Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Final Week Eircom League action!

• 08-11-2007 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

Premier Division
    Friday November 9
    Bray Wanderers vs Sligo Rovers - Carlisle Grounds 7.45
    Cork City vs Bohemians - Turner's Cross 7.45 (live on RTE2)
    Galway United vs UCD - Terryland Park 7.45
    Shamrock Rovers vs Waterford United - Tolka Park 7.45
    St Patrick's Athletic vs Drogheda United - Richmond Park 7.45
    Longford Town vs Derry City - Flancare Park 7.45

First Division
    Saturday November 10
    Dundalk vs Kildare County - Oriel Park 7.45
    Kilkenny City vs Finn Harps - Buckley Park 7.45
    Athlone Town vs Cobh Ramblers - Lissywoollen 7.45
    Shelbourne vs Wexford Youths - Tolka Park 7.45
    Monaghan United vs Limerick 37 - Kingspan Century Park 7.45

===================

What can happen at this business end of the season?

Europe:
    to claim the Intertoto spot, Cork must beat Bohs and Bohs need a draw due to their superior goal difference

Relegation:
    Longford and Waterford are the only two sides who can automatically go down to the First Division.
    Longford are 3 points behind Waterford but have a superior goal difference so Longford must beat Derry City and then hope Waterford lose to Rovers. Waterford just need a draw to avoid the automatic drop

Relegation Play-offs:
    Longford, Waterford, UCD and Bray all can finish in the 11th relegation play-off position, Galway's superior goal difference will keep then up for another season.
    the same Longford/Waterford scenario applies so in the cases of Bray and UCD: a point in their final matches should be enough due to a superior goal difference over Waterford but if either side loses, they could be dropped into that 11th spot if Waterford beat Shamrock Rovers

First Division title/Play-offs
    simply if Cobh beat Athlone they are champions and Harps drop into the 2nd place play-off spot.
    Harps likely will have to rely on Cobh slipping up so they must be beat Kilkenny, if Cobh draw and Harps win, Harps go up. If Harps draw they must rely on Athlone beating Cobh if they are to go up. Dundalk are guaranteed the 3rd place play-off spot come what may.

=================

i'm going with....
    Cork for Intertoto
    Longford to win but Waterford to get something at Tolka so Longford 12th, Waterford 11th
    and sadly for Harps to steal the First

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

C'mon Longford!! Swap some of they're cup luck for league luck and they might pull it off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its the most exciting the bottom of the Premier has been since Derry almost got relegated in 2003. I hope Waterford can stay up, and as I cannot see Longford beating Derry, the result Vs Rovers should be immaterial. I would hope then that Waterford can win in the play off, providing they aint playing Cobh.

Re the 1st division, Finn Harps virtually have a walkover in their final match Vs Kilkenny, so Cobh absolutely have to beat Athlone. Saw Cobh play Monaghan the other day and looked nervous, but the have lost only one game in 32, and Athlone have nothing to play for really, so fingeres crossed for the away win, and Cobh to be promoted automatically, and also win their first piece of LOI Silverware since they came into the league.

I would think that City will have too much for Bohs again at The Cross to claim a miserable 3rd spot and guarantee Europe again, though if we do not win the cup, I think we should opt out of the Inter Toto - its a complete waste of time and effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

You've got to fancy Cork to get the result against Bohs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Bohs to get the intertoto spot.
    Longford to go down with Bray in the playoff spot.
    Cobh Ramblers to win the first division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

gustavo wrote: »
    You've got to fancy Cork to get the result against Bohs
    That you have. Here's hoping we can get a performance with bit of life in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Wish it was time for the match and it would all be over one way or another. Going to be a very tense night that is for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yeah looks like Longford will be going down alright. Unlucky for them considering how well they've played in the 2nd half of the season. Those 6 deducted points were always going to prove crucial.

Its unfortunate for Longford that Rovers can't finish any higher than 5th, otherwise they might be more up for the match against Waterford. Waterford to draw with Rovers and Longford to beat Derry.

In the 1st I can see wins for both Harps and Cobh thus leading Cobh to the promised land. Thats good news for Dundalk as I'd fancy our chances a lot more up in Donegal for the playoff than down in Cobh. Dundalk have an absolutely stinking record in Cobh. Not so bad up in Donegal with 2 wins and a draw in the last 4 meetings.

If we could beat Harps in the play off that would mean a repeat of last years "playoff" against Waterford. Hopefully we'll get the same result again(apart from the end bit were the FAI deemed the victory meaningless!)

The worst thing about the points deduction was it was totally avoidable.

Pighead wrote: »
    In the 1st I can see wins for both Harps and Cobh thus leading Cobh to the promised land. Thats good news for Dundalk as I'd fancy our chances a lot more up in Donegal for the playoff than down in Cobh. Dundalk have an absolutely stinking record in Cobh. Not so bad up in Donegal with 2 wins and a draw in the last 4 meetings.
    Thought Dundalk were written out of it, but it would be good to get them back into the Prem.

SectionF wrote: »
    Thought Dundalk were written out of it, but it would be good to get them back into the Prem.
    Nope not yet SectionF. Although the way we've played in the 2nd half of the season its amazing we managed to finish in 3rd.

Top team in Div 1 are automatically promoted. 2nd and 3rd play each other in a 1 leg playoff semi final with the 2nd place team at home(lookis like Harps at this stage). Winner of that plays 2nd bottom in Prem Division in playoff final.(Looks like Waterford but you never know)

Well thats the way it is today, could change depending on what notions the FAI take between now and the end of the season.

• Advertisement

Roll on 7:45. Bigger game than the cup final biggest game in years really.

Pighead wrote: »
    Top team in Div 1 are automatically promoted. 2nd and 3rd play each other in a 1 leg playoff semi final with the 2nd place team at home(lookis like Harps at this stage). Winner of that plays 2nd bottom in Prem Division in playoff final.(Looks like Waterford but you never know)
    Hope you make it. The more proper clubs in the top flight the better.

In other news... Kearney and McSweeney listed out injured. These two tore us apart in Dalymount, so I hope it's true. Has to affect the odds.
    We have a bunch out injured also, but no one who, eh, tore Cork apart that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

mcsweeney's suspended afaik, and i dont think kearney is injured.

fancy us to win.. hopefully we'll see a good crowd too.

and the frank and walters are playing at half time, brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/5802274.jpg

Shels ad for some game, wishful thinking on their part. Funny tho :D has to a pisstake from the Star

ndo for keane if Keane is injured otherwise same 11 as last week.

Maguires last ever game for pats :(

Foley to retire after it :(

2 most commited players we have.

other than that its a nothing game think we can win it.

Darragh to score anytime is a good bet.

kdjac

Is that Keith Fahey I see in a Pat's shirt? :p

SectionF wrote: »
    Is that Keith Fahey I see in a Pat's shirt? :p

Mulcahy gone to waterford, Maguire going to Shels :confused: Foley retiring, fahey to you lot...

maybe it was shels after all :D

kdjac

That St Pats coupon thingy is a pain in the rocks! Not only did I just have to go down to the shop to get change to pay for the bloody thing but it also leaves me with a feeling that i'm betraying my home town club.

Not to mention the fact i've been doing it for 2 years now and not even a sniff of a cash prize. Reckon this week could be the one though.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Mulcahy gone to waterford, Maguire going to Shels :confused: Foley retiring, fahey to you lot...

maybe it was shels after all :D

kdjac
    Last I heard your crowd had counterbid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Looks like an exciting start in Galway,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Quality finish in the cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Not good for Longford, or Waterford so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

we won !

goal of the season :D

Longford are down. Feel sorry for them as they've been fantastic for the last couple of months. Especially Mooney who banged in a hatrick tonight. Waterford are in the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Not the greatest game in Inchy Inchy Inchicore tonight, Faheys free-kick being the highlight. What a shot, what a save. Decent send-off to Maguire at the end, I'm sure its sad to see him go. Multiply that by about 20 and thats how Shels felt this time last year.

Ndo is still a god.

Nothing game and only Connors save the highlight.

Drogs won out 8 to 4 on the flare fine league, fair enough our retards should be ****ed out but Drosg display at halftime is what should be at all games.

Darragh :( :mad:

kdjac

What about the "rocket at the lino" count?

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    What about the "rocket at the lino" count?

thats in our 4.

Dunno if the bottle at the finnish lad will make it in tho.

Lot of scummers going to games this season.

Wonder what year the Clubs and gardai will do something about it.

/For the record Bohs the only ones who sent stewards to richer to **** out their own fans at the gate.

kdjac

thats in our 4.

Dunno if the bottle at the finnish lad will make it in tho.

Wonder what year the Clubs and gardai will do something about it.

/For the record Bohs the only ones who sent stewards to richer to **** out their own fans at the gate.

kdjac

I had a bag searched tonight for what I think is the first time in my Eircom League life. Don't usually bring a bag though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

You haven't heard about the infamous SSC (Saints Service Crew):D

• Advertisement

You haven't heard about the infamous SSC (Saints Service Crew):D

you mean sean?

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=500330400

kdjac

The players do not deserve this, the management do not deserve this the fans do not deserve this. To go down by a point. Id sooner go down by 20. To alan and all the players I doubht ye will ever read this but thankyou. Thankyou for showing passion and loyalty and the will to fight to the end. To the board members who cost us the six points.

I've seen more than just him on bebo;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

I had a bag searched tonight for what I think is the first time in my Eircom League life. Don't usually bring a bag though.

There's the problem so :D

Christ it is still as bad as it was last night. One ****ing point. On the plus side, three teams go up next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Christ it is still as bad as it was last night. One ****ing point. On the plus side, three teams go up next year.

No. 1 do.

• Advertisement

Was it not stated that next season three teams can go down? Only 1 up? Will have win the bloody thing then ;)

Was it not stated that next season three teams can go down? Only 1 up? Will have win the bloody thing then ;)
    Yep the Prem is gonna be 10 teams from 2009.

There'ss be yourselves, Dundalk/Cobh/Harps/Waterford and one or two other teams (hopefully ourselves, though I honestly can't see it) hoping to go up next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

We were absolute muck last night and got what we deserved which was nothing. The team had better buck up their ideas before the cup final or Longford will be in Europe next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

gimmick wrote: »
    We were absolute muck last night and got what we deserved which was nothing. The team had better buck up their ideas before the cup final or Longford will be in Europe next season!

I was at the cross for the game and from the start I was wondering how the hell Cork were going to get goals , little creativity and even worse finishing when the half chances did pop up .

Cruel OG though , just a freak accident .

Cobh Ramblers 1-0 up on Athlone

Finn HArps 3-0 up on Kilkenny

with ten minutes to go, as it stands Rams will be champions

hope they can hang on

• Advertisement

me too never been there and balleybofey is cold no matter what time of year it is :confused:

kdjac

http://www.stpatsfc.com/watch_video.php?id=85

highlights of Pats vs Drogs in u21 semi final.

Check out our goal :eek:

And our keeper makes a save or 2 in the peno shootout, lol one more match before the warm comfort of tv football takes over.

Must pick a winning good team to support its all the rage on boards. Liverpool? Utd? Blackburn?

kdjac

http://www.stpatsfc.com/watch_video.php?id=85

highlights of Pats vs Drogs in u21 semi final.

Check out our goal :eek:

And our keeper makes a save or 2 in the peno shootout, lol one more match before the warm comfort of tv football takes over.

Must pick a winning good team to support its all the rage on boards. Liverpool? Utd? Blackburn?

kdjac

put the top four big teams (man u, chels, arse, man city) into a bag and pick one at random

don't put liverpool in there as getting a chip out of your shoulder that big is going to really hurt, and your tv will only show the history channel, cause that's all "pool" fans talk about...

Meh, average goal. They'll all be overweight in two years anyway. ;)

Meh, average goal. They'll all be overweight in two years anyway. ;)

the celebration for the last peno save is class.

he saved everyone of drogs penos.

kdjac

all over, cobh are champions!

happy days

Cobh straight up.

Harps play Dundalk in a play off to see who plays waterford in a playoff to get into the PL.

Would fancy waterford but then again i havent seen any of the 1st div teams.

kdjac

the celebration for the last peno save is class.

he saved everyone of drogs penos.
    that guy is a legend at the penos.

But still, getting to a final on penos is fairly empty imo.:D

Cobh straight up.

Harps play Dundalk in a play off to see who plays waterford in a playoff to get into the PL.

Would fancy waterford but then again i havent seen any of the 1st div teams.

kdjac

Having seen all 3 teams play at least twice this season, I'd say Waterford will stay up.
    Dundalk very unconsistant.
    Finn Harps not an amazing team but better than Dundalk.
    Waterford if they play like they did against Rovers on Friday they will stay up.

DesF wrote: »
    that guy is a legend at the penos.

But still, getting to a final on penos is fairly empty imo.:D

The u21 rules are stupid for the knockouts your not allowed use any player who played 8 games fort he 1st team but can use them in the league stage, means everyones teams are weakened in the knockouts we lucky we have some decent young players.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement