Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy RTE

• 07-11-2007 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭

Does anyone think good aul Eamo knows his stuff?

Watching him tonight I think his Spanish football knowledge might be limited to watching Sky Sports on a Sunday after a few pints over dinner.

Talking about Barca and Sevilla tonight his comments seem to be just related to the last matched they played, overall he gives a good balance and I still like to see him but I don't think he's technically accurate a good bit of the time.

What he lacks in technical knowledge he makes up for though in some parts of his analysis though and always has an opinion whether right or wrong though.

Met him on the street before and he was a funny guy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

there's like multiple threads on him already... I watch him for the entertainment value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

An amature compared to Andy Townsend

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He's great value.

Talks nonsense about rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nobody watches this guy for his technical insight, its all about the inane ramblings and absolute codswallop that he talks.

A bit like me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    An amature compared to Andy Townsend

Mike.

Who in turn is no Ray Houghton.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Stekelly wrote: »
    Who in turn is no Ray Houghton.

Who, in turn, is no Kenny Cunningham. Eh... possibly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sevilla beat madrid 2-0 and barca beat betis 3-0 in their last matches.

Sevilla were powerful and well up for it vs real, they ****ing destroyed them 2-0 was a bit of a blip. Real were good on the break but really Sevilla were just too good and should have scored more.

Barca beat a flat back 10 3-0 and tbh it was a laboured game henry could have had 4 before half time but didnt seem to be on the same wavelenght as the Ronnie Messi and Xavi (Iniesta gets Henry he knows how to play him the ball and Henry nearly looked like Arsenal Henry when he played him the ball quicky and onto his preferred foot).

I got that from watching both games.

Dunphy is clueless, he is on tv as he says something controverial, for all his Ronaldo abuse he never abuses Crouch or Gerrard for playing a long ball when a simple pass is more useful and more champions league-esque.

Dont watch him tbh but do think Giles and Brady know their **** having done it as a player.

Still rate him higher than jamie as pundit tho, you cannot get any worse than jamie " they all great"

kdjac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

dunphy made me laugh talking about barca's kaka toure... umm think its yaya eamo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Keith186 wrote: »
    Met him on the street before and he was a funny guy.
    That's the reason he isn't absolutely despised. He'd be great craic over a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Have to agree to all the stuff, he's not accurate when it comes down to important stuff but he has a good/bad/interesting comment most times and certainly more insightful than Jamie 'Sideways' Redknapp and Kenny C.

If only Pat Dolan could carry it off, he has the controversy but you could say he has the 'touch of a rapist' if he was a footballer but he's a pundit now! I need some analagy for pundits...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Who, in turn, is no Kenny Cunningham. Eh... possibly so.

As soon as I thnik I see the silhouette of kenny cunningham appear in the dimly-lit studio at the beginning of the premiership I turn over.

Everything about him would scream "boring" but screaming implies the ability to change tone.

As soon as I thnik I see the silhouette of kenny cunningham appear in the dimly-lit studio at the beginning of the premiership I turn over.

Everything about him would scream "boring" but screaming implies the ability to change tone.

It's a god thing there's no such apparent thing as the Setanta curse yet as there is with Ireland/TV3 but maybe Kenny or John Toshack (turkish for bollix!) has appeared yet.

I kinda blamed that curse on lacklustre 1980's Soviet Union type coverage theme, it's so dire. Don't know how it affects players but it just does voodoo style or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Eamonn Dunphy is the Paris Hilton of punditry

Jazzy wrote: »
    Eamonn Dunphy is the Paris Hilton of punditry

Yeah he's gorgeous and he goes to all the parties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Dunphy: Competitive sports like tennis,....

Wait, isnt that the sport where some Swiss guy tends to beat everyone in all the major tournaments, and at least generally reaches the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

i think its hilarious how daily and before and after the match he changes his opinion drastically. Like before the Liverpool match Tuesday none of Rafa benitez signings would make the Chelsea, man u or arsenal teams...yet after Arsenal game last night the reason they might fail this season is because they don't have a great striker like Torres or Drogba.

But saying to souness and giles that the tackle on Celtic's Brown was disgusting even by the standards of what they used to do on the pitch (or something like that!) was classic Dunphy and why hes kept on TV ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

But saying to souness and giles that the tackle on Celtic's Brown was disgusting even by the standards of what they used to do on the pitch (or something like that!) was classic Dunphy and why hes kept on TV ...

I also liked the little dig between Souness and Giles

Giles: "Those tackles were usually retaliation"
    Souness: "But you usually got your retaliation in first John"

great stuff

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Jamie c-un-ting redknapp. I hate him. Everyone is world class. When he came out with this one i threw something at the tv.

"even playin in the back garden with my cousin fwrankie lamps i knew he was world class"

**** off you knob end.

I do know the thread is about Eamo, but kdjacl made a jamie comment and i saw red.

Eamo is grand, only works in conjunction with the other2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

lordgoat wrote: »
    Jamie c-un-ting redknapp. I hate him. Everyone is world class.
    I totally agree, I cannot stand his 'happy go lucky' attitude to every club/player/manager
    Someone will say somethin like 'the defence was awful' and then he will retort with 'but the attack was great' etc etc, he never criticises anyone

Also Pat Dolan makes my blood boil with his waistcoat and his stupid comments
    he gave out about Rangers last night because they were not attacking enough at the camp nou against barcelona, i mean wtf ! of course you are goin to be cautious against messi et al.
    What did he do ?? Eat pies all the time and watch tv ?? because it certainly looks and sounds that way

Keith186 wrote: »
    Yeah he's gorgeous and he goes to all the parties!

its more the comparison that paris hilton shouldnt be a celebrity but is, and dunphy shouldnt be a pundit but is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Theres no comparison between Sky and RTEs coverage. You can watch Sky if you want more long periods of silence than commentry and "analysts" over-hyping everthing, or you can watch RTE who actually talk about the football and are not afraid to voice there opinions.

for those that hate redknapp, they really need to see Icon Magazine - the discerning mag for any pro footballer.
    hes a right feckin eedjit alright, i avoid him where at all possible.

at the same time... Dunphy is a proven sh1te talker when it comes to football, but he gets away with it cos hes funny. never mind the fact that we pay his wages and watnot, but he would be much more suited to something like "The Panel" then actual football commentary where all he is trying to do is come up with controversial statement after controversial statement. sorry eamon, but its pretty much common knowledge that Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the best players on the planet.
    he has his fans though who will blindly say how hes right and "just telling the truth". if they did any research into dunphy's "truth" though, they might be a little disappointed...

pd101 wrote: »
    or you can watch RTE who actually talk about the football and are not afraid to voice there opinions.
    And for some strange reason they don't disagree on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Spanish league table as of 8 November

Pos-Team-Points
    1-Real Madrid-25
    2-FC Barcelona-24
    3-Villarreal-24
    4-Valencia-21
    5-Club Atlético de Madrid-20
    6-RCD Espanyol-19
    7-Real Zaragoza-17
    8-Real Racing Club Santander-17
    9-RCD Mallorca-16
    10-Sevilla FC-15
    11-Real Murcia-13
    12-Athletic Club Bilbao-13
    13-CA Osasuna-12
    14-RC Deportivo La Coruña-12
    15-Getafe-11
    16-UD Almería-11
    17-Real Valladolid-10
    18-RC Recreativo de Huelva-9
    19-Real Betis-8
    20-Levante-4

Yep Eamon, Sevilla are by far the best club in Spain. Which may explain why they're already 10 points off Real Madrid and 9 behind Barcelona after eleven games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

He might know his stuff but to say that he "doesn't rate Christino Ronaldo" makes me wonder what he's on!

Can't stand Ray Houghtan!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Eamo is a legend ... gotta love his comment last night that the second half would be more entertaining, so as to stop people switching over!!

In relation to his stance on Ronaldo, I'd agree with him some of the time. Last night, except for his pass to put Rooney through on goal and his own goal, he did nothing but showboat & give the ball away! He's a naturally gifted player, but should stop the stepovers et. al, because it lets down the best parts of his game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

We should all be well used to Dunph by now, in two weeks he'll proclaim Sevilla a shower of Donkeys and tip barca for the champions League, he's hot and cold on teams every 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

LoneGunM@n wrote: »
    In relation to his stance on Ronaldo, I'd agree with him some of the time. Last night, except for his pass to put Rooney through on goal and his own goal, he did nothing but showboat & give the ball away! He's a naturally gifted player, but should stop the stepovers et. al, because it lets down the best parts of his game!

Fair enough.
    He should be critical though and not say that "he doesn't rate him".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Spanish league table as of 8 November

Pos-Team-Points
    1-Real Madrid-25
    2-FC Barcelona-24
    3-Villarreal-24
    4-Valencia-21
    5-Club Atlético de Madrid-20
    6-RCD Espanyol-19
    7-Real Zaragoza-17
    8-Real Racing Club Santander-17
    9-RCD Mallorca-16
    10-Sevilla FC-15
    11-Real Murcia-13
    12-Athletic Club Bilbao-13
    13-CA Osasuna-12
    14-RC Deportivo La Coruña-12
    15-Getafe-11
    16-UD Almería-11
    17-Real Valladolid-10
    18-RC Recreativo de Huelva-9
    19-Real Betis-8
    20-Levante-4

Yep Eamon, Sevilla are by far the best club in Spain. Which may explain why they're already 10 points off Real Madrid and 9 behind Barcelona after eleven games.

There were some very extenuating circumstances though. Anyway, everyone knows Barça are the best team in Spain and once they get Eto'o and Deco back they'll pull ouy in front with La Liga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

DerKaiser wrote: »
    We should all be well used to Dunph by now, in two weeks he'll proclaim Sevilla a shower of Donkeys and tip barca for the champions League, he's hot and cold on teams every 2 weeks
    agreed
    yeah and will toast benitez as a tactical genius if liverpool go through....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Who said that Brady and Giles know there stuff?

Brady cant say anything positive about Man Utd as he is Arsenal through and through so his knowledge is biased.

Giles knowledge outside English football is non existent!

Dunphy is a " sensationalist" looking for the headline always, in fairness it keeps him in a job so cant blame him.

His knowledge aint bad but his views are terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dunphy is fairly right about Ronaldo. He could be one of the best players in the world (after the great Messi of course), but he spends half his time messing around with stepovers and the other half on his hair. He is frighteningly talented though and has improved so much in the last 18 months. I'm amazed Ferguson hasn't cut more of the crap out of his game.

Dunphy is the most entertaining person on telly bar none, though most things he says need to be taken with generous pinch of salt.

Who said that Brady and Giles know there stuff?
    Giles is the most overrated pundit in Ireland. There's a reason I mentioned earlier that I find it strange that they never disagree. Giles just agrees with whatever Dunphy says.

Dunphy is fairly right about Ronaldo.

nope hes not, he just likes picking on him and RTE seems to go along with it.
    I seem to recall a certain series of clips showing all his mistakes vs. AC Milan last season, apparantly we would all rather watch that then clips of Kaka's brilliance.
    Hes had it in for him because he doesnt like the person and the type of player he is, the fact is that cristina ronaldo is currently rated in the top 3 best players in the world (Messi & Kaka being the other 2) and if Dunphys attitude is that of "well, he isnt as good as Kaka so lets show u how crap he is" then hes just plain wrong. okay he isnt the best player in the world... but there can only be one of those now cant there? and Kaka is rather good...
    He just knows he will get a rise out of Utd fans by speaking that garbage cos when it comes down to it.. hes actually crap at analysing the match in front of his eyes and therefore poor at his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

My opinion is that the RTE pundits are bad but... there the best around when you compare them to Sky, Itv, BBC. Although I like Desailly & Gullit they have a good knoweldge of European football & are more out-spoken then the rest of the clowns they sit beside.

Dunphy is a funny man. I think his knowledge is limited he seems to watch spanish football when he's drunk. I'd agree when there at there best Sevilla are the best side in Spain they did have problems after the death of Puetra but have had some good displays of late. Keita looks like a top player I'm not sure where they got him from.

Brady pretends to know whats going on in Italy but clearly dosent have clue & just uses big words to try & sound clever. He looks like someone out of a gangster film when he's wearing that big coat of his.

Giles keeps it Old Skool he still seems think its 1970.

And I really hope the person who said Andy Townsend was good was joking.

As far as Ronaldo goes he's nothing special. As far as the best player in the world goes he's not even the best winger. Jesus Navas & Ben Arfa are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Love the way everyone is on Ronaldo for having bad games in the last two matches, goal and an assist in each, if he has bad games like that every week Ill be a happy man.

Houghton was so annoying in the commentary last night it was just comical, trash a team 4 nil and still nothing but negative comments, yes we could have won by 9 but the game was won by half time so of course the players are going to relax with a difficult game this weekend.

As for the Dunph, I think himself and Giles were so critical of Ronaldo at the start of his Utd carreer that they are allmost embarrased to backtrack now and say "um actually he is a world beater these days". Still by far the best pundit team on tv though, if you get an episode like the blowup over Keane once every five seasons its got to be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Lmao@ at Redknaps magazine sh!te.

Lampard Interview...

'As I sat by the window in Scalini, our family's favourite restaurant, Frank strolled in looking every inch the footballing icon he is. Even though he looked immaculate in his sharp tailored suit, it was his beaming smile that instantly caught the eye. That afternoon's lunch was different from any of those we've had before and despite our close relationship, I even felt a little bit nervous.'

WTF?

tdv wrote: »

'As I sat by the window in Scalini, our family's favourite restaurant, Frank strolled in looking every inch the footballing icon he is. Even though he looked immaculate in his sharp tailored suit, it was his beaming smile that instantly caught the eye. That afternoon's lunch was different from any of those we've had before and despite our close relationship, I even felt a little bit nervous.'

yeah!
    its comedy gold! :D

the galleries are quite a larf aswell, the drogba one is just weird.
    god bless jamie redknapp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

tbh, if Dunphy wasn't there, they wouldn't have anything to talk about come Champions League night. Brady knows a bit, but Giles hasn't a clue. Without Dunphy throwing out the sensationalist statements, there'd be Brady waffling about Arsenal, and Giles looking like a deer trapped in the headlights of an onrushing 4x4. I'd watch Redknapp over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Some more dunphy clips for ye:

To Bill: "Would ya let me ask the bloody question?!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qtBA-i13Mw

Again towards Bill:"Football is full of fools Bill!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGiQjCksu3U

Liam Brady looks decidedly awkward throughout the whole conversation on the new ireland manager in it.

Just thought I'd share this as another example of the entertainment value Eammo provides. Doesn't make sense a whole lot of the time (his argument for headhunters in the above clip is pretty farcical), but he just adds to the show an element that is missing with other bland punditry on SS,BBC & ITV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

tdv wrote: »
    Lmao@ at Redknaps magazine sh!te.

Lampard Interview...

WTF?

Seriously has anyone got the whole thing. It's ****ing comedy gold. Someone post a link to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

[17-Real Valladolid-10

There was something quite funny about how he stumbled over the pronounciation of this team the other night :) Or when he starts waffling about Jewventus. As people were saying, he watches the odd decent La Liga match when hes pissed and comes to the conclusion 10th placed teams are gods own dream squad. He is often right, he is often bafflingly bizarre, and he is occasionally half locked, but its entertaining to watch :)

Agree with his mind changing. The other night he was waxing lyrical about how Fergie is in the process of building what will be looked back on as his 3rd great United team (although im fairly sure Ronaldo was never mentioned :D ). A few weeks back he was writing them off, comparing their young players and their lack of drive/commitment to that of Arsenal. He contradicts himself half the time :D

Still, the man is a legend. I was very disappointed after a work do in Renards one Friday about a year back that i hadnt ran into him for an oul chat and a photo when their pair of us would be mindless drunk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

His book at his time at Milwall is phenomenal.

Advertisement