Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!! MBNA payment from the UK

Options
  • 08-11-2007 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I moved to Londona few months back and I am having HUGE trouble paying into my Irish credit card.

It's an MBNA card (****). Is there ANY way other than doing the silly IBAN thing every month. I missed my last payment because I thought I had payed through HSBC online but it turns out that is only for UK MBNA cards. The money bounced back to me.

I did the IBAN thing 2 weeks ago and the money still isn't in my MBNA account. I'm freaking out to be honest. Nobody at MBNA or HSBC knows anything. It's £1,000 (sterling) that's gone "missing"!!!!

Does anyone know of an easier way? I'm pretty sure because of the late payments/no payments due to this my credit rating will be in the gutter!

Can anyone help? It's really getting me down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Unfortunately there isn't an easier way when it comes to doing the international payments :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Get a EURO draft from HSBC (drawn on an Irish bank), and post it to MBNA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I think the euro draft is the best idea. When I'm abroad i pay me MBNA card off with a cheque from my Irish bank account. if you have an Irish bank account get a cheque book, if you don't get a euro cheque book from your UK bank (if you can). All you have to do then is make the cheque payable to MBNa, with your card number written clearly across the top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Nimblepixie

I don't have any money with AIB anymore so a cheque book wouldn't be much use. Thanks for the Euro cheque book suggestion though for my UK account.

I'm still trying to track down the money I thought they paid in for me. ****ing muppets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I'm still trying to track down the money I thought they paid in for me. ****ing muppets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you trying to track down the money? Get your bank to sort it out. It sounds like their cock-up and once you have a receipt you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just check that a euro draft is cancellable if it gets lost in the post say - because i think that if a draft gets lost in the post the issuing bank wont refund you the money (remember news stories from a couple of years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

just check that a euro draft is cancellable if it gets lost in the post say - because i think that if a draft gets lost in the post the issuing bank wont refund you the money (remember news stories from a couple of years ago)

They won't refund the money if it is cashed, but if the original poster cancels it before it is there won't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Nimblepixie

Well it got sorted eventually. It seems the reference number I had attached to the payment wasn't taken down by the guy on the end of the phone so my payment was there, it was just in a holding account waiting for it to be claimed.
    A few quick questions about the time I made the payment, how much it was for and what bank it came from released it into my account and Robert is your mother's brother.

This month I went into the bank and did it over the counter. It's more expensive but now that I have it set up all I have to do is pop into a branch, give them my card and tell them how much I want sent to MBNA.

So anyone who plans on moving abroad, get rid of your MBNA card or set up a transfer about 2 weeks before your payment is due.

My tip of the year is though, NEVER get an MBNA card. Extortionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Nothing to show here that MBNA were extortionists really

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement