Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend DVD Recorder Please?

• 07-11-2007 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭

Have had a Philips DVDR610 for a while now. From Day 1, I have found it very user unfriendly. It's slow and the remote control is hardly legible.

Please recommend a simple to use recorder. It should have simple menu. backup (in case of power cut would be good to avoid having to reset time, date, etc. Also nice chunky remote with clearly legible buttons as my sight is not great.

Is DVD recorder still the way to go? I just have terrestrial (RTE & TV3). Or can you record onto other media? I don't have SKY or cable.

Just like an old Video recorder, I want to press abutton to record with no big hullaballo.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 thorfield

I too have a Philips, but one of the hard disk models (3300H). The hard disk model is the way to go. Like many other models with a HD, you record to the HD rather than the DVD Discs. You can archive to DVD Disc if you wish.

Some of the HD recorders also allow you to have a 'time-bar' which on my model is a buffer of about 6 hrs worth of viewing. When you turn on the recorder, it will essentially stream you input signal to this special buffer, you dont have to press any button, just the ON button. This feature allows you to pause live tv or to record what is been viewed without actualy storing it. A simple example is, you are having you dinner and yo want to see a program, simply turn on the DVD recored set the channel and leave. Come back and 'rewind' to the start of the program you want watch. And it is great for skipping over the ads.

I know what you mean about the philips remote, but most of the ones I looked at has similar remotes. There is just too many features on the remote hence the small buttons.

If you go for the HD model, you should go for a 250GB model.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

hi guys
    about the memory on the HD...is 250GB average or what?

For example what would yer typical 120 min film take up?

i was thinking of buying even just to record all the Sopranos episodes - which has just started from scratch every night at midnight on More 4 for everyone's info

it would practically pay for itself if i got most of the episodes - imagine what the box sets are gonna cost!

Advertisement