Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oriental Fire Bellied Toads

• 08-11-2007 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I am thinking of getting two of these off my parents for Christmas (don't worry I know pets are for life not just for Christmas ;), especially with these guys as they apparently live for 15 years!!!!)

Can anyone tell me anything about them? I have looked up stuff on the internet but there is still a couple of questions that I can't really seem to answer.

1. How much would it cost to keep them per month?

2. Can they survive in the average dublin households temperature?

3. Are they awkward eaters, (like snakes sometimes are)?

4. Do many actually live to 15, how easy is it to treat them if they get sick?

5. Do they move around alot? I already have guinea-pigs, a rabbit, a gerbil, two dogs and foster kittens so I'm not looking for something that needs affection and cuddles each day more something that moves about and that I can watch while I study for school etc.

6. I would be hoping to put them on my desk in my bedroom, however there is a rabbit who lives in my room, I know they are toxic, could this cause a problem for her ?(obviously I won't let them get in contact with each other I was more thinking of fumes they could realise or something:rolleyes:)

7. Can they be kept in the plastic aquariams or do they need the glass ones and how often does their food escape?

8. And finally, are they good pets?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 reptileguy16

hi, i only bought 1 the other day. the cost starting of will be a bit high. youll need a tank, gravel, moss, a heat matt, a light ( a desk lamp will work. ) a big water bowl, some crickets, a thermometer, a hydrometer. and a spray bottle. tank size should be minimum 3 gallons per toad. the tank should be sprayed 2 times daily. and humidity should be kept at 70 to 90 percent. the cost to keep a month would be around 10 to 15 euro for crickets and minnows and earth worms can be collected from a pesticide free area. please do not let your toad come into any contact with any other animal. handle only when necessary and do so with moist hands feed as much as can be eaten every 3 days. as for the plastic tank a large exo terra faunarium would maybe do 1 adult but nothing smaller than that. they do make interesting pets and are active and fun to watch. hoped that helped and good luck

Advertisement