Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summoned to court for no L plates and no license.....

• 07-11-2007 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Anyone have any idea what might happen to me? I was pulled in for speeding but they didnt have me clocked but i was in car with a full licensed driver but didnt have my own license or my L plates up because it was in my mums car. Do u reckon ill get a fine and penalty points or could I even have my license taken from me? Advice would be great because im really worried and my mum is real angry with me!

Cheers,

Shaky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

i'm confused. were you summoned for speeding or for no L plates and license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

www.unison.ie

Did not have 'L' plates [63%]

Mark Tyndall, 31 Kiladreenan, Newtownmountkennedy was fined €75 at Wicklow District Court for failing to dis play an L plates at Blainroe on January 15.- 13/10/2005, News

Had no L-plate [55%]

Provisional licence holder John Grehan, 1 Abbey Park, Arklow, was fined €100 at the local court last week for having no L-plate on his windscreen.- 11/04/2003, News

Provisional driver had no L plate [55%]

Provisional licence holder John Grehan, 1 Abbey Park, Arklow, was fined €100 at the local court last week for having no L-plate on his windscreen.- 11/04/2003, News

Had no 'L' plates [54%]

STEPHEN Flanagan, of Pallas East, Clonroche, was fined €100 at Wexford District Court on Monday for failing to have an 'L' plate displayed on his car at Coolteen, Barntown, on Apri- 26/01/2006, News

Man drove without 'L' plates [54%]

Brendan Quinn, 14 Cloney Park, Davidstown, Enniscorthy was fined €200 at Wicklow District Court for driving without L plates at Blainroe, Wicklow on January 15.- 13/10/2005, News

No L-plates on car [54%]

Failing to display L-plates earned a learner driver a €70 fine at Gorey District Court on Friday.- 03/11/2005, News

Man drove without 'L' plates [54%]

Brendan Quinn, 14 Cloney Park, Davidstown, Enniscorthy was fined €200 at Wicklow District Court for driving without L plates at Blainroe, Wicklow on January 15.- 13/10/2005, News

No L-plates on car [54%]

Failing to display L-plates earned a learner driver a €70 fine at Gorey District Court on Friday.- 03/11/2005, News

Had no L-plates [54%]

A €200 fine was handed down to a Taghmon motorist on Monday for driving on a provisional licence without displaying L-plates.- 06/10/2005, News

No 'L' plates on car [51%]

A provisionally licensed driver who hadn't L plates displayed on his car, was fined at Gorey District Court last week.- 01/08/2007, News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anyone have any idea what might happen to me? I was pulled in for speeding but they didnt have me clocked but i was in car with a full licensed driver but didnt have my own license or my L plates up because it was in my mums car. Do u reckon ill get a fine and penalty points or could I even have my license taken from me? Advice would be great because im really worried and my mum is real angry with me!

Cheers,

Shaky

Fine for no L-plates: 1000 euro.

I don't think they've introduced penalty points for not having your license with you yet. Did they ask you to produce your license at a Garda station?

Also, I don't think they need to have you clocked to give you points for speeding. Subjective opinion from a Garda is enough afaik. Obviously you would have to have been tearing along for him/her to pull you based on an opinion of your speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dubambman

Their was a garda out at the back of the 13th hole at blainroe golf club with a speed camera last week, that road people usually do 120Kph (okay, me included). Do the funny thing is, he was on a bloody pushbike. Fair auld journey out from the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shakyfingerz

I was going 30 km/h over the limit on the N11 where almost everyone speeds as the speed limit is 50 km/h. They cant prosecute you if they havent clocked you, thats the opinion of the majority of people i've spoken to. Also where does this idea of a 1000 euro fine for no "L" plates come in to place, this other guy says it between 75 and 200 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

They cant prosecute you if they havent clocked you, thats the opinion of the majority of people i've spoken to.

They can certainly bring you to court, then it's up to the judge to accept or reject their evidence.

Also where does this idea of a 1000 euro fine for no "L" plates come in to place, this other guy says it between 75 and 200 euro.

You must have been living under a rock the past few weeks. They've introduced new fines for provisional license drivers. €1,000 for not displaying L-plates and €1,000 for driving without an accompanying driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Are you insured on your mothers car? I have my own car but cos i've a prov licence i'm not insured to drive anyone elses car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 xxbevelsxx

Stark wrote: »
    You must have been living under a rock the past few weeks. They've introduced new fines for provisional license drivers. €1,000 for not displaying L-plates and €1,000 for driving without an accompanying driver.

I think its a max of €1000 and thats not in yet, i think thats in wen new law is in in few months.. dont quote me tho!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

100 euro for expired licence 4 months ago in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Fine for no L-plates: 1000 euro.

If and when they start enforcing that, I can't wait for the first outraged "cool kid" who complains that he had a red L up, front and back, but got done for having cut the white border away.

xxbevelsxx wrote: »
    I think its a max of €1000 and thats not in yet, i think thats in wen new law is in in few months.. dont quote me tho!

They postponed enforcement of the accompanied rule for second provisional license holders. The law itself came in at the end of October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

They cant prosecute you if they havent clocked you, thats the opinion of the majority of people i've spoken to.

Don't think the garda would need evidence of your exact speed to
    charge you with reckless or dangerous driving. You might have more
    than a speeding ticket to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I think its max €1,000 - Id be very surpised if someone was fined 1k just for no L plates. Prob the usual €100 - €200.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Isnt €1,000 on conviction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Max of €1000 on conviction. No way would you get a €1000 fine on a first offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

They cant prosecute you if they havent clocked you
    Dunno about that. For instance, if they're doing 100km/h+ in an unmarked car and you overtake them, there's not much reasonable doubt left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Dunno about that. For instance, if they're doing 100km/h+ in an unmarked car and you overtake them, there's not much reasonable doubt left.
    They shouldnt be doing 100+ either though, unless they are on the way to an emergency call / chasing a suspect

If they are I don't see why they would bother stopping a speeding driver

They shouldnt be doing 100+ either though, unless they are on the way to an emergency call / chasing a suspect

Or on a road with a 100+ speed limit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement