Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New drink drive limit law?

Options
  • 08-11-2007 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭

When is it law?
    How much is too much?

Can I have one bottle of beer? A half pint?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

no. if you're going to drive, don't bother drinking at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Who knows?

Some ministers might think they might be able to drive home after a few pints even though they aren't and others think they can but it doesn't often work like that.

Recent examples are in papers last summer and 'off duty garda in pedestrian fatal collision' after 5 pints but still under limit. May well have been ok to drive but from what I remember is pedestrian was lying in the middle of the road which I have to say is more unacceptable.

Point is some people can handle a few pints and others can't and it probably needs more mass enforcing as opposed to lower limits as I'm sure most people who are involved in drink driving accidents are well above the 80mg/p litre never mind 50mg/p litre.

Irish government have to be seen to be taking more responsibility because their own people won't.

Let's face it, some people can easily mange a few pints and a drive home and others can't and unfortunately they all get tarred with the same brush because there's too many accidents and too many people ltaking the piss, excuse the pun.

I don't condone drink driving but some (maybe few) people can do it 'responsibly and most people can't hence the need for strict laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

no. if you're going to drive, don't bother drinking at all.

According to this piece in the indo a couple of weeks back, just one drink could put you over the new limit. They should reduce the limit to zero and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cannot see this "one drink being alright" thing myself. How many people go into a bar just to have one drink? Very few I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

I drink a bottle of beer / half a pint rarely and drive approx once
    every 2 months at the end of a long week.
    - please dont generalise, not everyone is a piss head.

I just want to know am I legal with one bottle of beer really.
    Rant some where else and if you don’t know don’t patronise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

I think ppl would be surprised how much you can actually drink at the moment anyway. Friend of mine drank 3 pints of heineken (in space of around 90mins -> 2 hrs) in a pub and faced a random breath testing checkpoint a few hundred yards from the pub but passed it. The gardai knew he had been drinking but couldn't do anything about it as he was under the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

according to the RSA, its due to be implemented in the 3rd quarter of 2008... but with leagal wrangling etc etc.. it'll probably be 2010/2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

The limit is fine as it is, no need to change it. Its hard enough to go out to a restaurant and have a glass of wine as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I dunno. Why bother having one drink if you have to drive afterwards? I don't see the loss by substituting this one glass for a soft-drink or juice.

If your out for a nice meal and fancy a glass of wine or whatever, whats another few quid on a taxi in comparison to the restaurant bill (particularly in city centre and surrounding areas).

ciarsd wrote: »
    I dunno. Why bother having one drink if you have to drive afterwards? I don't see the loss by substituting this one glass for a soft-drink or juice.

If your out for a nice meal and fancy a glass of wine or whatever, whats another few quid on a taxi in comparison to the restaurant bill (particularly in city centre and surrounding areas).
    Because its nice to have a glass or two of wine with a meal. Why should I stop doing that if it doesn't effect my driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The current limit is fine it simply needs to be be policed, there's only so many idiots in the country who drink and drive. A 3 month full clampdown would take them all off the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Snarler wrote: »
    Because its nice to have a glass or two of wine with a meal. Why should I stop doing that if it doesn't effect my driving.
    I'd feel the effects of a glass or two of wine much more than i would a pint. Plus you'd probably be surprised what can effect your driving.

if you (and i'm speaking in general here) make the decision to have one glass, one pint, maybe two, then drive home and kill somebody on the way, you'll have to live with the fact that having a glass of water instead might have meant the difference between that person dying and living. even a fraction delay on hitting the brakes, or a slightly heavier right foot might make all the difference. it's not worth it, as far as i'm concerned.
    worded wrote:
    I just want to know am I legal with one bottle of beer really.
    Rant some where else and if you don’t know don’t patronise.

Don't ask a question if you don't want an answer.

if you're only going to have one pint, you're realistically not going to consciously feel the effect of the alcohol that you would after several. if that's the case, then the comfort and social factor of the drink is the reason you're drinking it. why not have a becks 0% instead or an erdinger alkoholfrei? it will make no real difference to you, but risking other people's safety by skirting with assumptions about your alcohol levels is irresponsible.

I'd feel the effects of a glass or two of wine much more than i would a pint.

mid-level beers have around 1.5 units, a glass of wine can have up to 3 depending on the portion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

My point exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

And you see there is the inherent issue with Irish drink drivers... Ah sure I'll just have a glass or two... three, four - sure I'm grand.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It does affect your driving, whether you feel it or not.

Actually it doesnt. I'm always well below the legal limit when I drive and I feel 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

And not having a good night sleep or a long day in the office affects your driving

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Actually it doesnt. I'm always well below the legal limit when I drive and I feel 100%.

Yes it does. http://alcoholism.about.com/od/dui/a/impaired.htm

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote: »

I do not agree with that study so it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

lol

Look up any study and they will give you the exact same results. You're not some super human with an immunity to alcohol, any amount of alcohol will affect your driving whether you can feel it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    The current limit is fine it simply needs to be be policed, there's only so many idiots in the country who drink and drive. A 3 month full clampdown would take them all off the road.

We have the second highest limit in Eurpoe and if you think its not being policed what about the people who know they are breaking the law and driving with drink taken, If this was policed for 3 months you can bet those who drink and drive would make different arrangements.

Snarler should have his license taken off him on the grounds of sheer stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Duiske wrote: »
    They should reduce the limit to zero and be done with it.
    That wouldn't be sensible. While I have no issue with a very low limit designed to make drinking and driving legally *almost* impossible the system needs to allow for a sensible residual alcohol content in a persons breath/blood.

That wouldn't be sensible. While I have no issue with a very low limit designed to make drinking and driving legally *almost* impossible the system needs to allow for a sensible residual alcohol content in a persons breath/blood.

Zero +/- the discretion of the garda involved is sufficient.

Zero +/- the discretion of the garda involved is sufficient.
    I would have to disagree quite strongly. While I have no issues with the Gardaí, I would have issues with placing a power of subjective adjudication in the hands of individuals in roadside situations regardless of the guidelines. It leaves too much room for the innocent getting prosecuted and the guilty being allowed to get off. I think that this type of subjective situation would present legal difficulties and court challenges. If you are referring to an informal non-legally binding discretion then it's a ridiculous suggestion.

In addition I believe that maintaining calibration of roadside testing equipment to a degree where it can accurately detect any alcohol without error would be extremely difficult.

I don't for a moment suggest that the described level need be high, just that it allow for accurate scientific decision making instead of a Garda having to decide to let someone go because they use alcohol based mouthwash.

I would have to disagree quite strongly. While I have no issues with the Gardaí, I would have issues with placing a power of subjective adjudication in the hands of individuals in roadside situations regardless of the guidelines. It leaves too much room for the innocent getting prosecuted and the guilty being allowed to get off. I think that this type of subjective situation would present legal difficulties and court challenges. If you are referring to an informal non-legally binding discretion then it's a ridiculous suggestion.

In addition I believe that maintaining calibration of roadside testing equipment to a degree where it can accurately detect any alcohol without error would be extremely difficult.

I don't for a moment suggest that the described level need be high, just that it allow for accurate scientific decision making instead of a Garda having to decide to let someone go because they use alcohol based mouthwash.

if any suspect roadside breath test is followed up by a scientific bloodtest back at the station, there would be very little room for error.

give people an inch (a half pint) and they'll take a mile (5 pints) and people die.

give people an inch (a half pint) and they'll take a mile (5 pints) and people die.
    If the blood alcohol limit were such that drinking half a pint would put someone over the limit then anyone who still drank and drove could be safely classified as an idiot. The only way to stop an idiots is enforcement not an impractical zero tolerance limit.

In any event it's largely an academic discussion for the foreseeable future given that the VFI are still one of the most powerful and effective Dáil lobby groups.

I've said my last on this thread as we're unlikely to sway each other to the others viewpoint.

• Advertisement

Snarler should have his license taken off him on the grounds of sheer stupidity.

Call me stupid if you have no point to make the simple fact is I am in the right.

Advertisement