Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor to 3g network?

• 08-11-2007 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭

any update on meteor launching there 3g network? will it happen before christmas, what are the rumours? i heard they were suppposed to launch it at the end of October but obviously that hasnt happened.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

i have not heard anything man.... lol wots with this bored? people leave peoples questions unanswered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Ah lads will ye give it a break. Meteor hasn't released any information publicly about going 3g (and personally, apart from data use which the irish public aren't too keen on) and to be quite honest, it would be in violation of the forum charter for anyone with insider information to publish it.

Whats this big fascination with 3g anyway? Most people i know who have it never use the features and then whine when their battery runs out faster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

the big fascination is that with 3g you can video call, connect your laptop via your mobile for broadband type speed via bluetooth, download music more quickly if your phone has decent memory which i have, watch highlights of soccer matches straight on your mobile & the list goes on & on & on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

the big fascination is that with 3g you can video call, connect your laptop via your mobile for broadband type speed via bluetooth, download music more quickly if your phone has decent memory which i have, watch highlights of soccer matches straight on your mobile & the list goes on & on & on

Video calling I've only ever done for the laugh, I don't even think the quality is good enough to consider (k800i).

The other stuff while nice I never use unless I'm really bored and away from a computer. It was nice at first but I quickly got bored of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Thats fine Jess, I do those things as well. The thing is that the vast majority of Irish customers do not, most people with 3g handsets have never used those features, especially video calling. Most assume you get better reception if you have this 3g thing.

3g is well over hyped and the services in ireland leave alot to be desired.

• Advertisement

Just because people in general dont use the service doesnt mean its over hyped. The technology is there & people can either use it or not. I just cant understand why meteor haven't released this service yet when it was purchased around March sometime. I've been very close swithin to Vodafone but i feel meteor are owed a chance because they are the company who have been very competitive who forced larger companies such as vodafone to bring in free texts etc. But i feel if meteor want to stay competitive they must launch their 3g service promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

3G is great. I'd find my mobile extremely boring if it didn't have it. I'd switch to Meteor if they brought it out to be honest. It's the reason I left o2 for 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Apparently next month, just before christmas with the SE K800i being one of their flagship phones. But this isn't guaranteed or the word of god, it's second hand information from a friend who is a meteor employee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Gazza22 wrote: »
    Apparently next month, just before christmas with the SE K800i being one of their flagship phones. But this isn't guaranteed or the word of god, it's second hand information from a friend who is a meteor employee.

will it be at the vodafone price though?

atm, if i unlock a SE K800i to meteor will it be supported for basic texts and calls even though there isn't a 3G network for vodafone phones?

I'm thinking of buying the SE k800i and straight away unlocking it to Meteor, will it be ok?

will it be at the vodafone price though?

atm, if i unlock a SE K800i to meteor will it be supported for basic texts and calls even though there isn't a 3G network for vodafone phones?

I'm thinking of buying the SE k800i and straight away unlocking it to Meteor, will it be ok?

There's no way of knowing the price at this stage. But it's the marketing that's holding up the whole launch, not the technical end of things as they made their first 3G video call about 2 months ago in HQ. Considering vodafone's new offer on the K800i, well they have the timeframe to match that price or indeed come up with a better deal on maybe a better SE model...who knows??

And regarding the unlocking, apparently it's also undecided within meteor as to whether they will adapt a policy similar to 3's, where by they will confine 3G settings to phones bought exclusively from Meteor [Although as we all know, the settings would be available within a short space of time online, but it's a real pain in the ass!] - this may make sense as they are launching in a market where 3G has been firmly established by their competitors and in turn, this will ensure they make money from their 3G rollout. But lets hope that doesn't happen.

• Advertisement

cheers Gazza for the helpful info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Gazza22 wrote: »
    with the SE K800i being one of their flagship phones.

good and all as that phone is, they'd want to do better than that for a "flagship" phone - it's been out since mid-2006 and has been superseded by the k810i and the k850i.

ablelocks wrote: »
    good and all as that phone is, they'd want to do better than that for a "flagship" phone - it's been out since mid-2006 and has been superseded by the k810i and the k850i.

Yeah, well Meteor have always been a tad bit behind on the "latest" phones.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ablelocks wrote: »

K810i is just a re-designed k800i with a higher price tag. And not many other Irish operators have the k850i

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

Was in the meteor shop last week looking for an upgrade and was advised to wait until after xmas as they'll be getting all the 3G phones in.
    Said there was a rumour going round that the K850 would be available too.

He said the network was already in place. Showed me his K800 that he's been testing for them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's the reason I left o2 for 3.

Same as and look how that turned out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

the employees int eh cork store i was talking to reckoned the 3g rollout would be for dublin this year and the rest of the country would be waiting for the spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

If you check the Meteor website you'll see them offering the E65 and N73 for sale (even though they don't bloody have any!) so they must be launching soon as these are both 3G phones.
    Seems a bit dumb not to have this in place before Christmas - mind you we are talking about a company run by Eircom!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

well, they've had the 6233 for ages, and that's a threeG enabled handset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The e65 does Edge too which meteor do... so that's not a great arugment. There's a lot of other advancements in newer 3G phones which don't include 3G! .. cameras, gps, pdfs, music players, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

ciaranfo wrote: »
    The e65 does Edge too which meteor do... so that's not a great arugment. There's a lot of other advancements in newer 3G phones which don't include 3G! .. cameras, gps, pdfs, music players, etc

They arent selling it til next year when they launch 3G network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

tw0nk wrote: »
    Source ?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

nokia n73 is on the meteor site which is a 3g video calling phone
    http://www.meteor.ie/personal/phones/details/id=30.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

tw0nk wrote: »

If by year, you mean week, then you are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Is that definite Chrislad? It's the difference between me moving back to O2 this weekend or not - don't mind hanging on another week but no way am I waiting until after Xmas - missus killed my K750 on Sunday spilt water on it all I have to use is a 6210 it's getting embarrassing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

i Spoke with a girl in the meteor shop in navan she said the 3g will be available in dublin and should be nationwide by next year.Not sure how informed she was but she said shes been gettin emails from there head department for months on this with different dates but she said the end of this month looked likely

chrislad wrote: »
    If by year, you mean week, then you are correct.

Source were the dundrum, wexford and waterford meteor stores, also I rang meteor customer care and they told me that even though the phone was up on the website it depends on when its decided to send the phones out to stores when they go on sale, ie as usual website is a load of crock :D

E65 and N83 Music Edition in stores now. Told ya :)

haha good man chrislad! im glad you proved me wrong, and N83 is a nice surprise...

prices?

definitely n83 and not n73?

• Advertisement

Yeah it's N73. Typing on iPhone with fat thumbs :)

Advertisement