Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graeme Souness

• 08-11-2007 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Watching the Irish coverage of football recently it really looks to me like the misery duo (Dunphy and Giles) are pushing Souness as the next Irish manager.

Kind of funny in a way. I think what they're basically saying is:

"we're the real football hierarchy in this country, the FA are retarded and we want this man as the next manager"

It was only a matter of time really.

The other day it got particularly bad, Billo asked Souness how he would have handled the Stephen Ireland affair differently. Souness gave a perfect politician's Clinton-esque answer about 'putting an arm aroudn the boy'.

After the Celtic match, they were discussing McGeedy and Dunphy basically said 'he'll be a great asset for you won't he Graeme?"

Honest opinion time.....

would you like him as manager?

I know he didn't succeed with Newcastle but that place is a managerial graveyard. Keegan, Robson, Alerdyce?(a bit early though). Same goes for Liverepool. people are now saying that Rafa mightn't succeed there and there's no way we're going to get someone like him.

I don't think international management is the exact science that club management is and I don't think that we're going to get a top top manager. Souness at the moment stands out from the crowd as he's had a long career and a lot of it's been really successful.

I'm really warming to the idea.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

He does seem to have more of an aura of professionalism about him than some of our recent managers but his results in club management have been consistently mediocre/poor. His stint with Liverpool is regarded by some people as the beginning of their league drought, and he didnt exactly bring Southampton or Blackburn on much either.
    And his stint with Newcastle? Well, I know its a tough place for a manager but that club seriously regressed even further under his tenure. Boumsong for 8m?

Although the planting of the Galatasary Flag in the middle of Fenerbache's pitch remains one of the funniest/craziest things I've ever seen in football
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kQxL5dUXSs

Also his two footed horror tackle on Dwight Yorke in training with Blackburn is another legendary story: "Take that you playboy cnut!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Didn't he get Blackburn back to the PL, and then establish them there? He's probably not the ideal choice, but lets face it, after the way Staunton has left the team, there's never going to be a huge amount of takers.

I'd hope that the anti-Rangers sentiment wouldn't come out of some elements in this country if he does get the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

"The other day it got particularly bad, Billo asked Souness how he would have handled the Stephen Ireland affair differently. Souness gave a perfect politician's Clinton-esque answer about 'putting an arm aroudn the boy'."

I was annoyed at this, it was as if they were interviewing him for the job on TV. I think RTE should have seen that if might not be too fair having a candidate for the Irish job on the show unless they're gonna give all the other candidates the same chance.

It was a bit of a love in between him, Giles and Dumphy. What happens if he gets the job and makes a mess of it, will Eamo be able to put the boot in then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

no no no no no no no :mad::mad::mad:

he is a terrible manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I would be happy to see Souness get the job myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

astrofool wrote: »
    Didn't he get Blackburn back to the PL, and then establish them there? He's probably not the ideal choice, but lets face it, after the way Staunton has left the team, there's never going to be a huge amount of takers.

I'd hope that the anti-Rangers sentiment wouldn't come out of some elements in this country if he does get the post.

I think he would have the respect of the players.
    Didn't do too bad a job at Blackburn got them to 6th a couple of times and got them into Uefa cup. I wouldn't count the Newcastle job as that is somewhat a Poison chalice.

I would be well up for him being manager (wouldn't have said it 10-15 years ago though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Wouldnt be too keen on him , depends what the viable alternatives are though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Boumsong for 8m?

I know that's a joke(especially with Ali at Southampton) but managers have scouts working for them and at Ireland there'll be no signing of players.

He's done pretty well with all his clubs apart from Newcastle and Liverpool and nearly all the managers that did succeed in those places are long dead.

IMO he is competent. Some people don't like it as he couldn't win the premiership with a big club.

4 managers have won the premiership....4!!

I truly believe that in this day of 100k per week pay cheques anyone with a decent grasp of tactics and the ability to motivate their players can be a good international manager.

Souness has both these in abundance and despite the newcastle/liverpool spells probably the best record of success of anyone in the running for the job.

Although, I don't think it would be too much to ask for one of Ireland's new gazillionare property developers to stump up Gus Hiddink's wages for 4 years. Stingy cu*nts!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i wouldnt like to see him go as a pundit, i think hes the best on rte.
    as an international manager im not sure, he was ****e at signing players (Neil Ruddock, Boumsong) but i reckon he would be a good man manager. hes also played under Paisley which i reckon ups his stock, + all those medlas hes won means he knows what a winning mentality is... something staunton never really had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Hows that Dublin rag handling all of this (I cant remember the name i think its the Herald?) I remember they ran a massive story about 5 or so years agoout how anit-irish (and quite possibly catholic) Souness was during his club managerial career.

I reckon he'd be a good manager for ireland, if nothing else he's instill some spirit and self belief within the team, which lets face it is severely lacking under staunton.
    And theres always the bonus of him not being able to sign players..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

emc2 wrote: »
    I was annoyed at this, it was as if they were interviewing him for the job on TV
    yeah, darragh moloney was doing it on the premiership too. then when the wigan job popped up, he was trying to say that both jobs would be great for whoever got them but basically just ended up whoring himself around to any job in football...
    apart from that, i think i'd be happy enough with him. i always thought he did a decent job at blackburn (hopefully he might play duff as a proper winger again and get something more out of him) and he shows a decent understanding of tactics, etc. as a pundit.

plus in international management, there's no transfer market so he wouldn't be allowed sell someone like beardsley, sign someone like boumsong (thankfully there's some suggestions that there were "irregularities" in this one) or sign some chap who he was told was george weah's cousin ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Jazzy wrote: »
    he was ****e at signing players (Neil Ruddock, Boumsong)

Mo Johnstone, Terry Butcher, Chris Woods, Ray Wilkins, Trevor Steven, Richard Gough....

Bought more than a few duds too over the years, in fairness, and mostly for Liverpool, but he brought Robbie Fowler through the ranks there too.

Wouldn't be first choice in an ideal world, but it's not an ideal world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    yeah, darragh moloney was doing it on the premiership too. then when the wigan job popped up, he was trying to say that both jobs would be great for whoever got them but basically just ended up whoring himself around to any job in football...
    apart from that, i think i'd be happy enough with him. i always thought he did a decent job at blackburn (hopefully he might play duff as a proper winger again and get something more out of him) and he shows a decent understanding of tactics, etc. as a pundit.

plus in international management, there's no transfer market so he wouldn't be allowed sell someone like beardsley, sign someone like boumsong (thankfully there's some suggestions that there were "irregularities" in this one) or sign some chap who he was told was george weah's cousin ;)

Someone already pulled that trick for Ireland some bloke called Jason Byrne said he was Robbie Keane's cousin and got a call up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

He does seem to have more of an aura of professionalism about him than some of our recent managers but his results in club management have been consistently mediocre/poor. His stint with Liverpool is regarded by some people as the beginning of their league drought, and he didnt exactly bring Southampton or Blackburn on much either.
    And his stint with Newcastle? Well, I know its a tough place for a manager but that club seriously regressed even further under his tenure. Boumsong for 8m?

Although the planting of the Galatasary Flag in the middle of Fenerbache's pitch remains one of the funniest/craziest things I've ever seen in football
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kQxL5dUXSs

Also his two footed horror tackle on Dwight Yorke in training with Blackburn is another legendary story: "Take that you playboy cnut!!"

That was the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life. He should get the job just for that. If we beat England at (assuming we play them) he can stick an Irish flag in Wembley stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ali Dia, that is all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

He should get the job, i hate the way people bang on about how bad a job he done at Liverpool. Ive said it for years, Dalglish left him with a poor squad, the good players we did have were getting too old to perform. He signed some duds but he did some good things with the club too.

He done a good job at Rangers, was succesful in Turkey, done a great job at Blackburn. The only blip on his CV would be Newcastle, and dont be slating him over Boumsong, he was one of the most sought after defenders when he was at Auxerre, he was thought of more highly than Mexes.

And of course, id love him to get it just to see the reaction of the celtic brigade.

Advertisement