Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas 'Slab' Murphy arrested

Options
  • 08-11-2007 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1108/murphyt.html

The CAB seem to have finally have caught up with him. Good to see them targetting republican smugglers and not continuing to turn a blind eye for the sake of the peace process. Some of the figures I have heard flying around about his wealth are collosal. He got away with a lot during the 'Troubles', looks like his luck's ran out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought he had been arrested and his diesel operation broken up earlier in the year?

edit it was 2006 and Gerry Adams proclaimed the following
    Tom Murphy is not a criminal. He's a good republican and I read his statement after the Manchester raids and I believe what he says and also and very importantly he is a key supporter of Sinn Féin's peace strategy and has been for a very long time

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1108/murphyt.html

The CAB seem to have finally have caught up with him. Good to see them targetting republican smugglers and not continuing to turn a blind eye for the sake of the peace process. Some of the figures I have heard flying around about his wealth are collosal. He got away with a lot during the 'Troubles', looks like his luck's ran out.

He's only been arrested so far so if I were you I'd wait before uncorking the champagne.

As Mike said, he's been arrested before and he's still a free man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

btw is he still the 'alledged' Chief of Staff of the IRA?

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/northernirelandassembly/story/0,,2200767,00.html

just found this. Murphy wasn't angry becaue a mob attacked and killed a man who had to 'cheek' to win a fist fight with a Provo, but because it'd bring heat on his smuggling activities. Hence yesterdays arrest?

I wonder are Adams' and McGuinness' responses genuine or just a bit of smoke and mirrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 alkalinemono

btw is he still the 'alledged' Chief of Staff of the IRA?

Nope he left the IRA after Sinn Feins Support for the PSNI if memory serves.

I wouldnt believe anything I read in the papers in regards to republicans but thats just my own personal opinion.

• Advertisement

He did however sue a newspaper that proclaimed him to be a chief of staff of the IRA.
    He lost.

Ergo you can draw your own conclusions from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

[
    I wonder are Adams' and McGuinness' responses genuine or just a bit of smoke and mirrors.

It's actually 'smoke and daggers'

Tristrame wrote: »
    He did however sue a newspaper that proclaimed him to be a chief of staff of the IRA.
    He lost.

Ergo you can draw your own conclusions from that.

I dont think anyone disputes that, but is he still the chief of staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Until we get rid of gangsters like the slab we will never move on.I wont hold my breath though ,he will have the best lawyers as some are not fussy where the money comes from. Lets see if the Government has the resolve to stand up to these gangsters who appear do do as they like .

It's actually 'smoke and daggers'

this is the phrase I was refering to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_and_mirrors
    wikipedia wrote: »
    More generally, "smoke and mirrors" may refer to any sort of presentation by which the audience is intended to be deceived, such as an attempt to fool a prospective client into thinking that one has capabilities necessary to deliver a product in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

this is the phrase I was refering to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_and_mirrors

I think there was a little sarcasm there after Berties Bushism a few days ago

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Speaking of Slab, has he ponied up the large sum he owes the Sunday Times yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

House of Smoke and Daggers, no?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

does anybody have anything that backs up the idea that it was a political choice not to focus on murphys criminal activities during the peace process over above the chance that the guards might have difficulty getting anything to stick on him, I mean now they have to go after his tax affairs ala capone.

gerry adams quote is hard to swollow but did anything ever come of that charge on murphy in relation ot the manchester properties?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

politics ,religion and sex but it always boils down to money .The Government is short of a few bob now so the slab is good for it .

In the book 'Bandit Country' a senior RUC souce is quoted as saying that the authorities turned a bit of a blind eye to smuggling etc, he likened it to 'killing home rule with kindness' and 'drowning the revolution in baby milk'. If I think of it later I'll dig the book out and get the exact quote and who exactly said it.

In the book 'Bandit Country' a senior RUC souce is quoted as saying that the authorities turned a bit of a blind eye to smuggling etc, he likened it to 'killing home rule with kindness' and 'drowning the revolution in bby milk'. If I thin f it later I'll dig the book out and get the exact quote and who exactly said it.

Great book all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

In the book 'Bandit Country' a senior RUC souce is quoted as saying that the authorities turned a bit of a blind eye to smuggling etc, he likened it to 'killing home rule with kindness' and 'drowning the revolution in baby milk'. If I think of it later I'll dig the book out and get the exact quote and who exactly said it.

They didn't have much choice. For an RUC man to serve even a summons for a traffic offence in South Armagh would have involved a British battalion protecting him in the North and an Irish Army/GS operation protecting them from the south. Policing as we know it didn't happen along the border.

well a difference of ignoring smuggling because you need to focus on terrorism and you can't move around without a constant threat of attack and tackling smuggling once the ceasefires came about, I don't disbelieve that they continued to ignore it for the sake of bigger a goal but there still two different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Until we get rid of gangsters like the slab we will never move on.
    And just why is he a gangster?
    he will have the best lawyers as some are not fussy where the money comes from.
    If the authorities are so sure that he is involved in gangsterous activities then no lawyer will save him.
    RUC? Must be true then so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Story in todays MOS paper that a brother of a FF TD in Louth put up bail for Slab, make what you think of that! :)

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=105&sid=1288825

Judge Flan Brennan accepted $102,500 in sureties from the Murphy family, including deeds to two plots of land provided by a sister and brother-in-law.

well then they both must be related by marriage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Nope he left the IRA after Sinn Feins Support for the PSNI if memory serves.

He didn't.

Advertisement