Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Comedy Event Ideas thread

• 08-11-2007 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Right folks, weve mentioned the idea of doing a boards stand up night and a lot of people seem interested. Personally I think this would be a good opportunity to give some of the would be comics who are floating around here (i noticed a few people said they'd like to give it a go but don't know where to start) a chance to get some stage time. Since we have one or two more experienced comics here (not wanting to speak for anyone), one of them might be able to be the MC for the night.

So if anyone has any thoughts, opinions or ideas (time, location etc.) on the subject post 'em here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Sounds like a good idea! What do you have in mind, how big or small a gig are we talking? Like people off boards performing and just boards people and their mates in the audience, kinda like a private thing? I work for a couple of comedy clubs so I might be able to sort something out with one of them for us if it's a small private kinda thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. If it were just say boards members and friends it would be a nice audience to ease first time comics in and get a show under their belt. Nothin' worse than starting off against a hostile crowd.

Sounds good, would there be enough people here interested in performing and coming along to make it worthwhile though? A hostile crowd is bad, but no crowd isn't any better man! If people are interested though I say it would be a good laugh and we should do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Why not getting in touch with who ever is organising the next Boards Beer and use that as a trial run.
    Boards Beers will have a good turn out and a solid base crowd to get the night going.

Sounds like a plan Rabies, good idea! Do you know who to pm about the Boards Beers events?

• Advertisement

orestes wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan Rabies, good idea! Do you know who to pm about the Boards Beers events?

Keep an eye on the Events forum. Boards Beer sign up and location details are always there. Also, banner ads appear a few weeks before a Boards Beer.
    I think it is usually Trojan that arranges things.

Cool, will keep an eye out for that then and I'll pm Trojan to just run the idea past him to see what he thinks about the whole thing

A christmas Boards Beer is probably in the pipe line. Keep a look out for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i havent bn able to post until now so i just wanna say i think this is a great idea, i pledge my support! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bryan Patrick

I've been running LaughterBirth comedy club at the Russel Court Hotel. We've been looking into running an open mic style night, I'd be happy to assist in some manner especially if it were to become a regular event

• Advertisement

"laughterbirth?!" haha great name for a comedy club....almost as good as the criachouse!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

KarlH and papasmut also wanted to run some kind of event in the Sugar Club for SSF, maybe try them?

I would love to do this but I'd like to do something different (and potentially more scary) like a Q&A from the floor for 30 minutes. I could do that a lot easier then 15 minutes of stand up :)
    I've done 4 hours of impromptu before during an auction and found it ok...

If I can help, let me know by PM. I'm up to tits right now...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

almost as good as the criachouse!

Which in turn is almost as good as the Craichouse.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Which in turn is almost as good as the Craichouse.

haha **** off man!

but btw i just wanna say that i think tryin to coinside (sp?) the comedy event with the boards beer isnt a good idea, heres two "do not's" for stand up gigs:

1)no free gigs. they don't work. at a college especially, it means people can wander in and out, they have no investment in it (what do they lose if they're told to leave?) and by charging people are at least going "i am interested enough in comedy to pay money. i am not here hoping there is a gap between acts so i can talk about jesus on the microphone for two minutes."

2) have your venue be about comedy. don't have it on in a bar where the local fishing club is also having it's annual plaice and pints night.

as you can see putting the comedy on the same night and place as the boards beer wouldnt be the best idea!

thanks to damon blake for the "bad gig" points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Don't be nervous - give it a go!

For budding stand-ups I’d recommend Ciaran McMahon’s Workshop.
    http://www.standupireland.com. There’s an new course in the new year. It helps to know your material well.

If you prefer learning from books get Zen and the Art of Stand-up Comedy by : Jay Sankey.

If you are looking for a venue, he could help secure upstairs in Doyle’s College Green on a Sunday or Monday night or a Saturday afternoon.

I’ll be performing in the “Battle of the Axe”, Ha’penny Bridge Inn this Tuesday December 18th, doors open 9:30, and in Doyle’s on Jan 13th.

If you can’t make it see my 1st performance at http://www.joll.ie

A kid wakes up and finds Santa in the Bedroom.
    Kid says to Santa, “Are you from ‘Fathers for Justice’?”

Joseph

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Guys, I'd really like to try do something for the next boards beers/event. I have an idea that we might do one in Febuary or March, so I'll come back here when I'm starting to make it happen. I'd be of the opinion that maybe 4 or 5 10-15 min slots would be the most that would be workable, but we'll not get bogged down with the semantics. The Christmas beers was a bit to "filled up" with the Boards.IeDOL thing and the awards (and me talking ****e on the mic :D).

What I'd really like is a full on boards talent show where the singers, instrument players and the stand-ups all par-take, but that might be wishful thinking in terms of trying to organise. We shall see!

I'll let ye know what's inm the pipeline when I start making moves with it.

Advertisement