at the door and the price of drink rocketed after midnight

I work there and the prices don't change after 12. The charge on the door was too high when they reopened, but ages ago they were put back to the same price as The Baldy used to be.

Yea, it does, but you would expect people to be hanging around outside there and the doors would not be locked and the lights off by 10 past. Hell the DJ usually goes til 10 or 20 past.

Minto wrote: »
    Are you talking about Saturday night? Cos, the place looked locked up tight on Friday night. Tonies was also closed very early on Friday night.

Saturday night I was talking about. Friday was quiet, but around the same time. Tonys closes at 2AM on a Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭SameDifference

I went to Tramore on rugby tour. Everything was shut. Our tour song basically became a strange version of thats amore (thats tramore. It was about all the pubs being shut bar one)

Depends when you were where.. the town closes up in the winter. Some pubs open past midday, most restaurants open all day.. Take ways late afternoon..

• Advertisement
Advertisement