Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Operating Systems running @ once :p

• 08-11-2007 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Check out my vid:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNEL3YSHh0

Can hardly believe this was possible myself. Crazy $hit this virtualbox. My e-penis has just got bigger :p

Linux FTW :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

vmware ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You should check out KVM (it's the kernel level virtualisation for linux) as it supports virtualisation in hardware. *purr* Support in the kernel that comes with the latest ubuntu should be good.

With my quad core and kvm, I'd fully expect to be able to comfortably run the host OS and 3 virtual boxes without any trouble. :)

All this wizzadry is making me want to run linux. But what is the performance like in say ubuntu with kvm with vista and xp. Will i notice a big hit in performance when playing games ?

Atm, RDP does me fine. And im not limited to 2 os'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Anti wrote: »
    All this wizzadry is making me want to run linux. But what is the performance like in say ubuntu with kvm with vista and xp. Will i notice a big hit in performance when playing games ?

Atm, RDP does me fine. And im not limited to 2 os'

Do you mean running ubuntu as the host OS and vista/xp as virtual guests? If so good luck getting 3D to run decently, you'd have no hardware acceleration!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What's wine like these days? Always wanted try out Linux but...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You'll not be able to play games on a virtual OS. Its fully functional, but not powerful enough for games. Thats why i've got dual boot Vista & Ubuntu, just for dx10 games (when i get dx10 gpu).

Honestly, I'm only running Ubuntu for 3 weeks, but i'm completely amazed by it. There's no goin back. It detests me to boot to Vista, as soon as i do, everything tries 2 update together & drives me mad. I honestly didn't realise how fast my system is until i tried it, it idles using 127Mb ram without the visual effects & 3d Desktop etc, 320Mb with Compiz-fusion(3D Cube Desktop), Awn(Applet Manager) Amarok (music plater) etc.

Few reasons why you should change:
    -Windows is insecure & new security holes are found every day. Thousand new m$ viruses a month.
    -Linux doesn't need anti-virus progs cos there are virtually no viruses. Been less than 100 viruses ever, but they were quickly patched.
    -Windows hogs your machine & it will slow down the more software you add.
    -Linux allows you take complete control of every aspect of your pc.
    -Linux doesn't crash & when a prog crashes it doesn't bring down the os with it. -You never need to reboot, even after a crash or adding new software.
    -Its compatible & completely usable with really old hardware.
    -Drivers & software update themselves.
    -Regular free updates, new versions every 6 months which are legal to fileshare.
    -The linux forums are very helpful, especially to noobs.
    -Its completely free :)

BTW, I've got a Win 98 disk ere 2 ;)
    Only using 23% of processor speed idling with Vista & Xp in virtualbox but the screen capture utility eats my cpu speed when i'm recording the vids.

HavoK wrote: »
    What's wine like these days? Always wanted try out Linux but...

Not used it much, but supposed to be way better in Gutsy from what i hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not used it much, but supposed to be way better in Gutsy from what i hear

lunix talk creeps me out:p

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Is it possible to run a VM inside a VM? im guessing no

Khannie wrote: »
    With my quad core and kvm, I'd fully expect to be able to comfortably run the host OS and 3 virtual boxes without any trouble. :)

:rolleyes: This, is just for U, cos ya reckon it could be done :eek: V suprised its not choppy but this time i set recordMyDesktop to save on other raptor & came out perfect. Crazy $hit :D Man these Quads are monsters

Gonna have a google of KVM like ya suggested.

• Advertisement

PMT: gg. :)
    But what is the performance like in say ubuntu with kvm with vista and xp. Will i notice a big hit in performance when playing games ?

Really, the goal is native linux gaming. All of the quake series and Unreal Tournament series run natively on linux. FPS is basically exactly the same as in windows. Nvidia graphics cards still far outperform ATI from what I understand, but ATI is really getting there.

For non-native / emulation....Usually all the popular games get wine support quickly (world of warcraft, CS:S, etc.). There are limitations though. No AA in CS:S for example.

I saw Direct3D support added to vmware, but I wouldn't even bother trying it tbh.
    conzymaher wrote: »
    Is it possible to run a VM inside a VM? im guessing no

Don't see why not tbh. Would be dog slow though.

PMT: gg. :)

Really, the goal is native linux gaming. All of the quake series and Unreal Tournament series run natively on linux. FPS is basically exactly the same as in windows. Nvidia graphics cards still far outperform ATI from what I understand, but ATI is really getting there.

For non-native / emulation....Usually all the popular games get wine support quickly (world of warcraft, CS:S, etc.). There are limitations though. No AA in CS:S for example.

I saw Direct3D support added to vmware, but I wouldn't even bother trying it tbh.

Don't see why not tbh. Would be dog slow though.

Ehh I'd hardly say all the popular games get proper wine support quickly, most won't really ever. You've got a bit more luck with opengl games, not that much though. Wine is kinda finicky, one release will work with x program and the next release will break support.

See, this is the problem i have with linux. One person will say its great and it supports this and that. Then the next person will say it dosent really support it etc etc.

Honestly, the only things that i have that are not supported in linux are my X-fi & webcam, both creative products. Not suprised @ this @ all as creatives windows driver support is dismal anyway. There's a linux driver for the x-fi, but its for 64bit Ubuntu & I don't feel like reinstallin again. My onboard sound works fine in Ubuntu, I just use 2 channel output & I use the X-fi in Vista for true 5.1 for gaming. Webcam not bother me either as i only use it 2 vid call my sis every 2 weeks. Everything else worked straight away, bluetooth dongle, printer, usb hub, usb cordless mouse (even pop up to say when bat low), multimedia keyboard (had to set media & shortcut keys manually) & even the wifi on mobo works. So I'm happy :D

See, this is the problem i have with linux. One person will say its great and it supports this and that. Then the next person will say it dosent really support it etc etc.

You kinda have to get over it not supporting windows software, use open source alternatives where possible many are even better than commercial windows software. But for some stuff like cad your going to need windows, there's just not a big enough linux workstation market for them to release the stuff for it... yet.

For hardware nearly everything is supported these days, well all the main stuff anyway. If it isn't its the manufacturers fault for not releasing the docs for the hardware, there's plenty of people willing to write drivers out there. Take for example the open source ati 3d drivers - with only about 70% of the documentation they need they've written a driver that outperforms the closed ati one.

Don't expect every game to run in linux. It just wont. This is linux's greatest drawback. It's not an issue for me since I'm a UT man and don't have time to play all those other FPS's.

Some games that work in linux:
    Unreal Tournament (all versions, native)
    Quake (all versions, native) and all other id software games.
    World of warcraft (wine)
    HL2 and derivatives (wine)
    Warsow (native)
    BSG: Beyond the red line (native)

If you're that curious...give it a whirl. All you do is f*ck around with computers all day anyway. :P

All you do is f*ck around with computers all day anyway. :P

ROFL @ that :D

TonyM. wrote: »
    I ordered the disc cost me 1p on e-bay and £2.50 delivery.

[URL="http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/10/
    two-souped-mobos-asus-p5k3"]http://www.theinquirer.net/gb
    /inquirer/news/2007/11/10/two-souped-mobos-asus-p5k3[/URL]

:rolleyes: wha? Your link is dead m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Now you just need to add OS X :)

• Advertisement

Now you just need to add OS X :)

:rolleyes: Rushes 2 check the warez sites :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

:rolleyes: Rushes 2 check the warez sites :D

love this thread. and love the 2 - 3 operating systems at once.
    im looking at switching to linux soon, as im very hating windows right now.

ive got a dell xps 1710, but will i get the drivers for all my hardware?
    games i play are css, hl2, cod and a few other's.
    nothing huge really.

so... for best over all performance, what should i go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

Well seeing as all extreme overclockers and benchers/gamers run OSX....oh wait.. They, um, don't... Forget it, use windows.

Bigchrome wrote: »
    Well seeing as all extreme overclockers and benchers/gamers run OSX....oh wait.. They, um, don't... Forget it, use windows.

:rolleyes: Its linux, not OSX. I'm an extreme overclocker & a gamer also, so why you tell him "forget it, use windows". Shows how little u really know.

I have Vista dual boot, its vista i use for my oc'in, but for my day to day stuff, surfin, music, dvd rips etc I much prefer linux. Boots quicker, doesn't hog my system, no av scans, no spyware worries & mostly its not m$ & all software is completely free :D

RoyalMarineComm, to answer your question, setup a dual boot, create a 30Gb partion for Ubuntu (or whatever distro u choose). Use windows for gaming for best performance as virtualboxed windows will not handle gaming. Some older games are native to linux tho, (Quake & CS & a few others).

You dont need drivers for linux, it will pick up almost everything by default, others might just need tweaking. My X-fi wont work, but this is down to Creative not releasing the driver, not the os (then again it doesn't run very well on Vista either). There are also new updates released everyday, and a complete new os released every 6months (not every 5yrs & unfinished & buggy like m$).

Good luck m8

Pog

BTW, I've convinced 3 mates move 2 linux, 2 of them have abandoned Windows, other just uses windows for autocad & photoshop, until he learns how to virtualise it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Check out my vid:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNEL3YSHh0

Can hardly believe this was possible myself. Crazy $hit this virtualbox. My e-penis has just got bigger :p

Linux FTW :)

pretty cool man

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

:rolleyes: Its linux, not OSX. I'm an extreme overclocker & a gamer also, so why you tell him "forget it, use windows". Shows how little u really know.

I have Vista dual boot, its vista i use for my oc'in, but for my day to day stuff, surfin, music, dvd rips etc I much prefer linux. Boots quicker, doesn't hog my system, no av scans, no spyware worries & mostly its not m$ & all software is completely free :D

RoyalMarineComm, to answer your question, setup a dual boot, create a 30Gb partion for Ubuntu (or whatever distro u choose). Use windows for gaming for best performance as virtualboxed windows will not handle gaming. Some older games are native to linux tho, (Quake & CS & a few others).

You dont need drivers for linux, it will pick up almost everything by default, others might just need tweaking. My X-fi wont work, but this is down to Creative not releasing the driver, not the os (then again it doesn't run very well on Vista either). There are also new updates released everyday, and a complete new os released every 6months (not every 5yrs & unfinished & buggy like m$).

Good luck m8

Pog

BTW, I've convinced 3 mates move 2 linux, 2 of them have abandoned Windows, other just uses windows for autocad & photoshop, until he learns how to virtualise it :p

You use Vista for OCing....****ing says it all RIGHT there...

I was talking about Soupercomputer's comment to get OSX....I don't think I'm quite bad enough to mistake a 5 letter word for a 3 letter acronynm.

I set up Ubantu on my old Opteron rig, the instalation was easy but trying to install drivers is a nightmare its Windows 95 time again .

Can i network this thing to XP PRO.?

TonyM. wrote: »
    I set up Ubantu on my old Opteron rig, the instalation was easy but trying to install drivers is a nightmare its Windows 95 time again .

Can i network this thing to XP PRO.?

Yeah, you'll need samba though..

nibble wrote: »
    Yeah, you'll need samba though..

Do i have to learn Klingon too .

Debian ,Suse,kernel module .Gnome,Hoary,Kde,apt-get,

• Advertisement

Bigchrome wrote: »
    You use Vista for OCing....****ing says it all RIGHT there...

:rolleyes: Point being, You've no need for an oc in linux, it flies & will run on a Pentium 3 or less, like 2 see you tryin 2 run Vista or even Xp on one :D

TonyM:
    sudo apt-get install samba
    Easy as that, your shared folders on your network will show up then.

Also look in2 secure shell

Advertisement