Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Broken down cars on m50

Options
  • 08-11-2007 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone noticed more of these lately on the m50 particularly northbound. Saw a good few lately and what amazes me is 90% of them seem to be fiat puntos. I guess they just weren't built for those speeds.

Also just wondering what's the general procedure if (touch wood) it ever happens? I am with QD and have a full license so believe I have breakdown assistance included in the policy - must check that out. Do you stay in the car or outside? Should the red triangle be carried by everyone? Thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

leave on the hazard lights and put the triangle farther back on the hard shoulder if you have one. get out of the car and wait for assistance on a suitably safe area like a bank away from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Probably overheating in the fukup they call a motorway. What a national disaster that M50 is.
    On the other hand are there any reg plates on these vehicles? A lot of people with bangers dispose of them by parking them up and removing the reg plates so they don't have to pay for disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

There is a free M50 Recovery service. A 2 year contract was only signed recently. If you get stuck, call 1800-775050, 24 hours/7 days a week and they will come get you and grant you 24hrs storage before it starts costing you.

You will also find that this service covers the N4 from Palmerstown traffic lights to the Liffey Valley slip, with a similar area covered on the N7 also.

I suggest saving the number and utilising it to lessen some of the pain suffered using the area around the roadworks currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Does that recovery apply to the entire M50 or just the roadworks sections.

(not that I'm afraid I'm gonna break down on the M50; what are you implying - just 'cos I drive an Alfa?...Sheeshh...)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Yeah, good oul Puntos will chew through head gaskets, especially when regularly overheating. I think the free breakdown recovery only covers the road works section - it's mainly because if you break down and there's no hard shoulder you've effectively shut down one lane until you get it towed. Red triangles aren't a legal requirement in this country but are a good idea, especially if you travel raods without street lights. A lot of Europe requires triangles, hi-vis jackets etc. so I can imagine it'll come in here at some stage - and a good thing that'd be too!

As for Quinn Direct, their breakdown assist is only for fully comp policies AFAIK - check your policy to see if you have it. I have on mine and haven't had to use it yet... *touch wood*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

The problem is all the c*nts who feel they need to slow down for a good gawk at the luckless driver who broke down, thereby causing chaos on the road behind them.

Last night a white van was stopped in the center median with the hazards on - absolute fu*king pandemonium ensued - the car in front of me stopped as if they were unsure whether to pass it or not !

As for puntos not being build for the M50 speeds ??? come on what kinda rubbish is that have you ever been to anywhere else in Europe ? Puntos, cinquecento's, twingo's doing 150kph down the outside lane is the norm not the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Pfft, a two year old on a tricycle could do M50 speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

RobAMerc wrote: »
    As for puntos not being build for the M50 speeds ??? come on what kinda rubbish is that have you ever been to anywhere else in Europe ? Puntos, cinquecento's, twingo's doing 150kph down the outside lane is the norm not the exception.
    I think you're missing the point, cars overheat when they're going slowly.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point, cars overheat when they're going slowly.;)

I get you, but don't I think thats what the the OP meant .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cjt156 wrote: »
    Just the roadworks bit. There are signs when you're exiting the works that say "End of Free recovery area" which mean that if you break down, you're on your own.
    I think it's a good idea. I'd say that most people either don't have breakdown recovery, or aren't aware that their insurer offer it so would leave their car on the M50 for hours.

• Advertisement

cjt156 wrote: »

(not that I'm afraid I'm gonna break down on the M50; what are you implying - just 'cos I drive an Alfa?...Sheeshh...)
    seamus wrote: »
    Just the roadworks bit. There are signs when you're exiting the works that say "End of Free recovery area" which mean that if you break down, you're on your own.

Nah its the full length of the M50 from the M1 to the M11 setup by the NRA, see below for more:
    NRA wrote:
    The National Roads Authority (NRA) have launched a vehicle recovery service for the M50 motorway from Thursday, November 1st, 2007. The recovery service is being provided for the full length of the M50, from the M1 to the M11, to include all interchanges (click map to enlarge). The aim is to minimise traffic disruption caused by broken down vehicles particularly during peak travel times. The service is being provided by Kelly Motor Services on behalf of the NRA. Kelly Motor Services will provide four dedicated recovery vehicles, along with trained personnel, on or adjacent to the M50 Motorway during the designated hours of operation, which are as follows:

Monday to Friday: 6.00am to 8.00pm
    Saturday and Sunday: 9.00am to 6.00pm

Outside of these hours a call-out service will be provided by Kelly Motor Services, which will operate out of their existing depot in Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow. The vehicle recovery service can be activated by means of a free-phone number, which will be manned 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The free-phone number is 1800 77 50 50 and this number will be displayed along the M50 Motorway

M50 Traffic Management Phase 1

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah cool, that's new. I wonder is that forever and ever and ever?

seamus wrote: »
    Ah cool, that's new. I wonder is that forever and ever and ever?

I'm not sure and I can't find anything definite beyond the current 2 year contract, which is 1 week old today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

The 2 year contract is with Kellys and after that it is put out to tender again

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ciarsd wrote: »
    Nah its the full length of the M50 from the M1 to the M11 setup by the NRA, see below for more: M50 Traffic Management Phase 1
    Doesn't say it's free though?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Doesn't say it's free though?

Your right it's not mentioned on the M50 site :confused:, but it was mentioned in the press release in last weeks Irish Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's pretty sweet, didn't know about that....

It's a free to tow of the motorway, but not back to your gaff

NBar wrote: »
    It's a free to tow of the motorway, but not back to your gaff

What do you want, a hot cuppa and a 4 course dinner too? :p

It's towed off the M50 to eliminate the blockage/traffic it will cause and then they grant you 24 hours free storage before it starts costing you.

ciarsd wrote: »
    What do you want, a hot cuppa and a 4 course dinner too? :p

It's towed off the M50 to eliminate the blockage/traffic it will cause and then they grant you 24 hours free storage before it starts costing you.

I know that but just highlighted it in case others thought different

• Advertisement
Advertisement