Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Operating Systems running @ once :p

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Bigchrome wrote: »
    Well seeing as all extreme overclockers and benchers/gamers run OSX....oh wait.. They, um, don't... Forget it, use windows.

Meh, like Jobs said in '84 "times are a changin''. Certainly any hacker (in the correct sense, not the idiotic hyper-media sense) worth his/her salt has probably played with OS X at some stage. Maybe even some GEM, BEOS and BSD too. Otherwise one is just another Windoze lamer, hehe.
    Point being, You've no need for an oc in linux, it flies & will run on a Pentium 3 or less, like 2 see you tryin 2 run Vista or even Xp on one

Starting to sound a bit fanboyish there :D Theres no "need" for an overclock to run Windows either.

TonyM wrote:
    Can i network this thing to XP PRO.

Yup, like the guys said, SAMBA is the way to go. Setting it up is easy, securing is is another issue, but it should be fine on your LAN. Be forwarned that SAMBA doesnt support NTLDMv2 yet, and so Vista machines will either point blank refuse to connect or the performance will be pathetic without a registry change.

Configuring SAMBA is the fun part. Especially if you are new to linux, between getting the share rights, groups and privlidges to work along with your unix ones is the messy part.

If you want to cheat and not manually edit the smb.conf, you can use SWAT which is a web-based config tool.

SAMBA can also be setup as a domain controller for Windows machine with roaming profiles which is a cool project.

What hardware was giving you hassle BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Eh, I overclock and run linux. Q6600@3.0GHz. It's not all 1337, but it does me fine. There's also a facility with the nvidia drivers for overclocking my 8800GTS, but I haven't bothered yet tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Starting to sound a bit fanboyish there :D

Nah, have 4Gb Gskill pc2 8000 ram ordered & gettin 8800GTS as i cant play latest games with 256mb 7900GT. Will be usin Vista more often then. I just love messin about & oc'in. Its all knowlege at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

I seem to have it running OK for now but if Vista was the same price I would be going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

Ok, what's with everyone talking about vista here???:(
    The way I see it there are two OS choices for 32bit... XP and server 2003 and for 64bit....XP 64bit. NOTHING ELSE. Especially not vista:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Bigchrome wrote: »
    Ok, what's with everyone talking about vista here???:(
    The way I see it there are two OS choices for 32bit... XP and server 2003 and for 64bit....XP 64bit. NOTHING ELSE. Especially not vista:p

well half these people dont build there Urber pc's like ur slef and bench them 24/7.so vista is a luxury.

Advertisement