Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol vs Diesel Prices

Options
  • 08-11-2007 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Don't know if this was ever posted before, apologies if it was......but can anyone explain the pricing of petrol and diesel in filling stations.

A couple of weeks ago when Petrol was about €1.09 or there abouts, Diesel was selling for €1.05/€1.06. Where petrol prices were dropping, there was about a 4/5cent difference between petrol/diesel.

But now prices have jumped to €1.16 for petrol (and rising), the diesel price is the same.

Why when the price of petrol jumps, does the diesel price suddenly become the same? Why isn't that 4/5cent difference kept? Is this more profiteering by the filling stations or is there a proper explanation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I "think" they subsidise the cost of petrol by increasing the price of diesel slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Home heating oil is basicly diesel, and coming into the winter, you have loads and loads of amercians needing oil for their homes, therefore the cost of diesel will increase.

As a barrel of oil has hit too record highs, both petrol and diesel will increase.

Yesterday, I travelled from Carrickmacross - Salthill and back again on the same day. I filled up in Carrickmacross at 1.13 for petrol, I couldnt believe as I drove to Galway petrol increases increase in the midlands to 1.28 in one station for petrol.

Now the question should be, how come there's a huge difference, ok economies of scale come into it, but by that much?

Its going to be a long winter, get the train or bus if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Yea, there are some mad price differences out there. Some of the prices are just complete pi**takes.

Wish I could take the Bus or Train, but unfortunately car is a necessity not a luxury for me (are you listening messers Ahern and Cowen????).

My question was pointed at the fact that the price gap seen between petrol and diesel, when the prices are a bit lower is not maintained when the prices go up.....very strange indeed.

With price rising fast, and no sign of going the other way, this is gonna have a big impact on the country.........a bumpy time ahead for all...........or the government could take it upon themselves to reduce the excise duty by 10/15 cent per litre (:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) as an emergency measure, to keep the auld economy on track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

Yesterday, I travelled from Carrickmacross - Salthill and back again on the same day. I filled up in Carrickmacross at 1.13 for petrol, I couldnt believe as I drove to Galway petrol increases increase in the midlands to 1.28 in one station for petrol.
    There is a price cartel in Galway and its well known locally.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sure is, paid 1.09 in Castlebar yesterday for my diesel, then onto Galway, 1.20 for Diesel in the same supplier, both StatOils! Someone is pulling the piss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

yop wrote: »
    Someone is pulling the piss
    A Mayo expression? :confused:

Statoil on Usher's Island in Dublin was reported to be charging €1.75 a couple of days ago.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

esel wrote: »
    Statoil on Usher's Island in Dublin was reported to be charging €1.75 a couple of days ago.

Well it's charging €1.79 / litre today :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

jayok wrote: »
    Well it's charging €1.79 / litre today :eek:
    Were the staff wearing balaclavas?

Not so Fado fado I remember that place used to be one of the cheapest places in Dublin for petrol and diesel.

Advertisement