Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless network

Options
  • 07-11-2007 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

hello
    i have just got a wireless router and have been trying to connect laptop 2 it wirelessly.(it connected last night but then went dead) and wont connect since i have changed some settings but the laptop says it is connected to router but i cannot acces the internet. i have a sheet the router provider gave me with its configured details and wep key. i thing its the settings on laptop that are messed up i dont know anything about ip addresses but if i were told what to type in where i could do that
    can anyone help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

hello
    i have just got a wireless router and have been trying to connect laptop 2 it wirelessly.(it connected last night but then went dead) and wont connect since i have changed some settings but the laptop says it is connected to router but i cannot acces the internet. i have a sheet the router provider gave me with its configured details and wep key. i thing its the settings on laptop that are messed up i dont know anything about ip addresses but if i were told what to type in where i could do that
    can anyone help
    Reset the router. If you do not know how to do that then post the router make and model number. It seems to me that either the router is not connected to the internet or that dhcp is disabled on it but they are just guesses unless you give more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

don't mean to intrude on Runs thread, but I'm kind of having the same problem, the internet connection keeps cutting out on a daily basis, we reset it, it's fine for a while and maybe it'll go off again in a few hours. so whats the deal with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Just a simple test but in both cases, do you have internet access when connected from the laptop by cable to the router instead of wireless? If yes then problem is wireless related, if no then problem is router related.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 runforcover

axer thanks for the reply
    The router make is linksys and the model is wrtp54g-eu (voip wireless-g broadband router), if i use the ethernet cable from router to laptop internet will work. what is dhcp and how could you enable it

• Registered Users Posts: 32 runforcover

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Just a simple test but in both cases, do you have internet access when connected from the laptop by cable to the router instead of wireless? If yes then problem is wireless related, if no then problem is router related.
    if it is wireless related what can i do to get it to work or how do i check it
    all help appriciated

• Advertisement

if it is wireless related what can i do to get it to work or how do i check it
    all help appriciated

You'd need to log into the router with laptop or pc connected directly to it by network cable, then goto the wireless settings, and set up the wireless connection. It'll allow you to set the SSID, (the wireless name you see) and the wireless key, which is the password. Use the WPA option and put in a pass phrase like a string of words together like "boardsiswhereitalk". Use captials and numbers to make it more secure, then save the settings. With your laptop make sure the wireless connection is turned on then browse for available wireless netoworks, you should see the name you gave your wireless connection earlier, click on connect, enter the pass phrase you supplied earlier and that should be that.
    Thats fairly simplified but is the guts of it.
    PS if the router is on the default password or has no password change it to something you'll remember, again make it a strong password, ie, capitals, numbers, non dictionary word. I'm also presuming that you'r laptop wireless hardware functioning correctly and not faulty or damanged.

axer thanks for the reply
    The router make is linksys and the model is wrtp54g-eu (voip wireless-g broadband router), if i use the ethernet cable from router to laptop internet will work. what is dhcp and how could you enable it

DHCP allows the router to assign a network address to a machine thats connecting to it. it saves a lot of mainteance and hassle for network admins by automating the addressing of most machines on a network. If your internet is working when physically connected then the dhcp side of things is ok. I would suggest revisiting the wireless setup side of things.

Advertisement