Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barna transport / food

Options
  • 07-11-2007 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

We'll be staying in theTwelve for a night over the new year. We were wondering what is the best way in and out of Galway city centre late at night. Would buses be available or how much is a taxi? Any advice would be appreciated. Also has anyone eaten in O'Grady's or the restaurant in the twelve - are they pricey?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You're looking at about 13-14 quid into town in a Taxi. Buses are so bad that they're not a real option.

I haven't been into the Twelve myself yet but I've heard it's good but pricey. O'Grady's is excellent. Bear in mind that 85% of the menu is fish so if you don't like fish don't bother. Mains are about 20 quid there so it isn't cheap either but it's worth it. Donnelly's is also worth considering as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

There's a taxi/hackney office 20 metres from the Twelve. As Robbo said, O'Grady's is the biz but you'd wanna love fish. Otherwise, Donnely's hits the spot. I had Sunday lunch in the Twelve bar and it was fine but I haven't eaten in their restaurant yet.

There's a lovely Italian* chipper called Morellis half way between the Twelve and the taxi office which does a top of the range battered sausage.

*the staff are all eastern European so there is nothing remotely Italian about the joint bar the name. Good deep fried experience though!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Go to the Italian restaurant behind Supervalu beside the kids shop. Quality food.

I haven't been in Barna in a while, so this stuff may have changed;

The taxi service is called West Coast Cabs (unless they changed name and location) and are located beside the laundrette beside the run-down statoil station. Generally their prices are as have been stated.

Avoid the chinese restaurant there. Thats all I shall say bout there. The fastfood place is kinda nice actually. Donnellys is great for atmosphere. O'Gradys is a sea-food restaurant, as has been stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

The Statoil station mentioned above has been knocked, but the taxi office is just past Morelli's etc...and the big empty space.

Food in the Pins was ok, not worth the yuppie prices imo, but ok.
    Donnelly's much better for food & atmosphere.

By the way, you'd probably get a city cab to come out to Barna for you if the local one is too busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Barna offers a good way in coffee for the yuppies and has the staples of the Irish village,pubs, shops and an optician.

Food: Morelli's offers good chips along with the usual fast food fare.But that's not for everyone.
    The Amber Oritental takeaway next door is pretty good too

either will do you if you get the munchies.

Barna also has some good seafood resteraunts down by the pier.

Other than that, it's boring as hell here in Barna, get to the city centre. More stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I would recommend Grady's on the pier in Barna, had a fantasic meal there last week and it wasn't pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

O' Gradys is excellent, there is also one in town Kirwans Lane, but its mainly a fish restaurant.

West in the twelve is brilliant as well. There is also an option to eat in the bar of the twelve which is also good.

Donnelly's is excellent simple as that!

Mulberys is very good as well, it kind of does everything from fish to pizza and is well priced.

Then if you just want a coffee or something there s arabica, they do a great panini!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jellyjeany

Thanks for all the info. Will probably try O'Gradys early enough and head into the city.

Advertisement